• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.
  • Please Note - Medical Advice

Please keep in mind that posts on this forum are from members of the public sharing personal opinions. It is not a replacement for qualified medical advice from a veterinarian. Many illnesses share similar symptoms but require different treatments. A medical exam is necessary for an accurate diagnosis, without which appropriate treatment cannot be given.

You should always consult your vet before following any suggestions for medication or treatment you have read about. The wrong treatment could make your rabbit worse or mean your vet is unable to give the correct treatment because of drug interactions. Even non prescription drugs can do harm if given inappropriately.

We are very grateful to members who take time to answer other members questions, but please do be clear in your replies that you are sharing personal experience and not giving instructions on what must be done.

Urgent Medical Advice: If you need, or think you might need, urgent medical advice you should contact a vet. If it is out of working hours phone your vet's normal number and there should be an answer phone message with instructions on what to do.

simon acting weird??? please read and help

simonsmybunny

Warren Scout
Hello, Simon has been weird today and im concerned.
He ate this morning but hasnt touched food this PM, he is leragic and has just slept all afternoon. His ears feel cold to touch. Hasnt had a poo for a few hours and has been ignoring Lucy his new girlfriend all day.
he feels warm, belly not hard or anything. I did cut his nails yesterday.
Am i being overprotected? Is he just being overly sleepy? Do rabbits have sleep days?
Help.........

You are not being overprotective. A little healthy paranoia is necessary when it comes to rabbit welfare. Try to tempt him with his favourite food. If he refuses to eat take him to the vets, as rabbits go downhill fast.

He needs to see a vet, if he isn't suffering a GI episode yet it sounds like he is headed for one. :(

If he is refusing food and is cold and lethargic then he is poorly.
I would contact your Vet ASAP.
You can try to tempt him to have a drink, offer some cooled boiled water from a bowl. A heatpad would be helpful too.
Getting him to hop about might help get his guts going, but really it sounds like a Vet consult is needed.

Good luck :)

I agree with Antigone. Get him to the vets - rabbits are very good at hiding illness - so if he is off colour it could be something needing treatment. Over the last month I have had a sick guinea pig and rabbit. Both times the first thing I noticed was a change in behaviour, and both times they needed vet treatment. Its always worth checking.

I would advise a trip to the Vets :)

Bella stopped eating and appeared lifeless, (she was poorly anyways though), i took her to the Vets, and they admitted her. I sadly lost Bella to Stasis. Not saying Simon is suffering from this, but i wouldnt want to risk it.

:)

he doesnt eat an awfull lot anyway....he has never been the biggest muncher....never found treats he loves. Usually he is running around and being naughty and he is just sat under the xmas tree.....
I have the flu....could that be it?

he doesnt eat an awfull lot anyway....he has never been the biggest muncher....never found treats he loves. Usually he is running around and being naughty and he is just sat under the xmas tree.....
I have the flu....could that be it?

I really think you need to contact the Vet.

Rabbit can't get 'the flu' and it's not just that he isn't hungry....the other symptoms you have reported are classic signs of a sick rabbit. Rabbits, as prey animals, are very good at hiding their illnesses incase a predator see's it as a sign of weakness and singles them out.

If he is ill enough for you to know something isn't right then it follows he is ill enough to need a vet.

Without wanting to panic you, tomorrow may well be too late. It is always better safe than sorry with bunnies.

Rabbit can't get 'the flu' and it's not just that he isn't hungry....the other symptoms you have reported are classic signs of a sick rabbit. Rabbits, as prey animals, are very good at hiding their illnesses incase a predator see's it as a sign of weakness and singles them out.

If he is ill enough for you to know something isn't right then it follows he is ill enough to need a vet.

Without wanting to panic you, tomorrow may well be too late. It is always better safe than sorry with bunnies.

I agree.

At the very least you would need to ring your vets for advice.

However I feel it sounds like stasis :( Arnie was like this back in July and I almost lost him and would of done if I hadn't taken him in striaght away :(

What does his belly feel like? If it's like an empty sac you really need to get him in straight away.

Do you have any fresh pineapple juice? Try giving him some of that?

Is he or Lucy malting much ATM?

If you dont get him to the vets, you will need to give him belly rubs, give him something warm to sit on, more belly rubs, try and get him to move about a bit, try to get him to eat, more belly rubs etc etc.

I hope he gets better soon, it sounds like he may need gut stimulants and pain killers. He possibly has dental problems but I doubt they would come on so suddenly, regardless dental probs still cause stasis.

Good luck and keep us posted :)

i totally agree -you need to get to a vets. i lost 2 to stasis during the summer and it was from we noticed a change i rang vet straight away -vet was brilliant but sadly not quick enough. hope he is ok. let us know how he goes

i totally agree -you need to get to a vets. i lost 2 to stasis during the summer and it was from we noticed a change i rang vet straight away -vet was brilliant but sadly not quick enough. hope he is ok. let us know how he goes

Yes many say hours is not enough, sadly in your case the quickest you acted was not enough :cry: Sorry to hear about your losses :cry:

typical as soon as i get worried he changes. he has eaten some food now....two drops and some munch on his pellets...He is running round a bit more..has had a poo....Should i still phone?

At the very least you would need to ring your vets for advice.

However I feel it sounds like stasis :( Arnie was like this back in July and I almost lost him and would of done if I hadn't taken him in striaght away :(

What does his belly feel like? If it's like an empty sac you really need to get him in straight away.

Do you have any fresh pineapple juice? Try giving him some of that?

Is he or Lucy malting much ATM?

If you dont get him to the vets, you will need to give him belly rubs, give him something warm to sit on, more belly rubs, try and get him to move about a bit, try to get him to eat, more belly rubs etc etc.

I hope he gets better soon, it sounds like he may need gut stimulants and pain killers. He possibly has dental problems but I doubt they would come on so suddenly, regardless dental probs still cause stasis.

Good luck and keep us posted :)

What does an empty sac feel like? his belly feels normal for him
He has drank and ate now...is moving around.

Just like an empty bag, just the material, nothing inside.

Glad he's picking up a bit now.

If he's still not 100% by bed I'd set your alarm a few times in the nght to get up and check on him :roll:

Men :lol:

damn men!!!!:roll::roll::roll: He is now appearing normal....dont know what happened? he must have had a busy evening and needed a big sleep.
Im keeping an eye....he is jumping, eating, had a poo and wee....have phoned out of hours vets and they said he sounds ok now. If he goes funny again to phone back. Will def take him tommorrow with Lucy to et him checked though.

ahhhhhhhhhhhhhhhh now what do i do? Could this be why he was acting funny? Havent changed any of his food....cleaned off as mch as i could and he is now doing the rest....

Back