• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.
  • Please Note - Medical Advice

Please keep in mind that posts on this forum are from members of the public sharing personal opinions. It is not a replacement for qualified medical advice from a veterinarian. Many illnesses share similar symptoms but require different treatments. A medical exam is necessary for an accurate diagnosis, without which appropriate treatment cannot be given.

You should always consult your vet before following any suggestions for medication or treatment you have read about. The wrong treatment could make your rabbit worse or mean your vet is unable to give the correct treatment because of drug interactions. Even non prescription drugs can do harm if given inappropriately.

We are very grateful to members who take time to answer other members questions, but please do be clear in your replies that you are sharing personal experience and not giving instructions on what must be done.

Urgent Medical Advice: If you need, or think you might need, urgent medical advice you should contact a vet. If it is out of working hours phone your vet's normal number and there should be an answer phone message with instructions on what to do.

Problems with cheek teeth

emsie_81

Young Bun
Hello everyone, I have recently adopted a lovely girl to keep my Hermes company, they are getting on really well, its wonderful to see them snuggled up together! :love:

We took Holly to the vets last night to get a health check and her vaccinations and we found out she has misaligned cheek teeth on one side and the vet said he'd never seen any so bad before in his career :( Her front teeth and the other side seem fine. The misaligned teeth have caused a very small abcess near her eye, so she is on baytril for 10 days and is going for a dental next week. Hopefully with the right diet we will be able to keep them worn down.

I was wondering if anyone who has dental buns has any advice on best ways to help her keep them worn down. She is now on a diet of excel pellets, hay and veggies. She hasn't shown a vast amount of interest in hay but loves her veg, especially carrots! :) Any help would be greatly appreciated! Sorry for the long post! :D

Hello

It sounds as though your Bun has quite advanced Dental Disease :cry:
How old is she?
Hay and grass are the most important ingredient in a Rabbits diet. So trying to get her to eat as much Hay/grass as possible will be the best way to try to minimise the frequency of Dentals she will need.

I do hope the Vet gave her some pain relief too as Dental problems that have led to abscesses will be uncomfortable. A skull Xray would be a good idea aswell as her Dental next week. The Xray would provide the Vet with more information about the state of your Bun's tooth roots. Tooth root elongation is another complication with Dental Disease in Rabbits.

A good hay based diet can help control Dental problems. But if the condition is congenital (genetic) as opposed to aquired (a problem that Bun was not born with but poor diet has led to) then its usually a case of damage limitation and longterm management (regular Dentals etc)

I hope your Bun's treatment goes well next week :)

Hello, thank you for your reply. We don't know how old she is, she was passed on to the rescue centre by a bird rescue centre, so we know very little about her previous background. The rescue centre estimated she was about 1 to 2 years old.

They are going to do an x ray on tuesday when she goes for the dental. They didnt give her any pain relief but she doesnt seem to be in any pain, she is eating fine and happy flopping all over the place. She is very relaxed and happy to be handled. I'm hoping we have caught it in time before it causes any pain. The abcess is tiny, it looks more like a spot than anything.

They have a continuous supply of hay and readigrass, and i'm trying to keep their veg in an evening to be mainly green leafy type veg that she needs to grind to eat. Im hoping so much that its all going to be enough. :(

Gho has the same problem from (before she was rescued) being starved and just not eating at all, but this naturally ground down with a good diet and most of all tough veg!
Once she's had her dental i'm sure she will be fine :)
It's a little strange the rescue's vet did not pick this up :?
Always the best advice Jane :thumb: :D

Back