• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

Neutered male humping - is this normal?

Helenkj

Young Bun
Hi, I caught my neutered male Sooty humping his unspeyed wife this morning - is that normal? He is about a year old but she has not been speyed yet as she has only just turned 6 months old (we are having her done in January). Is this normal for a neutered male to do this?
Would be grateful for any replies! Thanks
Helen :?

When was he neutered? You should keep them apart for about 6 weeks I think because he could still be fertile.

It's quite normal behaviour when introduced to a new bun, or reintroduced to an old one. It's a dominance thing.

firstly he would be fertile between 4-6 weeks after his neuter so shouldnt be with her so soon. secondly even after that time he will hump her as she still smells of female sex hormones and also he may do it after she is speyed as they do it to establish dominance x

He was neutered in May (by the rescue we got him from) and they have been bonded since the beginning of October - is that long enough for him not to be fertile? Hope so, as definately cant manage any little ones!

Ah, just seen reply - so he should be safe then. I noticed she has been trying to dig through the straw in the hutch - is this a sign of fertility?

Thanks for replies!

Last edited:
Digging is quite natural for all rabbits so doesn't really mean much. If she is building a nest that means she is about the age to be fertile.

Back