• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

What a Christmas! - update- he's still not right

wiggie

Alpha Buck
:(Christmas morning i went to feed the animals and honey was nowhere to be seen. He would usually be in his run bouncing around waiting for breakfast and a fuss. well he was in his hutch in a corner. He came out to see me but wasn't interested in his veg. I just thought OH NO! and then not today! So we spent christmas morning at the vets. he did come home with us being force fed having had pain killers, fluids and gut stimulants. He perked up during the day, ate hay and some pellets and drank some water, but this morning it was the same story so back to the vets. Same thing again, perked up again today. Back to the vets tonight for more gut stimulant and he's finally starting to behave like normal. . .trashing his hutch etc :roll::lol:. It will be back to the vets again tomorrow morning and we will go from there. I think we are winning but "What a christmas!".

My little man has never had anything wrong with him until now, eats well etc. and having 2 of them with stasis in the last few weeks i'm wondering what I'm doing wrong:roll:. Nothing has changed so I guess just bad luck but it does make you wonder. They are both fantastic eaters!

The vets were fab meeting us straight away and just charging normal out of hours charges which for christmas day I think is very reasonable.

I can see how it would be so easy if you didn't know to wait and see and find a very poorly rabbit the next day or worse:cry:. So glad we didn't go away this christmas and wreck our rabbit sitters day instead!

Sorry to vent! Apart form that x-mas was fine . . .could have been so much worse! and if I hadn't found this site when I did probably would have been.:love::love::love:

Last edited:
Absolutely and he and Audrey's bond seems stronger than ever. Makes you appreciate what you've got.:D

So pleased that he is feeling better :)

If you have had a few Buns with tummy problems I'd look at their feed. At the moment some hay is less than good quality. A tiny bit of mould from damp hay can cause lots of problems.

So pleased that he is feeling better :)

If you have had a few Buns with tummy problems I'd look at their feed. At the moment some hay is less than good quality. A tiny bit of mould from damp hay can cause lots of problems.

Thanks Jane, I was wondering if there was a common reason as they are both such good eaters. The only thing is we changed our hay to a baled hay form a different source after Audreys stasis but before Honey's. They are on the same food and veg.

Also Honey is still not right so I have a horrible feeling something else is going on. He needed more fluids, pain killers and gut stimulants this morning at the vets and his poos are still smaller than normal but they are bigger than yesterday. I am still syringe feeding him 4x daily as although he is nibbling hay he isn't eating more than a few mouthfulls of pellets or veg and he still doesn't look himself although brighter than yesterday. The vet wants to keep him going till monday and x-ray if no better. His teeth look ok apparently but there might be something they cant see. It's day 3 today in my limited experience seems a long time for stasis. Fingers crossed he improves tomorrow.
x

I have had a similar Christmas :( Asta wouldn't eat on Christmas day and has got no better despite pain killers and gut stimulants from the vet. She has now stopped taking Recovery and Fibreplex from me, so I've had to leave her at the vets to be put on a drip and fed by the nurses (who'll hopefully have more luck with the syringe feeding than me :(

Thanks for your comment about the hay, Jack's Jane. I changed their hay last Saturday and i think it had been stored in an open-sided barn. Maybe it was damp. I've now changed them back to hay they've had before and that i know is dry, but I am so worried about Asta at the vets all on her own :( They said not to leave Clover with her as he'd chew her drip line, and to be honest, she's always been fine without him - it is Clover that misses Asta. He looks all lonely in there on his own :cry:

Seem to have spent Christmas covered in Recovery and crying :cry:

I hope Honey continues to improve (and that my Asta follows his example ....)

So sorry to hear about Asta:cry:. I really hope she improves at the vets overnight. It's such a shame they had to be separated, especially for clover by the sounds of it but she's in the best place. I really worried about putting them back together when Audrey had to go in on a drip last time but it was like they'd never been apart!
Thanks for your wishes about Honey, he has just had a normal amount of pellets for the first time since Wednesday so I hope we are winning.
Sending vibes!
x

Oh no, sending massive vibes to Honey and Asta. I hope they both start to feel better soon.

I know what it is like to have to spend Christmas at the vets (have had to do it the last 2 Christmas days), thankfully all was OK this year but my heart was in my mouth.

Thinking of you both.

Thanks wiggie and bunny babe. Asta came home yesterday afternoon, but she's only eaten a few dandilion leaves a a couple of sprigs of parsley :( She's more tolerent of the fibreplex syringe though, so I'm having more luck with that.

The vet said to continue trying to tempt her with her favorite foods and take her back for a check tomorrow. Hopefully by then she'll have followed Honey's example again and started eating pellets.

Thanks for your thoughts guys,

Liz

Aww, glad she is home. Try to tempt her with a variety of herbs - I found Thyme from Sainsbury worked with Katy last year. It is strong smelling but it seemed to be a bit of a turning point with her. I also find kale or spinach, grated carrot can help. Just try anything.

Also some water which is in a bowl and is luke warm (add a dash of boiling from kettle) encourages my two.

Sending her some eating vibes. Hope she feels better soon.

Thanks for your suggestions bunny babe - i've sent my boyfriend to the shops to find more herbs! Will try grated carrot too as she sniffs at chunks of carrots but then doesn't bother. Maybe they're too much effort in big chunks and grated would be more appealing.

Thanks again,

Liz

Back