• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

post neutering advice needed please UD-See post 11-We now have poops!

Lil_Luci

Mama Doe
Am picking Gizmo up from the vets about half 3, but wondering if there is anything i need to do or not do? The vet nurse said he'll be fine having straw in his littertray, and he has carpet and a square of fleece lining in his cage. Is there anything I can do to make him more comfortable? Or anything I need to keep an eye on? Or anything I need to ask the vets for? Will he need pain meds or will he have been given enough to last him? How long after the op does the post op check up come? Can't wait to get my baby back, has been very strange not having him here today!

Last edited:
He should have had painkiller (metacam) to last 24hrs! My little man had his op on Friday he was very dozy for the rest of the evening I surounded him with a shallow bowl of water, basil, greens and hay! He seemed to be quite thirsty but he hardly ate anything! I had to keep tickling his nose with little bits and pieces before he would eat and holding the water bowl right under his chin so he could drink without moving. By 3am he was virtualy back to normal and munched loads of greens by next morning he seemed totally OK he did a huge binky!!! I made sure his litter tray was clean and he had a big piece of vet bed.

Most essential is that he is eating and drinking, and of course pooing. General Anesthetic, can slow down bunnies gut, so its important that it gets going again. If he has not done any of these within 24-36 hours I would take him back for a gut stimulant. Tempt him with his favourites.

I assume when you mention cage that your bunn is inddors, but just move him in to the living room, for a couple of days as bunnies can't regulate their temp after GA. Sophie is indoors but she still moved from the hallway as it was rather chilly on a night.

I wouldn't give him hay/stray, just an old towel, as hay/straw can irritate his bits as well as aggravate his stitches.

I expect he would be given pain meds which will last him. Ive never been given pain meds with any of my three.

Vet may make a post op check up. They (RSPCA) didn't with Charlie (boy), but they (my vets) did with the girls, as they needed their stitches removed. I expect it depends on what the vet uses to stitich them up. Some use the ones that dissolve otheres don't.

He's an indoor bun, was living in the upstairs lounge of my uni house, and then my bedroom for a few days, but is now in the lounge of my mums house. It isnt very warm though! I thought about maybe putting a hot waterbottle in, wrapped in towels as I don;t have a snuggle safe (or money to buy one :oops:) would that be ok? If Hay and straw isnt a good idea, should I empty his litter tray? thats the only place in his cage he has straw. If i do take the straw out, what should I use in his tray? Do you think I should stay up tonight with him to make sure he keeps eating? He's never been keen on drinking from a bowl, but he doesnt seem to drink much full stop, So i normally soak his greens to make sure he gets water from that. My dad has been sent out to get a coriander plant, and am gonna pick some dandilions from the garden in a min, just waiting for my dad to get here so we can go get him!

Have a mixture of greens ready and yes I'd take the straw and hay out.

Hay can be put into a cereal box, with a hole cut in it so they can pull out what they want :D

Water is better in a bowl and plenty of towels should be fine. I wouldn't worry about a hot water bottle as if he gets too hot he might not reaslise after GA.

What vets are you with?

They should give him metacam to take home to use for about 3 days. Also if he isn't pooping it isn't unusual for them to give a gut mobility injection and keep him in overnight. My vets do that in about 90% of cases.

Hope he recovers well, we'll have to hook up soon for a drink :)

*With regards to the water, I'd just give him options of bottle, greens and bowl.

For a male I wouldn't stay up at night if he seems ok this evening, however I set my alarm every few hours to check the wound. If he picks at it get him straight back in.

** I would also limit how much you let him run about for the 1st day or two.

Last edited:
He's been eating and drinking and has only been home 5 mins! seems full of energy already! Went to get him out of his carrier and he hopped the whole lap of downstairs! Was so worried about my little boy! He's eating loads! a whole spring green leaf already! The vets nurse said to keep an eye on him for nibbling, and if he starts to show interest to take him in and she'll put a collar on him if I can't find anything to put on him. Have got an old babygrow that I can use though :) Am so glad he is eating already :D :D :D

Aww that's good. Males do tend to recover so much quicker. Just make sure he doesn't run about too much for today ;)

He's been confined to his cage now lol. We've gotta go back xmas eve at 2 for his check up. We're with aniwell on wimborne road while we're home. He didnt get given any metacam to bring home though :? He seems perfectly happy now, has been eating lots, havent seen any pooh's yet, but i'm not sure, he seems to have an ability to hide them! Went to p@h and bought him some excel forage with herbs, dandilion and marigold, but he doesnt seem interested! prefers his cheapy morrisons hay! has been munching down dandilion leaves and coriander though :)

Does it say about any meds on the invoice?

Sometimes they inject them to last a few days instead of offering metacam and relying on the owner.

If he does seem in pain at all over the next few days I'd ask them to prescribe some.

i didnt get an invoice, my dad paid for it :lol: They didnt mention that he would need any, and he has been hopping around his cage since he got back at 4, so hopefully he'll be ok :) The vet is literally at the end of my road, so can get there easily :) And my dad knows the vet very well as he deals with the animal sanctuary he runs :) Am hopefully going over to the sanctuary tomoro to see all the new residents :D:D:D

Have been keeping a close eye on him for the past hour or so, to make sure he is pooping, as he has some strange ability to hide them! He has defo pooped now, but they are really really tiny :? Not sure if that is normal or if it means something is wrong :( They are a bit darker than normal, but less than half the size of his normal poops :? He has been eating like a trooper! 2 spring green leaves, a handful of coriander, apple, dandilion leaves, and lots of hay. Please can someone reassure me that small poops are normal after an op?! worried that i'm gonna have to take him back to the vets tomoro :(

yes smaller poops after an op are normal with the amount he's been munching since Im sure they will be back to normal size soon :D

Back