• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.
  • Please Note - Medical Advice

Please keep in mind that posts on this forum are from members of the public sharing personal opinions. It is not a replacement for qualified medical advice from a veterinarian. Many illnesses share similar symptoms but require different treatments. A medical exam is necessary for an accurate diagnosis, without which appropriate treatment cannot be given.

You should always consult your vet before following any suggestions for medication or treatment you have read about. The wrong treatment could make your rabbit worse or mean your vet is unable to give the correct treatment because of drug interactions. Even non prescription drugs can do harm if given inappropriately.

We are very grateful to members who take time to answer other members questions, but please do be clear in your replies that you are sharing personal experience and not giving instructions on what must be done.

Urgent Medical Advice: If you need, or think you might need, urgent medical advice you should contact a vet. If it is out of working hours phone your vet's normal number and there should be an answer phone message with instructions on what to do.

Boney,unusual breathing HELP D:!!

My rabbit is 4 years old now and as winter has crept in she has become alot skinnier and her breathing has become heavier. Is this to do with the cold, old age or is there a serious health problem?
please help i am rather concerned :(

Thank you :) i'll get her there as soon as possible. I was also wondering if rabbits are able to get colds because its been rather cold latley and my rabbit sleeps in the garage. We have decided to move her into the house to see if her health improves.

My Lexie suffers from an acute and ongoing respiratory infection which is worsened by the cold and causes her to loose weight as her body struggles to fight it.

She is now on her third type of antibiotic and this one is finally starting to work.

Please get your rabbit to a vet as soon as possible....if it is a respiratory infection it will not improve of it's own accord.

My rabbit is 4 years old now and as winter has crept in she has become alot skinnier and her breathing has become heavier. Is this to do with the cold, old age or is there a serious health problem?
please help i am rather concerned :(

4 yr. old is mid age at the most, although some bun lives to 16 to 18 yr. old. So it can't be age.

If this bun is a outdoor bun, I would put her inside immediately and keep her warm

Thanks i brought her in as soon as i noticed a change and she seems to be getting better but as soon as our local vets opens from the x-mas hols were taking her straight there incase its serious.
Thanks for all your reply's btw , it helps me get a better understanding and also eases off some of the worry. :) :D

Rosemary has been to the vets and it is indeed a respiritory infection. she had an antibiotics injection and we've been given some herbal medicen and antibiotics to give to her twice a day. The vat said some rabbits dont survive having this infection so fingers crossed on her recovery. Thanks for all your help guys :) :D

Bad news

Rosemary was on the way to getting better but suddenly went down hill and unfortunatley she was put to sleep on jan 7th around 6pm. She had been helped all she can but there was something that could not be treated. I'll miss my loving playful friend but she will never be forgotten. She is the one and only rabbit i will ever get. No other rabbit can replace her.
Thanks for all your advice even if the outcome was upsetting.
Rip Rosemary xxx

Rosemary was on the way to getting better but suddenly went down hill and unfortunatley she was put to sleep on jan 7th around 6pm. She had been helped all she can but there was something that could not be treated. I'll miss my loving playful friend but she will never be forgotten. She is the one and only rabbit i will ever get. No other rabbit can replace her.
Thanks for all your advice even if the outcome was upsetting.
Rip Rosemary xxx

Im so sorry :( You did all you could for your bunny.

Sleep tight Rosemary :cry: xXx

Back