• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.
  • Please Note - Medical Advice

Please keep in mind that posts on this forum are from members of the public sharing personal opinions. It is not a replacement for qualified medical advice from a veterinarian. Many illnesses share similar symptoms but require different treatments. A medical exam is necessary for an accurate diagnosis, without which appropriate treatment cannot be given.

You should always consult your vet before following any suggestions for medication or treatment you have read about. The wrong treatment could make your rabbit worse or mean your vet is unable to give the correct treatment because of drug interactions. Even non prescription drugs can do harm if given inappropriately.

We are very grateful to members who take time to answer other members questions, but please do be clear in your replies that you are sharing personal experience and not giving instructions on what must be done.

Urgent Medical Advice: If you need, or think you might need, urgent medical advice you should contact a vet. If it is out of working hours phone your vet's normal number and there should be an answer phone message with instructions on what to do.

A bit of advice please.

Hello I'm new here, and I'm new to the rabbiting world. I've just adopted a lovely little boy called Alfie. I picked him up on friday and he's settled in quite well. But this morning I noticed some squashy poo's in his cage, I cleaned them out of his cage and their has been no more today. But when I fed him tonight his tummy is making gurgling noises, and he seems to have a bit of a runny nose too. He is eating and drinking fine and is quite alert and active.
I'm wondering if his squashy poo's were because I gave him a few carrots last night, I've not given him anything today except hay and dried food.

I might be panicking but I just want to be sure everything is ok with him.

Thank you.

How much carrot did he have? Vegetables and any new food should be introduced very gradually, like a postage stamp size. Is he eating loads of hay? How much dried food is he getting? How old is he?

he had two bits of sliced carrot, you know the stuff you buy in tesco's all prepared, they are quite small bits. He is eating lots of hay, not sure how much his whole bed area is hay and he is munching on it quite well. I have given him two handfuls of dried food, is this ok or two much??

He is 12 weeks old.

If you can try huni get him off the dried food (is it a mix) a pellet only food is really best as they pick all the **** out of the mix and leave the best bits behind there are some good pellets around :wave:

Yes it's a mix, russle rabbit mix. I'm planning on changing him to science selective pellet food, is this good? I've left him on his normal food just now, and will start to change this over a week.

I think I would take him to the vets just to be on the safe side, as young bunnies are more prone to tummy problems (stasis or bloat). Or you could just phone the vet to ask them what they think?

i thought buns did squishy poos and then ate them again to make the hard round ones...
my bad.

i thought buns did squishy poos and then ate them again to make the hard round ones...
my bad.

They do but you shouldn't regularly see ceacal pellets lying about the cage, rabbits are suppsoed to eat them directly from the anus.

I would suggest that the stress of a change in environment coupled by a change in diet s probably responsible for this. You shouldn't attempt to alter a new bunnies diet for at least 7-10 days after they arrive with you to minimise the impact on their digestive system.

Doyou know what foods he was eating before you got him? :)

They do but you shouldn't regularly see ceacal pellets lying about the cage, rabbits are suppsoed to eat them directly from the anus.

I would suggest that the stress of a change in environment coupled by a change in diet s probably responsible for this. You shouldn't attempt to alter a new bunnies diet for at least 7-10 days after they arrive with you to minimise the impact on their digestive system.

Doyou know what foods he was eating before you got him? :)

oh cool. lol. ive never actually seen him do it.. never actually seen him poo unless its the round ones all over my carpet haha

He was on russel rabbit mix before i got him thats why I've kept him on it. I havn't tried to change him to pellets at all. I just gave him a few bits of carrot, maybe i should of waited. Sorry i'm new to bunny's but thank you for your advice.

What about his runny nose? What could that be?

He was on russel rabbit mix before i got him thats why I've kept him on it. I havn't tried to change him to pellets at all. I just gave him a few bits of carrot, maybe i should of waited. Sorry i'm new to bunny's but thank you for your advice.

What about his runny nose? What could that be?

It may be a conditon known as 'Snuffles' which is usually caused by a bacteria called Pastuerella. Again, this can be brought on by stress which lowers a rabbits immune system and allows a latent infection to become active. It will require a vets trip and more than likely a course of antibiotics.

Is the discharge coloured or clear?

oh cool. lol. ive never actually seen him do it.. never actually seen him poo unless its the round ones all over my carpet haha

It often just looks like they are grooming down below but you may catch them chewing afterwards. The brain signals to the rabbit when a ceacal is about to be 'dispensed' so the rabbits just eat them as they come out.

The discharge is clear. I've just been out to check him, he lives in my garage (no cars allowed) and he came from an outdoor home. His tummy isn't gurgling anymore, no squashy poos he seems fine.

It often just looks like they are grooming down below but you may catch them chewing afterwards. The brain signals to the rabbit when a ceacal is about to be 'dispensed' so the rabbits just eat them as they come out.

ok poppet has never seemed so vulgar haha!
love him all the same :love:

Back