• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.
  • Please Note - Medical Advice

Please keep in mind that posts on this forum are from members of the public sharing personal opinions. It is not a replacement for qualified medical advice from a veterinarian. Many illnesses share similar symptoms but require different treatments. A medical exam is necessary for an accurate diagnosis, without which appropriate treatment cannot be given.

You should always consult your vet before following any suggestions for medication or treatment you have read about. The wrong treatment could make your rabbit worse or mean your vet is unable to give the correct treatment because of drug interactions. Even non prescription drugs can do harm if given inappropriately.

We are very grateful to members who take time to answer other members questions, but please do be clear in your replies that you are sharing personal experience and not giving instructions on what must be done.

Urgent Medical Advice: If you need, or think you might need, urgent medical advice you should contact a vet. If it is out of working hours phone your vet's normal number and there should be an answer phone message with instructions on what to do.

Bunny Won't Eat

Bonbons

New Kit
Hi
I urgently need help with my bunny Hiltz who has stopped eating. Over the last few months he has been steadily losing insterest in food. First it was his hay, then the pellets, followed by the vegetables and then finally all his favourite treats. His weight has dropped form 3.5kg at the beginning of the year to under 2kg now.
Came home Friday and noticed he was straining to poo and looking lethargic. Called the emergency vet who said his intestines did not appear to be functioning as no sounds could be heard. Could not feel any blockage and teeth were ok so admitted for further care/investigation. Syringe fed over weekend and medication got him eating a little and poo functions returned to normal but when I brought him home yesterday there was no sign of improvement. Would not eat and poo function abnormal which then ceased over night. Returned back to vets this morning and has been re-admitted for further syringe feeding and medication to stabilise condition to enable x-rays to be taken.
Hiltz did lose his partner several months ago and I know he misses her but the vet assures me this would not cause him to stop eating.
Has anybody got any ideas what is going on? I'm desparate for help as I don't want to lose another friend so soon. :cry::cry:

I have no idea hun but i just want to send bunny get well vibes :( Something definately isnt right, the weight changes are drastic :? hope it gets sorted soon, let us know how he gets on xXx

He's in the best place now, where tests can be done and appropriate treatment given. Sending lots of vibes, and hoping you get to the bottom of it.

Update on Hiltz

Hi
Thanks Becky86 and HS for your support. Thought I would give you an update.
Vet just called, to be honest I don't think they know what's going on. Hiltz still won't eat by himself although he is taking the syringe ok.
He's going to be sedated this morning and x-rayed to see if they can find any answers. I've also asked for a blood test and they are going to check his back molars for spurs - which is easier to do when unconscious.
Keeping fingers crossed (and everything else) - I just hope he's strong enough to survive the anaesthetic and they can find some answers with a positive outcome.

Hiltz did lose his partner several months ago and I know he misses her but the vet assures me this would not cause him to stop eating.
Has anybody got any ideas what is going on? I'm desparate for help

I disagree. If you circle thru some of the thread in this forum, many rabbits lost appetite and eventually passed away due to the loss of her/his partner.

I strong recommend you to go get a rehome bun from 1 of the close by homeless bunny shelters, at the very least, the daily eating of the new bun can induce the diet of your bun.

Hi all

Thanks for the support. Unfortunately, Hiltz was not strong enough to survive the anaesthetic and he passed away. We're devastated and can't believe this has happened to us again (we have lost 2 other much loved friends this year - his partner Bonnie and our old boy Puss the cat). :cry::cry::cry:
The x-ray was clear but they never managed to take blood for tests. I guess I shall never know what happened but at least he is back with his loved one now and they can enjoy running around together once more.
Xmas is cancelled for us now but I wish all my fellow animals lovers out there a very merry xmas and happy new year.

Oh, I'm so sorry to hear this. You did the very best you could for him, and he is now binkying around Rainbow Bridge.
I've lost two old friends this month, and know how hard it is.
Hugs to you.

Sorry for your news.

I believe the loss of a loved one CAN cause this to happen.

In July I had to have my rat Momo PTS and two days later his brother Jamie died, for no apparent reason although when Momo didn't return Jamie was very depressed.

My christmas wont be the same either, my beloved Stitch died on Saturday morning, he choked on his pellet and within 30 mins my life had been turned upside down :cry: It was all very sudden and will remain with me for life :cry:

Your bunnies wouldn't want you to be sad, they are with you, just in spirit and you must try and push on at christmas for everyone else (I have to cook dinner :roll: ).

Hope you feel better soon.

Only just seen this, I am so sorry he never made it.

I know when my bunnies have lost their partners they become "distant" and are not themselves and have been so worried I have got them a new partner within a couple of weeks and it does seem to perk them up.

Sending a big hug to you.

So sorry for your loss.

Get yourself a rehome bun in your area, many rabbits are waiting for months in a small living area inside a rescue center, waiting for a good home.

Are you in UK? If so,

ere's a list of rescue center in UK

http://www.rabbitrehome.org.uk/centres.asp

or go to the Rabbit In NEED section and see who's available

Or post in the rabbit in need section, many members w/ rescue centers will response to you

So sorry for your loss, It's a hard enough time, but even harder when your expected to be all bright andcheerful!! (just because it's christmas)

We lost Gizmo last year, she wasn't the same since she lost her mate nibbs. We managed to bond her with another but she was never the same. And believe it or not once she died charlie passed away a fortnight later. He was broken hearted too!! And none of their deaths were connected in any way!

Take comfort in the fact that they are all together now. And when you feel ready, give the love you can to more bunnies.

Remember the good and happy times,

Binky free Hiltz!!

Gem

Hi
I urgently need help with my bunny Hiltz who has stopped eating. Over the last few months he has been steadily losing insterest in food. First it was his hay, then the pellets, followed by the vegetables and then finally all his favourite treats. His weight has dropped form 3.5kg at the beginning of the year to under 2kg now.
Came home Friday and noticed he was straining to poo and looking lethargic. Called the emergency vet who said his intestines did not appear to be functioning as no sounds could be heard. Could not feel any blockage and teeth were ok so admitted for further care/investigation. Syringe fed over weekend and medication got him eating a little and poo functions returned to normal but when I brought him home yesterday there was no sign of improvement. Would not eat and poo function abnormal which then ceased over night. Returned back to vets this morning and has been re-admitted for further syringe feeding and medication to stabilise condition to enable x-rays to be taken.
Has anybody got any ideas what is going on? I'm desparate for help as I don't want to lose another friend so soon. :cry::cry:
EDITED: am so sorry for your loss i jsut read teh whole thing xxxx
it can cause him to stop eating. dora stopped eating after losing snowy and refused to eat again properly until arthur and her came together. i woudl also have his teeth checkd for any spurs this can cause problems

Last edited:
Back