• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

Things you need to know before starting a sanctuary?

vicki267

Mama Doe
The loss of Stitch has made me realise that disabled or old bunnies dont need to be PTS or live a life of misery. Although I am still very tender about my loss for a long time I have wanted take in fosters and rehome them.

I believe the better option (for me) will actually be to open a very small sanctuary for between 4-6 rabbits.

I intend to spend the next year composing a research folder and paying off personal debt and I hope to be ready to open the sanctuary in 2010.

I have contacted my vets for details of cost for all the common problems and PM's Hugo's There so will hopefully get some valued advice there :D

It may seem very silly to ask, but I want to ensure I cover all possibilities in my research folder so providing someone else hasn't mentioned the same before you please feel free to give your advice or at least what you feel I need to research.

I will not be a rescue and will not allow people who I do not know into my house so the first thing I would like to know is how does it affect house insurance?

I would also love advice on set ups both outdoor and in and if there are any part time rabbit savvy courses I could take.

Fundraising tips are always good and perhaps at what point would it be suitable to begin funsraising?

What you feel are classed as disabled or elderly buns?

Good websites to either make(DIY Guides)/buy sheds, hutches and runs

Back up funds? How much for say 4 buns?

How you would take in the buns, i.e through RSPCA, other rescue who cant cope, vets recc, RU in need or freeads etc.

I'm also self employed so although I work I also have time throughout the dat to take care of animals. I am never out of my house for more than 5 hours, unless I've got a very rare day out!!

I do go on holiday sometimes but my mum lives a minutes walk from me and she is always happy to help as she doesn't work. However if for some reason she could not do a specific week what is the best cover to hire in or take the buns to for that time?

I'll reiterate what I said above. I'm not rushing into anything, the next year is purely research as I intend to also pay off some debt.

I do however hope to find another bun in need in a few months as downstairs is soo very lonely without Stitch :cry:

Thanks in advance

Vicki

Last edited:
No, old and disabled bunnies can lead a very good life with love and care, I have found that out many times, they can be nursed and have a good quality of life, it really does give them a second chance.

Financially it's very difficult to judge, some bunnies can cost an absolute fortune whilst others are not quite so expensive, but I find it really helps if you can do a lot of the medications yourself, my vet advises me and gives me prescriptions or the medication and I do the rest, that really helps.

When the bunnies come in they need to be assessed and I find the best way to do that is to have them indoors so as I can monitor them closely, sometimes they are so old or poorly that they couldn't go outside anyway so you need plenty of indoor space.

It's very demanding but also very rewarding.

Last edited:
I have tried to put in as much info as possible, but please bear in mind that every sanctuary is different, so this is really just a personal account.

Firstly I would suggest deciding what sort of bunnies you want to take in. This will be based partly on your facilities and your finances, as well as personal interest and ability. For example, dental bunnies do need a lot of vet care so can be very costly, where as a bunny with mobility problems may only need some pain relief so can cost less. However bunnies with mobility problems need certain special requirements when it comes to housing and can also be time consuming if they need bathing or physio.

We decided that our criteria was bunnies over the age of 5years or those with long term health problems ( ie dental problems, recurrent infections, brain damage etc) disabilities ( ie mainly mobility problems, either through spine or limb damage) or behavioural problems that mean they are unlikely to be rehomed into a “normal” family situation.

As for numbers, we never really had a set number we decide on as we knew we would never stick to it. Before we joined the forum we always had around 20 bunnies, but in the last year are numbers have risen over 30. Also our “turn over” of bunnies has become quite high, as the bunnies we are now taking in have more serious or terminal problems. This means that in the past year we have had well over 40 rabbits in total. This does affect the costs a lot, as these bunnies are often undiagnosed and we spend a lot of time and money on tests, especially blood tests and x rays. We try to get our vaccinations done at the same time each year as that way we often get larger discount, but with so many bunnies coming and going we often need to get bunnies vaccinated outside these times. Neutering also takes a large part of our finances.

Most of our bunnies come through rescues so have often been assessed and health checked, but this isn’t always the case. We do have private individuals ask us to take in their bunnies and our vets have also approached us. Sometimes rescues approach us to take bunnies in that they know will not get a home easily or have extra special needs but sometimes we approach rescues if we need a particular bunny to bond with a bunny who has lost it’s partner. We have found it isn’t always easy to find a new suitable partner for a grieving bunny. Sometimes we do pay adoption fees to rescues especially if the bunny has been there sometime and needed lots of medical attention.

As well as the vet costs, there is also the toll it will take on your house. Many special needs bunnies need to be housed indoors. This can completely take over your house, it will need regular cleaning, and as many of ours have incontinence problems we need to replace carpets quite regularly too. We are investing in a carpet washer next year. It also means that visitors have to be understanding and that you also wont be able to go out as much as usual. We very rarely go any where for more than a couple of hours and have now found going on holiday impossible. Not just because of numbers but because there are bunnies that need injections, bathing etc every day. There is also the constant washing of vetbed and towels, so electricity bills go through the roof.

There is also a huge emotional toll, especially as we have bunnies coming to us that only stay with us for sometimes a few weeks or days. Having to continually make decisions on whether it is time to put a bunny to sleep can become completely overwhelming. We have had a particularly bad time this year as we have twice lost more than one bunny in a week. There is also the heartbreak of bunnies that never make it to you, ones that you offer places to but don’t live long enough to make the journey. Sometimes I find this extremely hard to deal with , especially when you know the bunny never got the chance to know what a happy life was.

I know this all sounds very negative, but it really isn’t it is just the way it is for us. Every day there is something to make you smile and laugh out loud. Knowing that we are giving a bunny a chance to be happy and hopefully pain free for the first time is a wonderful thing. Even those that are with for such a short time, it is a privilege to know that we have been able to give the bunny a few happy memories of love to take with them to the bridge. As long as you realise it will completely take over your life you will be ok. It is not a hobby or interest, it is a lifestyle choice.

On the more practical side, we are not open to the public although people can visit their sponsor bunnies so this doesn’t affect our insurance. We do keep all our finances for the sanctuary separate and keep details of incoming and outgoings. I think it is important to have a good website, although I can’t offer advice on where to look for a good deal, as we need to start looking round ourselves. We do avoid putting too much personal details on them so people can’t dump bunnies on our door step.

Fund raising is essential, but you cannot rely on it for income. Unlike rescues bunnies our bunnies are not rehomed so there are no regular donations coming in. People on the forum have been great helping us to raise some funds. It always helps to have original ideas that grab people’s attention. We have a couple planned for next year but they are a closely guarded secret. Car boots are also a good way to get extra pennies and we are hoping to have some stands this year at local events to raise our profile if we can get any volunteers to help us. Offering rabbit sponsorship is a good idea. But I think most importantly once people have supported you is to keep in touch with them as they are more likely to help in the future. Your OH also has to be with you 100% and willing to give up their time and plans as well.

It is impossible to give an idea of cost for your bunnies as it does really depend on their problems. I would get costings for vacs, neuters, blood tests, x rays, dentals, incisor removal, pain relief meds for starters. I use to get my meds on prescription, but since prescription costs were brought in this if doesn’t really save much any more.

The fun bit is thinking of a catchy and original name and catch phrase. I thought of the name Rainbow rabbits and Steve thought of the catch phrase, bringing colour to the lives of elderly and disabled rabbits. I chose Rainbow rabbits as so many of ours are close to passing to rainbow bridge and we like to think that we can help make that transition for them as easy and painless as possible. Also because rainbow bridge is a wonderful place where bunnies feel no pain and have everything they need, I hope that we can help recreate that in some way for the bunnies we have here.

Finally, most of our sheds and playhouses come from local garden centres, they seem to be so much better value. Dog crates and vetbed come from ebay. Cages and some food comes from zooplus and a lot of medical supplies like Panacur, probiotics, syringes etc come from vetuk.

I hope that is of some help, but like I said it is all very personal and others run their sanctuaries completely differently.

The other thing to remember is although you say limit to 4 bunnies..that's what I said when I started!:shock::lol:
Once people know you exist you could find your numbers increasing suddenly..
and re holiday care:
if you have elderly/disabled animals is your mother rabbit savvy enough to cope with them..or if one or more is ill while you are away?
Back up funds
I would say have at least £200 you can use at a moments notice...and a vet who will let you put some on account if needs be.

Also..there could be a problem in how people see you..this is not neccessarily my opinion but has been raised by people before
If you only have 4-5 rabbits..even if they are special needs...when are they just your pets that you are asking people to raise funds to keep..and when are you a sanctuary?:?
This is a discussion which has taken place on here and other websites over the last few years on many occassions...the difference between having pets..and giving yourself a title and asking for funds
I'm not saying that is my opinion..but it is possible that dealing with a small number that you will be keeping..not rehoming to then replace with other in need animals....could be a slight hitch in public's perception:?

And a quarantine area is a must!:D

Also..there could be a problem in how people see you..this is not neccessarily my opinion but has been raised by people before
If you only have 4-5 rabbits..even if they are special needs...when are they just your pets that you are asking people to raise funds to keep..and when are you a sanctuary?:?
This is a discussion which has taken place on here and other websites over the last few years on many occassions...the difference between having pets..and giving yourself a title and asking for funds
I'm not saying that is my opinion..but it is possible that dealing with a small number that you will be keeping..not rehoming to then replace with other in need animals....could be a slight hitch in public's perception:?

I do agree with this. Over the years our vet bills alone have risen from £2/3 000 to around £10,000 a year, so don't feel bad for asking for a little help here and there. Having people help with fundraising has also helped us be able to offer forever homes to more special need bunnies :)

I have pm'd you, I will get some info together for you once we have got over the flu :roll::D

Hi, totally off subject (sorry) but I have just been looking at your website and reading about some of your bunnies ... the stories to their start in life, are so sad :(

I live in Beds too and if I can help in any way (ie depending on where you are maybe cleaning hutches or something??) then please let me know :) Once my son is back to school I have some time on my hands.

Hi, thanks for the offer, we could always do with the occassional pair of extra hands :D We are between Milton keynes and Dunstable :D

We are not an official sanctuary and take in any species of animal.
Like said before it is better to have criteria for which animals you take in, we take in ones whose next option is PTS, unfortunately this means they have health problems or behavioural problems which take a lot of time and understanding.
As Hugo's there has said, the emotional toll is huge, and you don't have the luxury of dwelling on things as you have to get up the next day and look after the others. We don't have holidays now and every spare penny is taken by the animals.
It is good if you can see imediately if an animal is ill, because treatment sooner rather than later is best, and to be able to administer treaments is a lifesaver in many cases and reduces the vet bills.
A thing to bear in mind is how quickly the financial climate can change. We were coping well, up until 6 months ago, things are now quite tight because our vet bills have increased and our feed bils have doubled.

Last edited:
aww vicki this is a fab idea!!

i know it will be 2010 but i will still be in bournemouth then so when your open i will help do fundraising and stuff at boot fairs etc for your new bunnies!

i dont mind helping however i can!

Wow that's loads of info!

With regards to holidays, that is the one thing my OH would not give up as he works only for going snowboarding once a year. We dont go out anymore and to be frank he wouldn't feel like he had a life if that stopped :roll: My mum used to be a nurse and does a great job looking after my animals whilst I'm away. She loves taking care of people and animals and although doesn't know as much as I do about bunnies she knows the importance of getting them to the nearest vet if for some reason she felt they were not themselves.

There are many reasons I would have a limit of between 4-6 rabbits. The first is my time. I cannot give up my job. I still have many spare hours each day, especially if I keep to schedule but know how long it takes to look after my "normal" buns and give them cuddles. Doing sanctuary work and my job is possible but within reason. My mum always offers to come over and clean the buns out if I'm busy or feeling ill etc, although I never take her up on that offer, yet! :lol:

Another thing is space, our house and garden isn't massive although we do have space for a shed and we could convert part of our garage. We have no spare room upstairs. The lounge will one day accomodate my next rescue. That just leaves the kitchen which I intend to use as quarantine and rehab area and perhaps if one desparately needs to be inside keep them there. My main concern would be keeping so many rabbits in close proximity to each other, especially if they didn't like each other or get stressed easily, I just dont see how this is fair?

Personally people are allowed their own opinions on whether they see me as a sanctuary or not. I would like to feel I am for the following reasons:

1) I would have 3 or 4 "pets" which would be funded 100% from my own wallet. Even if I had to put £1000's on my credit card I would never use sanctuary funds.

2) The sanctuary buns I take on are not likely to be with me for long. I know that if taking them on as "pets" I would not be able to afford to look after as many each year as if I ran a sanctuary and done a little fundraising. Unfortunately this reason is why most people don't adopt these poor buns in the first place. Although I wouldn't rely on fundraising, if at any point I couldn't afford to run the sanctuary I would have to concentrate on the buns left and gradually come to a close. Before I start I will aim to have all the accom sorted, save £1000 and clear my credit cards in case of emergency.

3) I will never beg for money, if people donate then great. I was thinking more along the lines of selling cakes at school fares, sponsorship packages and asking local schools to save old towels and papers etc.

4) Obviously I dont need to open a sanctuary. I could rescue a new rabbit each time I feel I am financially able to. However as mentioned above if I can help a "special needs" bun I would rather do that :D

5) In my position I would rather class myself as a sanctuary for 4-6 rabbits as well as having 2-4 as "pets". My home, work and lifestyle situation does not housing many more than that. However for anyone who would ever question my "sanctuary" I would ask them "what makes these 6 bunnies any less deserving than those with Liz?" I feel having smaller numbers allows me personally to care for each one better, not getting stressed about taking on too many as I have too much to do.

6) Obviously I would love a bigger santuary one day but it would be very niave of me to start off big and not be able to cope. Maybe when we've moved to a bigger house :lol: However then you have to ask yourself at what number would you qualify to become a sanctuary, if not 6 then 10? 15? 50?

The electricity is a good point, although I imagine yours to be sky high with all those little bums :lol:

Upstairs is carpet and downstairs is laminate, which is good for cleaning but not always good for bunnies. Kira is brill and Stitch was good on the laminate but Arnie isn't so keen. If for some reason I took on a bun who hated it, I think I'd lay down some carpet tiles :roll:

Couldn't care less what friends say, most of them dont bother anymore anyway. Still getting drunk and sleeping around if they haven't already got married and had kids :roll:

I dont intend the emotional strain to be easy. Losing Stitch was very difficult and I doubt it gets any easier, however I know his last 2 months were his happiest :D

Hopefully vets get back to me next week with prices.

My O/H has never been an animal lover, although he appreciates what I want to do and why I love animals so much. He adored Stitch and always looks after them if I have a late client of am on a training course for the day. It isn't ideal but I'm certainly not leaving him :lol: and I'm not put off getting more animals because of it. As I said before, my mum would always help, giving syringe feeds, bum baths etc and leaving O/H to get the food ready for the "normal" buns. She wants to work but like myself doesn't like working for other people :lol: She would love to volunteer an hour or two a day and do vet trips with/for me.

Website isn't a problem as I can make them, although finding a name is good :roll:

Does anyone make their own hutches? Know of any good online guides?

Big long posts on here :lol:

aww vicki this is a fab idea!!

i know it will be 2010 but i will still be in bournemouth then so when your open i will help do fundraising and stuff at boot fairs etc for your new bunnies!

i dont mind helping however i can!

Aww thanks, that's lovely :D

I wouldn't consider doing anything until all the research is done and had time to think more but providing I can pay off some debt next year then I dont see why I couldn't start looking to set up hutches etc towards the end of next year.

Will always need someone to help me design the bunny palaces and look for toys :lol:

Vicki it sounds as if you have thought it through very carefully and I wish you all the best with it. I think if you are starting with small numbers then keeping them seperate to your "pet" bunnies as it were is a good idea. Obviously each individual bunny at your sanctuary regardless of numbers is as deserving as any bunny that lives with us :D I think Jill and I were just pointing out what other peoples perceptions of the situation may be when it comes to fundraising.

If I can be of any more help on specifics you know where I am :D:wave:

Yer, I understand what you mean - Just saying that if anyone happens to read this and comment from their own opinion then I dont really care lol, same goes away from the forum.

When I do the fundraising, for example I'll sell cakes. Now the people who pay money for these cakes are getting a really yummy treat so are not giving money away. Infact I know many people who sell things at school fares and keep the cash for themselves.

People are allowed to think what they want, I just hope they remember that when selling stuff and putting the profits on themselves :roll::lol:

At the end of the day I'll try and do it all from my own pocket, but a little help will go a long way and means I can take on one or two more than I could without the help :D

Sure I'll PM you again soon :lol:

No problems :D

When you consider that we have had around £350 this year in donations and our out goings are over £10,000 it isn't really a large part of it at the end of the day

yep your answer prooves you have thought through this for a long time:D

and I only made the point re numbers as it has been raised before..as already said here and on other rescue forums ..but my point about accepting your numbers will grow is my own opinion..as I told my hubby I would stick to 4...then my 2nd collection was a family of 8:lol:

Haha, yer I can see that a family might perhaps be a problem :roll:

I am a softie so if I end up with spare hutches after a death and someone needs me to temp foster I prob will end up doing that :roll:

I've just had some good news back from my vets :D

They said that they think it's a brill idea and they will support me with any thing I need. He said it will take a while to get all the info I requested together :oops: But he will get back to me as soon as he can :lol:

With regards to housing, I measured the garage and I feel thats the best place. However I was thinking for extra warmth housing the animals in a playhouse in the garage? The garage has a window and electricity and weather permitting they'd all come out in a run each day (might even attach one to garage using a tunnel). How does that sound?

Vicki

Space wise it sounds great, but it really does depend on what sort of special needs the bunnies have. Some of mine really do need central heating and nice warm carpet on the floor. I also like them in the house so that I can check on them all the time as there health can deteriorate quickly. Also some of the ones with mobility problems can fall and not always get up straight away so need constant watching. Rabbits that need bathing frequently also live in the lounge so that they are kept especially warm.

I'm sure it would be a great set up for most bunnies :D

ETA if you are ever travelling this way you are more than welcome to drop in to meet the bunnies and see their accomodation.

I wouldn't advise using something enclosed like a playhouse in a garage. You need as much ventilation as possible...it tends to be lack of ventilation which causes respiratory problems more than the cold. You need a flow of air underneath, behind and above hutches (at least 20cm is recommended, but most people don't have the space for this).

I've recently bought some 6ft x 2ft indoor hutches for my garage from Happy Hutch. They are really good. I've added wheels to the bottom so that they can easily be moved for cleaning underneath.

This is a link to the hutches on the Happy Hutch website: http://www.happyhutch.com/ProductDetails.aspx?productID=136&categoryID=38

Back