• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.
  • Please Note - Medical Advice

Please keep in mind that posts on this forum are from members of the public sharing personal opinions. It is not a replacement for qualified medical advice from a veterinarian. Many illnesses share similar symptoms but require different treatments. A medical exam is necessary for an accurate diagnosis, without which appropriate treatment cannot be given.

You should always consult your vet before following any suggestions for medication or treatment you have read about. The wrong treatment could make your rabbit worse or mean your vet is unable to give the correct treatment because of drug interactions. Even non prescription drugs can do harm if given inappropriately.

We are very grateful to members who take time to answer other members questions, but please do be clear in your replies that you are sharing personal experience and not giving instructions on what must be done.

Urgent Medical Advice: If you need, or think you might need, urgent medical advice you should contact a vet. If it is out of working hours phone your vet's normal number and there should be an answer phone message with instructions on what to do.

ear infections

phil1155

New Kit
Hi,

Our British giant rabbit keeps on getting ear infections, we have taken her to the vets several times and been given Surolan to deal with the problem which does make the infection go away but as soon as we stop giving her the drops she gets the infection back within weeks, we have asked the vet what we are doing wrong and all they seem to come out with is keep her ears clean, we do keep her ears as clean as possible.
Can anyone out there give us some advice please.
Thanks.
Neil.

Has she had any systemic antibiotics?
Has a swab been taken to try to identify the exact bacteria involved?
If the infection is deep within the ear canal then the Surolan may not be getting to all of it hence systemic antibiotics may also be required.
What symptoms is she displaying?

Has she had any systemic antibiotics?
Has a swab been taken to try to identify the exact bacteria involved?
If the infection is deep within the ear canal then the Surolan may not be getting to all of it hence systemic antibiotics may also be required.
What symptoms is she displaying?

Hi,
She has not had any antibiotics and no swab taken, they just gave us ear drops. it does go right down into the canal but apart from trying to clean her ears a lot she is not realy showing any sighnes of disscomfort, she eats realy well and seems happy as normal when we bring her into the house.
thanks for taking the time to respond.
Neil.

If the problem keeps recurring I would discuss having a swab taken with your Vet.
If it is just excess wax rather than pus (infection) that is being produced then putting treatments into the ear can actually exacerbate the problem and cause yet more wax production.

But without seeing the ear or the discharge I cant say for certain what may be helpful to suggest to your Vet. There are lots of other treatments apart from Surolan so I'd advise consulting the Vet again if the problem flares up.

:)

If the problem keeps recurring I would discuss having a swab taken with your Vet.
If it is just excess wax rather than pus (infection) that is being produced then putting treatments into the ear can actually exacerbate the problem and cause yet more wax production.

But without seeing the ear or the discharge I cant say for certain what may be helpful to suggest to your Vet. There are lots of other treatments apart from Surolan so I'd advise consulting the Vet again if the problem flares up.

:)

Ok, Thanks for your help.
Neil.

Ear treatment

Hi there

I took Stripe to the vets today for an ear infection. I have been using surolan for weeks for ringworm and the vet has given me some canaural for the ear infection. The canaural has different active ingredients so I guess works on different bacteria.

Don't know if this is of any help. - She's only had one dose so too early to say whether it's any good.

Back