• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

Christmas 'Just Incase' List.................

Jack's-Jane

Wise Old Thumper
So, being completely neurotic about my Buns I always expect the unexpected !!
I thought we could all contribute to a list of things to make sure we have available to help cope with any 'Bunny Emergency' that might occur over the Festive period.

Here's my list:

1 Details of Vets 'Out-of-Hours' arrangements including being familiar with location of various surgeries.

2 Sufficient supplies of Buns usual food

3 Sufficient supplies of all meds for anyBun on longterm treatment ( My Kitchen now looks like a well stocked Pharmacy :shock:)

4 First Aid Items (Non Prescription) - Infacol, 1ml syringes, Critical Care or similar, Heatpad, Probiotics, Sterile Saline (for flushing minor wounds), Sterile dressing pads, Sudocrem, Vaseline, Camomile and Mint Tea (good for poorly tums)

I always avoid giving new food types (including any new treats the Buns may get from Santa!!) until after Christmas when the Vets are open as normal !!

I never attempt a Bunny bonding-for obvious reasons !!

Its easy for me to keep to my Bun's usual routine and there wont be a house full of strangers for them to cope with. Well, I'm 'strange' but they are used to me!! :lol: But for 'normal' folk I'd make sure House Buns dont get stressed by changes to their routine and environment that Christmas celebrations may cause.

Your turn now :wave:

Last edited:
Do you know Jane, I hadnt thought about that no new food thing over xmas, but you're absolutely right!!! Dont want any avoidable upset bunny bellies here. Previously our usual vet would aften be on call but we've just had xmas news letter through and its the royal vet college on call, could turn out very expensive!!
I've got to go get extra bunny supplies tomorrow to see us over the xmas period.

No one comes to my house so I'm not worried. :)

I have my vet friend to call should I have any problems and she only lives 15 mins away from me, and I am always well stocked with their food because I buy it in bulk. I made sure I got 4 bales of hay incase I had issues getting any over the next month :oops: and today I bought twice the amount of veg I normally do to get my through to next monday. I always have science recovery, panacur, metacam, zantac, metoclop etc in anyway. Hopefully nothing will go wrong!!

Mines just the same as it is for the rest of the year :oops: I think knowing your vets emergency number and stuff like that is a good idea in general :)

Only thing im doing different is not drinking this year incase I need to drive any of my rats to the vets :cry:

Silly question :oops: I keep meaning to get some of this, but I don't know what I'm looking for in the shops - any particular products that anyone can recommend?

You can buy it in most Supermarkets. You'll find it in the Babycare Section

infacol.jpg

Thanks - in that case I need my eyes tested - you wouldn't believe the number of times I have hunted through the shelves of Tesco/Boots/Sainsburys/*insert favourite supermarket here*:oops:

I'm going to retire to a dark corner now

Thats such a good idea, you can guarentee things go wrong when the vets are shut :( *keeps fingers crossed*

I was thinking in tesco today... i need to get plently of veg in for the buns, im one of these people who go out daily to the supermarket, so dread christmas :cry: :roll:

xXx

Ok, here is my preparation.

Homer had teeth done last week - said he should be fine over xmas
Checked and Martin is on Xmas Day at emergency hospital between 7am - 1pm (since I have been there the last 2 Christmas days :roll:). They are open 24/7/365
Just picked up 2 big bags of Bunny Basics food
Got a fresh pineapple
Standard meds in first aid kit - Sudocrem, vaseline, cotton wool pads, cornflour, science recovery, syringes, metacam, infacol.
Got fresh veg (normal) - like Jane, don't like to try anything fancy while vets not open.
Intend to try and up the intake of water to help digestion (Katy had impact last Xmas day and Homer bladder sludge the previous Xmas Day)

Note to self:
Need to get some herbs in case they need tempting

Good luck everyone...........

If the bunnies need something I don't have here then it will be a definate vet jobby and unavaoidable....sometimes being a pessimistic OC is a blessing in disguise, I'm always prepared for the worst case scenario. :oops::oops::oops:

:oops: Dotn want to ask a stupid question but......What do you use infacol for?:oops:

Ive never heard anyone mention it before:oops:

*having a blonde moment*:oops:

Been out today and stocked up with greens, and also Megazorb to last over Christmas. Both buns on medication but have enough to last over Christmas and also some emergency medical supplies just in case.
I won't be feeding my 2 anything they don't usually have over the festive period either just in case it upsets their tums.

Thanks for the good advice Jane :wave:

I have nicked Andys fridge and its full of bunny food.All I can get at the mo is chopped spring greens and small spring green cabbages from SK fruits and cauliflowers.My fridge has carrots and sweet corn in.I hope my buns are Ok for food for Chrimbo even though they are free range all day.In an emergency I have three different vets I can go to and Im stocked up on infacol,bandages,antiseptic and everything else that I will need without a prescription.

Back