• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

Daisy is making a nest ...

bridget

Alpha Buck
We got Daisy from a rescue centre 27 days ago. This morning she has been making a nest - could this be a phantom pregnancy although she hasn't been spayed. She was bonded with Kirk three weeks ago - he was neutered early 2008.

Could she have been pregnant when we bought her? We don't know what to do if she does give birth - the hutches are in the shed and they have a snugglesafe but that's all. It still does get quite cold in there. :|

If this is a "real" nest how long would it be before she gave birth.? Any tips would be very much appreciated.

Thank you xx

Last edited:
Which rescue centre? Unless she was bred there it's unlikely she is pregnant as rabbits only carry for about 30days. If she is then babies are imminent and apart from upping her food and making sure she has plenty of nesting material there's not a lot you can do except wait.

In that case I expect she is having a phantom - don't take any of her nesting material out otherwise she will re pull and get her neutered when you can.

The longest phantom mine have had (2 of them, both when they arrived) has been Hunny, she nested for 1wk - 10 days, then just abandoned it. As hard as it is to leave the nest, you mustn't take it out until she's done though, as she will just rebuild. Just try to clean around it if you can until you are sure she has finished with it. ;)

The longest phantom mine have had (2 of them, both when they arrived) has been Hunny, she nested for 1wk - 10 days, then just abandoned it. As hard as it is to leave the nest, you mustn't take it out until she's done though, as she will just rebuild. Just try to clean around it if you can until you are sure she has finished with it. ;)

Thank you. We have 2 hutches and she is building in the side to the one she doesn't really spend much time in so is clean anyway but I will leave it until she has finished. I sure hope it is a phantom and not a gang of little babies one morning... yikes!

i would contact the rescue you got her from to check if there is any chance she could be pregnant ... you could also ask if she has had phantom pregnancies before and if so how long they have lasted ..

i would strongly recomend getting her spayed as i almost lost my old girl to uterine cancer in the summer .

S'okay, no probs. ;)

Definitely agree with bunnymadhouse, it'd do no harm to give the rescue a ring. And if she does turn out to be pregnant, they should help out with further advice etc.

Also get her neutered asap, it makes such a big difference to their temperament, and is safer too with health risks etc. ;)

Lola has been speyed about 2 weeks ago and is nesting, one side of her cga eis a huge nest of hay, paper and stuff she has gathered!

Hope all goes well x x x

I got Autumn as a friend for Charlie. She was unspayed at the time, and she started having a phantom. it was put down the the move and being with a male had triggered her into overload resulting in a phantom. Best way to reduce phantoms is to neuter, it also means she will live longer as there is a reduced rise of cancer.

Honey had a phantom pregnancy this year although she hadn't been near an intact male. She pulled her fur out and nested and next day she was over it:roll:
I don't believe that Kirkby spey their females, so she could be having a phantom pregnancy, I don't think that the rescue would let her get intentionally pregnant, however, I know they have approx 100 rabbits in at the moment.:cry:

We got Daisy from a rescue centre 27 days ago. This morning she has been making a nest - could this be a phantom pregnancy although she hasn't been spayed. She was bonded with Kirk three weeks ago - he was neutered early 2008.

Could she have been pregnant when we bought her? We don't know what to do if she does give birth - the hutches are in the shed and they have a snugglesafe but that's all. It still does get quite cold in there. :|

If this is a "real" nest how long would it be before she gave birth.? Any tips would be very much appreciated.

Thank you xx

Hi, my girl has made two nests and the babies have been born within hours of her doing this so if she is pregnant then it will be soon that the babies are here. Like the others said there isn't much you can do except provide plenty of nesting materials (straw, hay etc) and lots of food and water (i have never seen my girl drink so much the next day after the babies are here).

My hutches are in the shed, nothing extra in there (ie heaters, snugglesafe etc) and the babies have all been fine.

I personally would ring the shelter where you got her from and just find out if there is any chance that she could be pregnant or if she has had this before.

Back