• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

Gutted

i think my bunny shed is on its last legs :( i only made it this year but i had to use an existing shed. i did everything i could to weather proof, insulate etc but theres mold growing on every wall inside.
i simply cant afford to buy and build a whold new shed as this one cost me so much.
i think im just gonna put an end on the run (its attached to the shed at the moment) and build a deluxe triple layer very long hutch inside the run for them (the run is 10ft x 6ft so im hoping that still leaves them with plenty of space, just got to take out the divider inside the run)

this is my setup here.... http://www.slowlygoingcrackers.com/bunnies.html

Have you tried treating it inside with some pet safe waterproof stain ? Perhaps cheap plywood cladding inside may help too :)

If it's still standing you should be able to service it. 2ft x 4ft pieces of plywood only cost around £7.50 from wickes so you should be able to cut this to size and then nail or screw it onto the inside. If it is letting in water from outside then you can buy roofing felt from B&Q or wickes and put some new felt over the top. Or just repaint the whole thing with garden shades cuprinol

Mines leaking down one whole side its been painted every year so i dont understand why?

Sorry to state the obvious but there must be a hole somewhere. Does the roof overlap the walls by several inches? You could do some tests with a watering can to see where the water flows when you poor it on the top or if the side is exposed it could be coming through the wood. If you put some new felt up and down the sides of the shed this might help.

Mines leaking down one whole side its been painted every year so i dont understand why?

I found a leak in one of my playhouses, a tiny hole in the tongue and groove cladding :shock: I got silicone sealant and shoved it in :lol: Sealed and waterproofed !

Have you checked that the roofing felt is intact. Silicone sealent on joins can also help to keep water out. Using a few coats of old oil to paint on to the wood and allow it to penetrate it all helps keep water out, dont forget that this will also keep any dampness inside. It is essential that there is adequate ventilation inside to keep it dry.

Is the shed laying direct on the ground or is it resting on wood is important as the water woaks into if it is wet weather and it is standing directly on concrete or even on earth.

You could put a liner on it which would be cheap to do and make it last longer but will not help the outer structure in its lastability.

Sorry to state the obvious but there must be a hole somewhere. Does the roof overlap the walls by several inches? You could do some tests with a watering can to see where the water flows when you poor it on the top or if the side is exposed it could be coming through the wood. If you put some new felt up and down the sides of the shed this might help.

Yes the roof overhangs the side,so its leaking through the wall somehow,must be running down

Its resting on wood,i think its comming through the gaps in the tonge and groove its really quite damp inside there now,im waiting for it to dry out before re painting and sealing

thanks everyone

i completely re-felted it this summer with decent garage felt, repainted it with wilkinsons wood waterproof stuff (cant remember the proper name of it but it was recommended on here due to being pet friendly), the inside has been treated and has plywood inside. you can see what it is like in the photos on the link in my first post, just scroll down the page a little.

ive done all i can think to sort it but there is still mold growing all over the plywood inside the shed and the wood is still soaking in water from the floor upwards. It is simply sat on the concrete slabs, that was prob my mistake :(
im not going to spend any more money on it though... it prob cost me £100's already :( and i only did it this summer so not much use out of it.

im going to research more into building an outside mansion hutch for their run, and more importantly i am going to take time building it so i get it right this time!!

Well, if you think you might be pushed for space if you decide to re-do your set-up, you can just send Diego to ME!!!!! :p ;) :lol:

Have you got enough ventilation? Mine is also damp inside, but I think it's due to the bunny's breath as well as damp in the air rather than leaks from outside. I want to have the door open more, but am worried about letting rats in.

Bobbin

thanks everyone

i completely re-felted it this summer with decent garage felt, repainted it with wilkinsons wood waterproof stuff (cant remember the proper name of it but it was recommended on here due to being pet friendly), the inside has been treated and has plywood inside. you can see what it is like in the photos on the link in my first post, just scroll down the page a little.

ive done all i can think to sort it but there is still mold growing all over the plywood inside the shed and the wood is still soaking in water from the floor upwards. It is simply sat on the concrete slabs, that was prob my mistake :(
im not going to spend any more money on it though... it prob cost me £100's already :( and i only did it this summer so not much use out of it.

im going to research more into building an outside mansion hutch for their run, and more importantly i am going to take time building it so i get it right this time!!

That wilikinsons paint is rubbish:( hence why my shed is leaking,Its also near enough all come off my runs too

Have you got enough ventilation? Mine is also damp inside, but I think it's due to the bunny's breath as well as damp in the air rather than leaks from outside. I want to have the door open more, but am worried about letting rats in.

Bobbin

Mine is definatly leaking as its much worse in bad weather

Back