• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

house for a house rabbit

maxi

Young Bun
Hi, I am thinking about buying a rabbit, but i want one to live in the house, i have read all the books and talked to the staff at the pets shops they say that house rabbits smell. my friend has one and says her does not smell please can any one help me as i would love to have one

House rabbits do not smell, as long as they are cleaned out regularly, and the type of litter used helps as well. I don't have house rabbits, but from people on here, they sound great.

You can get a rabbit from a rescue too.

I have several rabbits in the house and none smell... they would only smell if not cleaned reguarly, as would any animal.

How about adopting a rabbit from a rescue? Over 30,000 rabbits end up in rescues in the UK every year.

Just replied on your other thread too :wave:

My 2 don;yt smell, just the wee can be a bit whiffy when you clean teh litter tray - I use carefresh litter and this absorbs really well and neutralises the odours! You do need to clean the tray and stuff regualrly though!

My sister came round yesterday and commented on how lovely the smell of their fresh hay was!

I have four inside full time and two outside and not one of them smell. It deoends how well you clean them out etc.

Rabbit's urine and poops can smell if there is something wrong, otherwise, rabbits are one of the cleanest and least smelly animals I know.

Rabbits will also have a strong odour if they are not neutered as they will spray to mark territory, this is an unmistakable hormonal smell. So, another excellent reason for having all bunnies neutered.

I am echoing one of the above posters and ask if you would consider adopting rabbits from a rescue rather than 'buying' some. If you decide to buy some it will perpetuate the sale of rabbits bred by people wishing to make a quick buck with no thought of how the animal will be homed.

If you adopt from a rescue the bunnies will almost certainly by neutered and vaccinated already, and it will help with the overwhelming numbers of unwanted rabbits in rescues today.:D

Staff in pet shops may well not have a clue about house rabbits (hence them giving you incorrect info about them smelling) as it's unlikely that 'joe public' would normally buy rabbits for a house set up - it's more likely that pet shop buns end up in undersized accommodation at the end of the garden because the shop assistants have poor knowledge about rabbit care and well being.

Helen:D

Rabbits themselves DO NOT smell unless they are ill.

What smells is their litter trays and often their hutches as urine sinks into it.

Rabbits are one of the cleanest pets you can have, much cleaner than dogs and my Arnie smells lovely :love:

If the rabbit smells it is most likely the owners fault for not cleaning litter trays out enough.

Sometimes they do smelly farts though, my Stitch was great at that when I had him and Kira loves parping out loud :lol:

No smell from mine!

I currently have 9 inside :shock::roll:

A few fosters in there.

I use Vetbed and Megazorb for litter trays and keep everything tidy! :D

Back