• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.
  • Please Note - Medical Advice

Please keep in mind that posts on this forum are from members of the public sharing personal opinions. It is not a replacement for qualified medical advice from a veterinarian. Many illnesses share similar symptoms but require different treatments. A medical exam is necessary for an accurate diagnosis, without which appropriate treatment cannot be given.

You should always consult your vet before following any suggestions for medication or treatment you have read about. The wrong treatment could make your rabbit worse or mean your vet is unable to give the correct treatment because of drug interactions. Even non prescription drugs can do harm if given inappropriately.

We are very grateful to members who take time to answer other members questions, but please do be clear in your replies that you are sharing personal experience and not giving instructions on what must be done.

Urgent Medical Advice: If you need, or think you might need, urgent medical advice you should contact a vet. If it is out of working hours phone your vet's normal number and there should be an answer phone message with instructions on what to do.

Yet another abcess question....

Sooz

Wise Old Thumper
I just wondered, how many times those who have had bunnies with Mandibular abcesses have put them through surgery and how frequently?

Mack now has two new abcesses that need removing in the New Year. :(

The vet did want to remove Charlie's abcess after it returned to the same place 3 weeks after surgery. But it burst and I've been cleaning it everyday since and putting in the honey. It hasn't got any worse but hasn't got any better either.

What worries me if he goes in again and the op is still not sucessful and it comes back and this time doesn't burst under its own steam what then? Surgery? Again? At the moment he is happy, eating etc... I see no need for him to have it done again, yet.

Poor Mack, another two. :( Sending lots of vibes for him and you.

Poor Mack :cry: You could write to Lynda of CARROT who has Kobe and his abscesses on his jaw.

I do find that some do burst by themselves which is far better than having them done under GA all the time. Also, can they be lanced so that you can get to it?

Has he had cultures taken ?
Has Metronidazole been considered aswell as Depocillin/Ceporex ? There may be anaerobic bacteria involved which Metronidazole would zap.
Has he had a Skull Xray to assess the extent of the infection and how much bone is involved?

I am sorry to hear that he has developed more abscesses :cry:

No we havn't had a culture taken or a x-ray yet, these two will need excising/lancing to be able to get at any testable discharge and he will need a GA for this so would have x-rays at the same time.

I'm worried if they burst alone they will open on the inside of the mouth where it is impossible to clean and not the outside.

I was wondering about the Metronidazole, can it be used at the same time as Depocillin?

We're at a stale mate at the moment, he is due back at the vets on Jan 5th to consider our options as he could not have another aneasthetic before then, so all I can do for now is carry on with the Depo injections.

He is still very happy in himself, which is a blessing.

Yes, I believe Metronidazole can be used with Depocillin. I am wondering if the bacteria may actually be penicillin resistant though which is why I asked about the cultures.

Bloody abscesses :evil:

Can't really comment on number of ops, although Samwise, a previous rescue had about 4 ops in total for abscesses, before he died. This was before we used anything other than baytril. We nearly lost him once under the anaesthetic and once he wouldn't go under, so we had to take him home to try again the next day. He always recovered well until the last op, unfortunately he went into stasis.
Jess's abscess did open in her mouth, which is why we tried feeding manuka honey, the theory being it would at least put something antibiotic in her mouth even if we couldn't clean it.
Hope he is OK.

Yes, I believe Metronidazole can be used with Depocillin. I am wondering if the bacteria may actually be penicillin resistant though which is why I asked about the cultures.

Bloody abscesses :evil:

It didn't respond to Ceporex either.... :?
I've honestly had a gutsfull of it, he has been so very good for the vets but I get the impression he wants things to go back to normal too. :(:(:(

The other thing is, the abcesses have come up one behind the other, behind the other and they are moving back towards his throat....they won't go down into his throat will they?

Oh, poor Mack! :cry: :cry: Honestly, he has been through more than enough with these horrid things. I am sending him SO many healing vibes.....I hope that the New Year sees the end of the wretched things once and for all. :cry: :cry:

Oh, poor Mack! :cry: :cry: Honestly, he has been through more than enough with these horrid things. I am sending him SO many healing vibes.....I hope that the New Year sees the end of the wretched things once and for all. :cry: :cry:

Thank you Jill, I do too....I was hoping for a much better 2009 for the bunnies.

Unfortunately the bloody things can go anywhere.
I really would push for cultures ASAP. This may sound stupid but has he had just Baytril. Or a combination of Baytril/Depocillin ?
But really without cultures its all a guesses which with really aggressive multiple abscesses might not be the best option.
I assume all this is tooth root related ?

Unfortunately the bloody things can go anywhere.
I really would push for cultures ASAP. This may sound stupid but has he had just Baytril. Or a combination of Baytril/Depocillin ?
But really without cultures its all a guesses which with really aggressive multiple abscesses might not be the best option.
I assume all this is tooth root related ?

He has had Baytril, we did Baytril when it was just a post-operative cavity infection...then it became an abcess and we did Ceporex then when I felt the beginning of the second lump we moved onto Depocillin. :?

I'm assuming, due to this, that a Baytril/Depocillin combination wouldn't help.

It's all related to his lower incisors, they had never seen anything like them before.

Back