• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

The cost of rabbit ownership

Tempest

Warren Scout
I just read the article on the website, I don't normally keep track of what I spend on Rowan, but when it all adds up I'm surprised how much it is! Worth every penny. I'd would spend more if I had it :lol:

And my family thinks I spoil her ;)

My Dad thinks I waste too much money on my rabbits, he is horrified by how much I spend at the vets on them all and has even not so subtly suggested that maybe a couple of them should be PTS rather than keep being treated longterm in the past.

I just don't mention them around him any more :roll:.

if tom knew how much we spent on them he would probebly frea but to be honest its mostly spread out the costs arent all at once usually (unless big vet bll) so its not been too bad..... x

My mum thought I should put my Crunchie to sleep when she smashed her teeth in, and when I say that I'm taking them to the vet for jabs, I can hear her wanting to say "oh I wouldn't bother if I were you". I reckon that if you're going to take on a pet, you've got to be willing to pay the vet costs, as long as the pet isn't in major unhealable pain. I wouldn't want to give Crunchie up, what would Button do?!

Other than vet bills, I reckon I can feed and house my two for little more than £7 or £8 a week on average. Buying hay and straw from a farm is the best thing I do to keep the costs down.

my mum has loads of cats so understands the cost of my buns all she says to me is you learn the hard way about the respnsability of pets... you really do to :shock:

in the last 4 years of having buns i think ive spent thousands so much so i probably couldhave bout a new car :roll: but their all worth it :love:

So I'm not the only one people haven't understood why I spend money on Rowan. My family does, but we very animal orientated and they can see how much I all my pets mean to me. Friends on the other hand it seems to be hit and miss :?

When I explained to two of my friends about Rowans EC (both of them Veggie and apparently animal lovers :roll:). Just how theres no real cure, and I mentioned all the tests she had to have and the medication she's on for life. They suggested that as she is costing so much that I should have her put to sleep, as thats money I could put towards having my own flat (they'd also suggested before the EC that I leave her behind at my parents house when I move :? ) When I gaped open mouthed at them in shock, then told them off for suggesting something so awful they then said they suggested it because she was ill and suffering (though I had actually said she isn't suffering with the EC).

Then they suggested that I give her up to a rescue! Sorry for that rant, reading what your families had said about Vets bills just reminded me how annoyed I was at the time :lol:

Rabbits are of course worth it. I could have brought a new computer for everything I've spent on Rowan but as far as I'm concerned she's worth more than her weight in gold to me :love:

Though having said that, saving a few pounds isn't such a bad idea, I wonder if I can get all Rowans hay etc from a local farm? I'll have to have a google for one :lol:

I go to a kind of wholesalers maybe you could call it? I buy my rabbit food, sawdust and hay in sacks.
I do spend a lot on toys, treats, fruit and veg for them, and things like new cages and runs.

At the minute i'm making do with my hutches but i plan to have them in a shed. I've already bought the shed we just have no room in the garden because of my uncles stuff, but then i'll have to buy paint, lino, cat flaps etc.
I can't wait till summer :) even if i will be skint because of my animals again.

A lot of people don't understand the money i spend on my pets but their worth every penny.

I am lucky that my buns have been pretty healthy, but the regular trips to the vet for two, a new hutch cos their old one was ****, regular hay, straw for bedding and pellets plus all the veg I get them and very occasional treats do add up to a surprising amount! Not that I begrudge a penny as they give it back fourfold - even though grumpy Wolfie scratched me at the vets on Monday.

If I'm perfectly honest, if I'd have known how much they were going to cost me (it's now in the thousands) I wouldn't have got a bun because I had no idea what these wonderful creatures are really like.
But I'm so glad I found Totti 7 years ago as he started the obsession and buns have enriched my life.:love:

Getting hay from a wholesalers is a good idea, I live in quite a rural area so I'm bound to find one. Thats another option to be looking into, thanks for the tip Dayle :)

People don't seem to understand how much rabbits give to their owner - even some that have had them in the past, but I suspect it's because they've never spend any real amount of time with them and haven't learn't how they express themselves so can't understand when a rabbit is saying it's happy or likes something. Most don't think of rabbits as having any personality because they don't communicate in the same more obvious way dogs and cats do. But I've found (like everyone here I imagine) I can kind of read their emotions a bit, because we're used to them we pick up on things people that haven't keep rabbits or paid any attention to them don't.

Nickie, don't you just love grumpy buns? They have so much attitude! :D

Luvabun, if I'm honest before starting to keep rabbits if I had looked into how much it would cost more I may have thought twice about it. I've even thought that I won't anymore after Rowan, but I know deep down I'll never stick to that :lol:

Back