• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

My 3 boys - what to do? u/d 26/12

Should I bond Pippin, Salt and Pepper?

• Yes

Votes: 7 63.6%
  • No

Votes: 4 36.4%

• Total voters

HS

Wise Old Thumper
Ok, so after losing Bobby and Ruby this last month, I am now left with 3 boys and two options.
Salt and Pepper are nethies and have always lived together.
Pippin was supposed to be bonded with Ruby, but that didn't happen, so currently he is on his own in a mahoosive run, looking a little lost. He is going to be a small to medium sized bunny when he is fully grown up.

I can either try to bond all 3 boys together and pop them into the large run.. I always had it in mind one day to have a group of bunnies in that run, as it is large enough to take at least 4 small bunnies (it's 9' x 6' x 3' high). Reservation is that they are all boys (all neutered and good natured).

Option two is to get Pippin a girlie bun to bond with. Problem being, that after having lost 2 bunnies in a short space of time, I'm not really ready to take on another bun, and my finances have suffered somewhat.

What do you think?

Last edited:
Is there no option 3 where the lone bunny can be indoors with you until the finances are better and you can get him a girly bun? bonding with a girly would be more likely to work so you have 2 happy pairs rather than potentially disrupt one happy pair. but i am no expert on bonding, having never done it myself, my knowledge is entirely gained from RU members :lol::thumb:
If you have a pair, could you swap them to the mahoosive run instead?

Hiya
I can't bring Pippin in as we already have a house bun.
If it's the best thing for Pippin, I will get him a friend.

See what happens with Salt & Pepper if your other bun is within smelling distance/sight. If they accept that I'd try 'em all. You can always separate Pippin again if it causes any probs:D

Why not do pairs instead of a three?
Cause at the moment I have three with each other and they get messy real easily and its more practical in twos I think. I will be separating them soon but as they have been together since birth I didn't think it was fair as they are still quite young.

See what happens with Salt & Pepper if your other bun is within smelling distance/sight. If they accept that I'd try 'em all. You can always separate Pippin again if it causes any probs:D

They are already in quite close proximity in the garden, and Pippin wants to get out to see them, but S&P aren't bothered at all :lol:

They are already in quite close proximity in the garden, and Pippin wants to get out to see them, but S&P aren't bothered at all :lol:

That's a good sign. My Flint & Alistair started to fight & I had to separate them (well Alistair is a wus, so he just sat there snuffling) - Flint is still in the group but Alistair has a girlfriend, but if Flint smells him he goes mental & starts chasing Smirnoff & Joey. Flint lives near Calel & his smell doesn't bother him - just the Wus Man.:roll:

im a wus with bonding males so not going to advise what to do ... but just want to say ...if you decide to get Pippin a friend because the 3 dont bond or you decide not to try....then dont feel you have to rush into it ..

if Pippin was still in rescue he would be on his own...so a wait for a while wont hurt ... as long as he gets company in the end .

i understand you have to feel ready yourself to take on another bun ..

give him a christmas cuddle from aunty Angie :wave:

im a wus with bonding males so not going to advise what to do ... but just want to say ...if you decide to get Pippin a friend because the 3 dont bond or you decide not to try....then dont feel you have to rush into it ..

if Pippin was still in rescue he would be on his own...so a wait for a while wont hurt ... as long as he gets company in the end .

i understand you have to feel ready yourself to take on another bun ..

give him a christmas cuddle from aunty Angie :wave:

He sends you a wave back!
He will definitely have company - I thought the boys would enjoy playing together, but I will definitely pair him up somehow.

Ok, so I put their temp runs closer to each other today - no reaction, so I put them a couple of inches apart.
Pippin and Salt were really interested in each other, but I think it may have been more aggressive than friendly, then Salt proceeded to mount Pepper and pull fur out. Poor old Pepper had no idea what was going on as he was happily minding his own business!
I've put them back in their enclosure now and they are fine - no fisticuffs. I think it may be best not to try bonding them, as I don't want to upset the bond that Salt and Pepper have.

I had the same problem not long ago but mine is two bonded boys and a single girl.Had a go at trying to bond them but one of the boys were getting left out:cry:Really not fair as they are brothers and been together four years.Split them up and am now picking up a little boy from BARC on Sunday:love::love:

I think I would try it & see what happens - I've got 3 groups, all of which have 2 males in (non-related) & they are more loved up than the females in the group :D If it doesn't work, you can still consider a new partner for Pippin :D

Ok, so I put their temp runs closer to each other today - no reaction, so I put them a couple of inches apart.
Pippin and Salt were really interested in each other, but I think it may have been more aggressive than friendly...I think it may be best not to try bonding them, as I don't want to upset the bond that Salt and Pepper have.

Trouble is you really can't tell from putting them next to each other - my two pairs would have really bad referred aggression whenever they saw each other, but when I bonded them into a foursome on neutral territory they were good as gold :? The only reason I put them back in their pairs was because after a few months Santa got very poorly with her snuffles and started to get bullied a bit.

I think I'm a bit scared now. After having lost 2 bunnies, I don't want to put any of the remaining ones at risk.
I'll give it another go when I'm feeling brave next week.

Back