• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

Mysterious scabs

Indiechic

Wise Old Thumper
Bailey has scabs on his leg, i wonder if hes caught it on the side of the cage as he dives around when alyssa chases him...

also, there is alt of chasing too.
any ideas?
zz

Whats the skin like around the scabs/on his legs? Where on his legs? Is he scratching them? Is the fur wet/dry? Is the skin sore?

Hugs for Bailey :)

fur is dry, no hes not scratching em, skin around is fine. they could be old...
hmmm..

i wonder if lys nips him...

fur is dry, no hes not scratching em, skin around is fine. they could be old...
hmmm..

i wonder if lys nips him...

Humm, if skin is okay, it may be nothing.

They could be old, are they hanging off fur? Or attached fully to skin?

Poor Bailey!

a mix of both...

they are an odd couple... bailey has just been groomed by Alyssa... yet 5 minutes ago they were chasing like crazy...
what should I do?
xxx

Are they in a crate...:)

They may need to have a bit more space so that they can get away from one another. If I have bunnies recently bonded that chase a lot, I always increase their space so that they don't feel cornered into having to bite each other. One of my bonded pairs always chase for some reason. They have their own room though with lots of boxes etc.. there is no aggression, just chasing, especially if they are due to be fed. It may take a while to settle down between them :)

Janice usually suggests to give newly bonded pairs very little space. If they get too much space, they are more likely to start fighting. It happened to my foster girls after their spays.

Sunnie had a lot of scabs on her back, from getting nipped by Penny. I suspect that Bailey's may be from nipping, too.

That doesn't work for all bunnies. Giving some rabbits a small space doesn't give them much room to escape each other should they feel the need, and if they have a history of nipping or chasing it's best to give them more space with some places to hide. A relationship shouldn't be forced IMO and I find that with bunnies who are more difficult to bond than others giving them more room actually helps as they are less likely to feel threatened.

That doesn't work for all bunnies. Giving some rabbits a small space doesn't give them much room to escape each other should they feel the need, and if they have a history of nipping or chasing it's best to give them more space with some places to hide. A relationship shouldn't be forced IMO and I find that with bunnies who are more difficult to bond than others giving them more room actually helps as they are less likely to feel threatened.

But are they going to bond then, or will they just avoid each other? My foster bunnies did not want to hide, they went straight for each other, which they didn't do while they were in a small space. It is good to have some tunnel or cardboard boxes, just to make high speed chasing more difficult.

Humm Sarah, tricky. Try them with abit more space and see how they go?

Its agess since i bonded them for you.

i think they chase when bored because if they have more space they tend not to and choose to sit together.

we shall see

Back