• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.
  • Please Note - Medical Advice

Please keep in mind that posts on this forum are from members of the public sharing personal opinions. It is not a replacement for qualified medical advice from a veterinarian. Many illnesses share similar symptoms but require different treatments. A medical exam is necessary for an accurate diagnosis, without which appropriate treatment cannot be given.

You should always consult your vet before following any suggestions for medication or treatment you have read about. The wrong treatment could make your rabbit worse or mean your vet is unable to give the correct treatment because of drug interactions. Even non prescription drugs can do harm if given inappropriately.

We are very grateful to members who take time to answer other members questions, but please do be clear in your replies that you are sharing personal experience and not giving instructions on what must be done.

Urgent Medical Advice: If you need, or think you might need, urgent medical advice you should contact a vet. If it is out of working hours phone your vet's normal number and there should be an answer phone message with instructions on what to do.

Urgent - rabbit not eaten last night or today - what can I do?

Middy

Warren Scout
Middy's poos have ranged from small to normal of late but she has been fine overall. Last night, she didn't eat (very unusual) and today she has not touched anything. The last thing she had was a small bit of banana skin at 10.30pm yesterday.

I have to go out soon and am very worried about leaving her all day.

She seems very listless and uncomfy. Help.

Can I syringe some pellets? Or should I get infacol? I have one hour before I go out. If she is still ill this evening I think I shall try an emergency vet... :(

If she is behaving like this - I suggest taking her to a vet ASAP. My guinea pig did this - turns out she had gut stasis and needed an injection from the vet to get her gut moving - then i syringed food into her.
Good luck

hi

Yeah i agree you cant leave her vet asap as if you say shes ate nothing then her body will be shutting down!
Has she ate hay at all?
Have you tried syringing her any water/pineapple juice (also good for guts) try that if you have any weetabix or pellets soak them and try get them syringed into her to try and get guts moving to give her best chance.

Thanks folks – I think I will take her to the vet and also try syringing some mushed pellets now. I can't go out until I know she is OK, as I'll be worrying like hell...

Last edited:
I wouldn't syringe food - boiled (cooled) water yes, but not food at this stage. Yes, definitely contact the vets asap. Good luck!

Vets straight away - tonight could be too late. Don't syringe food as if it is a blockage you could cause more damage doing this, the vet should be able to feel or do X-ray to confirm.

Hope she will be OK.

I got a tiny tiny bit of mush and water in her but really miniscule amounts. OK am off to get ready now... vet is waiting for me at 11.45... thanks all, will keep you posted. x

Good luck, let us know how you get on.

Its worrying, Bella did this to me and we got her to Vets straight away. :)

Urgent - rabbit not eaten last night or today - what can I do? u/d - we lost her

Thanks all.

Middy's in hospital...The vet, who seemed really switched on, said she needed painkillers, antibiotics and treatment for a distended stomach but they don't know what caused it yet... might be fur. X-ray was not conclusive.

Hoping that as they have drained fluid from her stomach she will start to now pick up, as we obviously want to avoid an operation if possible. I have everything crossed.

Vibes gratefully received... x

Last edited:
She's in the best place. Squidgy had to stay in for a week once, but recovered fine.
Sending vibes to your little one.

How is Middy today?

Sending massive vibes for Middy. She is in the best place.

One of mine had a blockage last Christmas Day and she came through it (eventually) without an op. Fingers crossed Middy will be OK.

Get lots of herbs and veg ready to try to tempt her when she gets home.

Update: she died

She died 20 mins ago. I feel so guilty, should have taken her in the night before.

I am devastated. She was my friend.

I lost my bun Monty the same way, he chewed the furniture and it blocks his intestine. So sorry for your loss.

Get yourself a rehome bun in your area, many rabbits are waiting for months in a small living area inside a rescue center, waiting for a good home.

here's a list of rescue center in UK

http://www.rabbitrehome.org.uk/centres.asp

or go to the Rabbit In NEED section and see who's available

Or post in the rabbit in need section, many members w/ rescue centers will response to you

Hello
I am so sorry for your loss.
My Eric went downhill this morning and I had to take him to the vets. I just hope we caught him in time.

Please don;t blame yourself. Rabbits go downhill really quickly. Eric was tucking into his food fine last night, but this morning it had all changed!!

Binky free little Middy and hugs to you.

Back