• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.
  • Please Note - Medical Advice

Please keep in mind that posts on this forum are from members of the public sharing personal opinions. It is not a replacement for qualified medical advice from a veterinarian. Many illnesses share similar symptoms but require different treatments. A medical exam is necessary for an accurate diagnosis, without which appropriate treatment cannot be given.

You should always consult your vet before following any suggestions for medication or treatment you have read about. The wrong treatment could make your rabbit worse or mean your vet is unable to give the correct treatment because of drug interactions. Even non prescription drugs can do harm if given inappropriately.

We are very grateful to members who take time to answer other members questions, but please do be clear in your replies that you are sharing personal experience and not giving instructions on what must be done.

Urgent Medical Advice: If you need, or think you might need, urgent medical advice you should contact a vet. If it is out of working hours phone your vet's normal number and there should be an answer phone message with instructions on what to do.

Prolapsed rectums

doorkeeper

Mama Doe
I had a litter of babies come in a month ago in which one had a prolapsed rectum. With pain relief and bathing in salt water I was able to get it back in and she was alright for a few weeks although in the meantime it happened to another of the litter. The vet put hers back in and suggested a dose of steroids if it happened again. The second one has not had a repeat, but the original one has. She has been on a high dose of steroids for a week now, every time I reduce them out it comes. She has had an op to place purse string stitches in which helped for a few days but once the steroid was reduced it came out again anyway and now the stitches have come out, yesterday of course:roll: I got it back in yet again and have had to increase the steroids, but that is not ideal. She and the rest of the litter (6 in all) are on a course of Septrin in case it is coccidioisis and panacur in case of pinworm. The whole litter were very stunted, the rest now are growing noticably every day, leaving the little doe with the prolapse behind, although she is eating well and has normal lovely poo. She weighs less than 500g, the others just over. They gobble A&P and readigrass and hay and drink huge quantities.
The only ref I could find to prolapsed rectums in my rabbit books was in reference to coccidiosis, hence the Septrin. The vet said pinworms could cause it, hence the panacur.
It looks to me as if the whole litter have a slightly misshaped anus that lets this happen more easily although I think each prolapse is caused by swelling as the steroid has caused it to go back in on its own a couple of times. I suspect that infection has set in in the origional little doe (Tara) which is why it keeps repeating. It had been out for a few days before she was brought to me and was hugely swollen at that time. She initially had a short course of baytril, cautiously and not a long one as it is not good for imature animals.
She is lively and only looks in pain while it is out. As soon as I get it back in she is lively and happy again and eats well. While she remains so I don't want to give up. Has anyone else found a reference to this happening?

I found the thread about Millie:(

Poor Tara :cry:

Not had a Bun effected with the condition myself, thank goodness. I do hope all the Babies will be OK in the longterm.

Just had a browse over the internet to see if there was anything helpful there but found very little I'm afraid Louise. The only thing I did find that was vaguely useful suggested it was a hereditary problem but that seems fairly obvious already seeing as they are all slightly mis-shaped and two have suffered the prolapse. I do hope Tara pulls through ok. x

Sorry Louise I dont have any experience on prolapses at all. Sending get well vibes to Tara :)

Little Tara is hanging in there, she is lively and happy and eating well and pooing normally - although her poo did get soft for a few days and worry me, this at least seems to be sorted.

But her bum is sometimes in sometimes out. I have become expert at popping it back in and at least it doesn't seem to hurt her as much as at first. I thought I was getting further with baytril but then out it came again:? Poor little scrap:cry: she isn't growing as well as her sisters and brothers either....

it may be going to be a chronic condition:(

Back