• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

Warning! Zooplus metal/steel run

HJH

Young Bun
Just to warn anyone with one of these runs. On Xmas Eve both Honey and Elvis were in the run on our patio, when a cat jumped over the fence and startled the life out of them. They went bananas in the run, then charged the end cage door with the sliding latch locked in position with ties to secure it (as it isn't very secure on its own). I also had a garden patio chair wedged against it. They hit the door with such force that it flung open, the chair went flying across the garden and they were bolting around the garden scared out of their wits. The cat darted across the garden and over the fence.

My heart was pounding as I witnessed this from the kitchen window. They were both thumping and so frightened.

If I hadn't been there they would have got out and god knows what might have got them.

The strange thing was that the ties I used to secure the gate were still in the locked position, so the force of their heads must have bent the cage walls outwards enough for the gate to fling open, this is really worrying as you'd think that these were quite strong apart from the sliding latch.

I was really worried about their heads and spines, but they seem ok, thankfully.

So be aware, I won't be going out and leaving them in there on their own, back into the playhouse.

They seem ok, still eating!!

Thanks for the info, will invest in some of those. I just hope they don't try to be invincible once the locks are on otherwise could have a few rebound problems.

They have a little house in the run which I foolishly thought they would bolt into if frightened, but how I was so naive!! They just want to bolt out of there, surprising how strong and resilient they are. I will not underestimate them again. Honey also had an escape episode a while back in our old wooden run, she could push the lid upwards and charge out the top, amazing creatures, its only when you actually watch them do these things you realise what they're capable of!!!

WOW! Strong bunnies! :shock:

My littlest bun, Mustard has the strength to pick up a 4ft long wooden windowbox that I turned into a tunnel in their run. First time I heard it I thought someone was in the run, but it's just a little furball with a hard head. :roll:

Hope your bunnies are ok now. My outdoor buns are completely unfazed by cats, as our kitten likes to climb up the walls of the run and sit on the roof. :lol:

oh once there scared they bolt like theres no tomorrow, if they feel threatened or a bit scared 9/10 they will go into a hidey hole, a box, or a wooden house etc, but if they are petrified its another thing altogether.

we had a boardere here once who bolted so hard into that end of the run we thought she wass really hurt, and that was because of a car screechinground the back.

honey always tried to oen the small 'doors' on the side when she was here, but they had small clips so shecouldnt haha! didnt stop her trying though!

Back