• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

Why do rabbits stomp?

~ Cat ~

Wise Old Thumper
Hi folks.

When I tell Lola off she bounces off and flicks her back feet at me. Before she jumps on my bed/sofa to see me she bangs so hard on the floor you can hear her downstairs.

I kinda think she is been sassy - am I being correct????:D

But why would she be angry or frightened when she is jumping up on my bed to lick me to death?

Bunnies are SOOOOOOO COMPLEX! :shock:

Stomping can mean anything. Sometimes D&J do it when I am sorting their pellets out, when they are excited, or other times when they are mad.

Flicking their feet usually means you/something has annoyed them, so don't do it again.

Hope this helps:D x

She flicks her feet at me when I tell her off for eating the wallpaper/carpet or chasing my elderly cats, in fact she is the Vicky Pollard of the bunny world!

Yeah mine flick their feet when they're annoyed about something- generally that I've told them off or tried to cut their nails!

My boy rabbit was thumping one day. It was really loud and we couldn't work out why. Turns out it was because we'd moved things around in the house and so it all looked different. That had puzzled him and so he was banging. Bizarre!!!

Maybe she's just warning you she's coming!

Nicholas is a barometer bunny! When he stomps for unexplained reason (qiuet house, kids in bed, etc), you can be pretty sure it's gonna rain! :shock:

Stomping

About 4 months ago, Ozzy was stomping one night, for ages, continuously.

We looked around the room and couldnt see anything. We put a carrot in his cage to see if it would calm him down then put him in his cage and went to bed.

We came down the next morning at 5am to him continuoulsy stomping yet again. We found in a corner, squashed up again his teddy bear. Stomping.

"MUMMY! GET IT OFF!! OFF I TELL YOU OFF!!"

Turns out, there was a large beetle on his carrot. He'd obviuosly seen it wandering around the previous night, and now decided it wanted his carrot.

Ozzy is a giant french lop, and HUGE at that! The bettle was quite large, however, about the size of a 50 pence!

:lol::roll:

One of my books says that they can do it when they're "summoning" you, so maybe she's just demanding attention :lol:

..... and flicks her back feet at me. Before she jumps on my bed/sofa to see me she bangs so hard on the floor

When Im lying on the bed or sofa honey thumps just before jumping up, I think its to warn me that im just about to have a bunny land on me :lol:

when I move him out of an area hes not supposed to be in he will run and flick his back feet at me, to show his disapproval of me interrupting his exploring, and to kind of 'shake me off'.

Pumpkin

i have a male rabbit names pumpkin and hes about 5 months old
he bites he scratches and when i put hi down after handling him he jumps outta my arms and stomps his feet as hard as he can and i dont understand why

Stomping can mean that's all you getting now sod off/ I'm done with fusses now

Don't do that again

I want it now

Why did you do that

There was a scary sound or smell

That frightened me

Move out of the way

Give me more

You idiot

And many many more it's usually a response or command lol

thanks hes just became a father 2 days ago but i dont think he realizes
the mother is VERY aggressive at the moment

thanks hes just became a father 2 days ago but i dont think he realizes
the mother is VERY aggressive at the moment

Is he still in with the Doe and kits ? If so he must be removed straight away

Also, if he is still with her he has probably impregnated her again and so there will be yet another litter in 30-32 days time.

As an aside, this is a very old thread and the OP is now sadly deceased.

Remembering ~cat~ with much affection.

Stomping can mean that's all you getting now sod off/ I'm done with fusses now

Don't do that again

I want it now

Why did you do that

There was a scary sound or smell

That frightened me

Move out of the way

Give me more

You idiot

And many many more it's usually a response or command lol

Agree with all of the above! :lol:

I have two that include stomping as just a part of their conversation with me or one another. And I see it most often used just before they go on some crazy binky-thon. They're definitely not doing it only because they're frightened.

Also, if he is still with her he has probably impregnated her again and so there will be yet another litter in 30-32 days time.

Oh my goodness I didn't realise :( that makes me sad :(

Agreed Cat was always so much fun :(

Back