• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

Plastic box for hutch?

pickles

Warren Scout
I spotted a rabbit the other day which has a plastic box as it's hutch. It has hay and food and water and the box has a hole cut in it which lets it out to a run- not a huge run but one none the less.

Is this enough for a rabbit? I think it would be too cold but anyone I have mentioned it to seems to think it's ok. It doesn't seem neglected as such but it's been bothering me so I thought I'd see what others thought!

Tobi used to have a plastic house before, but only in summer though. As it got colder I switched it out with a wooden box (it was also windy so the old house kept falling over:roll:)

if its only being used as a run shelter then i have no objections but as full time accomodation i think its too small storage box or omelet it would ened to be a minimum of 5ftx2ftx2ft and be weather proof too if you were to keep a bunny in it x

Sorry... not been back on the computer to reply.

Yeah, it's a storage box really. I pass it on my way to work and it's where it always sleeps. The people who have it live in a caravan so maybe they think everything should have a small living space! ::roll:

Updated just to say I kept seeing the poor thing and phoned the SSPCA just to check what they said and apparently it doesn't warrant concern. Because not all rabbits have a run anyway and just stay in a hutch which is a small space and they are furry so will keep warm from that.

I guess it's not classed as neglect, just not a living condition I would like to see my buns in... Makes me sad tho!

Updated just to say I kept seeing the poor thing and phoned the SSPCA just to check what they said and apparently it doesn't warrant concern. Because not all rabbits have a run anyway and just stay in a hutch which is a small space and they are furry so will keep warm from that.

I guess it's not classed as neglect, just not a living condition I would like to see my buns in... Makes me sad tho!

Perhaps you could speak to the owners? Sometimes it's just ignorance:(

My run only has a tiny 3ft hutch in it for shelter - but they only go in that (huge) run for exercise & have proper cosy hutches for a night

I know there are RSPCA people who post on this forum and I really don't wish to offend anyone or start a row but I'm afraid I have little faith in them. I reported my concerns about a different species of animal a few years ago and they showed no interest what so ever, in fact the comments that the person I spoke to made demonstrated that they had no knowledge of this particular animal at all or how it should be kept. I am talking about horses so not exactly anything out of the ordinary or obscure. Perhaps I was unlucky and caught them on an off day or got someone new or something.

Back