• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

Cremating Stitch?

vicki267

Mama Doe
Hi guys, you've probably seen in rainbow bridge that I lost Stitch yesterday.

Thing is paranoid thoughts are taking over about him being left at the vets for cremating.

They said that it will take 1-2 weeks usually but longer as we've got xmas coming.

I cant help but get thoughts that what are they actually gonna do with him? Will I get his ashes back or something else? They charge about £70 so I'm assuming that's normal and that they would give me him back but I just cant help feeling the way I do right now!

I still feel so down, I didn't really want to bury him as we wont be in our house forever and wouldn't want to leave him behind :cry::cry:

What would you do in my situation? They cremate for £25 if you dont want the ashes back but I want to keep him with me, although I dont "believe" plus the fact I wonder if they would bother to cremate if I didn't want him back if you get my drift :?

I'm such a mess right now, I made a website for him http://inmemoryofstitch.webs.com/index.htm

Vicki :cry:

I'm so sorry you're having to make this decision, I'm really not sure what I would do. Our hamster died in October and that was our first pet as (apart from childhood ones), he is buried in our garden. To me their body is just that and when they have passed on it is no longer them, just their vehicle. I know not everyone has the same view. What are your plans for the ashes if you get them returned?

We plant a rose for each of our bridge bunnies (although Bobby and Ruby are sharing, seeing as they were so close), and bury their bodies underneath. They are then nourishing the rose, and if we move we will take the rose bushes with us.

Can you 'phone the vets tomorrow and ask what will happen? That will put your mind at rest.

Personally I don't bring back my bunnies remains, I have them communally cremated.

If you would prefer to bury him but want to be able to take him with you when you move a friend of mine buys a large ceramic plant pot and rose bush when one of her bunnies dies and buries them in the pot with the rose planted on top.

You could also add a plaque if you wanted.

I honestly dont know what to do. I've never lost a pet that I've been so close to before.

We dont have anywhere in our garden to bury as it's all concrete, hence another reason why I want him cremated.

I dont know what I'd do with the ashes, whether I would keep them or scatter them somewhere I can always visit, even once we've moved.

I hate having to make this decision so soon.

I'm worried that if I change my mind and do want to bury him by the time I call them it's too late. :(

*I'd probably end up killng the rose bush :oops:

We had Wellie cremated. He was left behind by our vile next door neighbours and we took him in. We dont plan on being where we are forever and when he died I felt really upset about burying him here and leaving him behind if we moved as they did :oops: so we had him cremated.
We have his ashes in a little wooden box. We paid about £40 i think to have him cremated by himself and then have his ashes back. Of course I've no way of knowing if its actually him, i guess you just have to really on the honesty and integrity of the people doing it.
He's on a shelf on our dresser at the mo :oops: When we move to somewhere we feel more settled in and want to stay then I think either we will scatter his ashes in the garden then. Or, and this sounds very silly but if we've still not moved but if his former lady bun Daisy passes, I think I'd scatter their ashes together in a meadow or something.
Sorry, I dont know if that helps with your dilema at all. I do kinda know that Wellie isnt there anymore and what difference does having his ashes make? But another part of me feels quite spiritual/superstitous? about it. :?
I'm very sorry for your loss of Stitch x x x

We had Wellie cremated. He was left behind by our vile next door neighbours and we took him in. We dont plan on being where we are forever and when he died I felt really upset about burying him here and leaving him behind if we moved as they did :oops: so we had him cremated.
We have his ashes in a little wooden box. We paid about £40 i think to have him cremated by himself and then have his ashes back. Of course I've no way of knowing if its actually him, i guess you just have to really on the honesty and integrity of the people doing it.
He's on a shelf on our dresser at the mo :oops: When we move to somewhere we feel more settled in and want to stay then I think either we will scatter his ashes in the garden then. Or, and this sounds very silly but if we've still not moved but if his former lady bun Daisy passes, I think I'd scatter their ashes together in a meadow or something.
Sorry, I dont know if that helps with your dilema at all. I do kinda know that Wellie isnt there anymore and what difference does having his ashes make? But another part of me feels quite spiritual/superstitous? about it. :?
I'm very sorry for your loss of Stitch x x x

That's exactly how I feel :oops:

Thanks Jane and Jackie, I have contacted shirley about it ;)

That's exactly how I feel :oops:

Thanks Jane and Jackie, I have contacted shirley about it ;)

do you know that for some people shirley will drive them to where their pet is cremated,wait with them and arrange everything,and then on the way back she takes them to a little cafe in the new forest and sits with them and has a chat,which for some old people that is lovely as they are not on their own.I think shirley is such a sweet and tiny lady like a dolly:) thinking of you vicki xxx

do you have any homeowning friends who would let you bury him in their garden?

i move house a lot but when i lost poppy I buried her in my mum and dad's garden so i can still visit her.

No I'm only 23 so not many of my friends own and those who do have flats.

My mum doesn't plan on living in her place forever either.

I'm trying to find a few more places locally so I can call tomorrow.

I just think I'm very bitter right now and in a few days will see sense a bit easier and TBH find that the vets are quite honest after all.

Jackie - I took him to your vets in the end as I didn't know if PDSA were open.

hi vicki i dont think the pdsa would have been open,which vet was on duty at my vets?I think any vets can organise cremation for you,but like you say it is all too much to soon.If i can do anything please say xxx I know that Shirley will do everything needed and bring back his ashes in a special box,but it depends if you want to be there too xx

I've had 2 buns cremated at the Dignity Pet Crematorium and have been so pleased with their serivce.

I am 100% convinced that they do as they say and cremate the animals individually.

I have the ashes as I inteneded to scatter them in teh garden as both buns adored hopping around but I havne't had the guts/ inclination to do it yet so they're both in the little wicker caskets.

If you can, I'd definitely take him to the crematorium yourself. It will help give you closure if you feel like you do at the moment. I've only felt the need to do it with one dog as she died at home and hated the vets so much, I couldn't stand the thought of leaving her there even dead. I had her done individually (there was only her in the incinerator) and brought the ashes home the same day. It took about 2 hours, but that may be less for a bunny as my dog was over 40 pounds. They were lovely and couldn't have treated her with more respect and dignity had she been human. They even brought a gurney out and covered her with a lace blanket, then laid her out in their chapel of rest for me to say goodbye - even asked me did I want to borrow scissors to take a lock of her hair. They even have cctv so you can see them be placed into the furnace, but obviously switch it off before they fire it up.

Most vets have a contract with a pet crematorium for animals the owners want the ashes of - if you get offered 'token' ashes, don't use them as you could be getting the ashes of any animal back. Good crems do one animal in the incinerator at a time when they are going back to their owner. The pets that the owners don't have the ashes back of are cremated together and scattered in the garden of remembrance. I think it's illegal for them to be disposed of in any other manner, i.e. in landfill.

Last edited:
If you can, I'd definitely take him to the crematorium yourself. It will help give you closure if you feel like you do at the moment. I've only felt the need to do it with one dog as she died at home and hated the vets so much, I couldn't stand the thought of leaving her there even dead. I had her done individually (there was only her in the incinerator) and brought the ashes home the same day. It took about 2 hours, but that may be less for a bunny as my dog was over 40 pounds. They were lovely and couldn't have treated her with more respect and dignity had she been human. They even brought a gurney out and covered her with a lace blanket, then laid her out in their chapel of rest for me to say goodbye - even asked me did I want to borrow scissors to take a lock of her hair. They even have cctv so you can see them be placed into the furnace, but obviously switch it off before they fire it up.

Most vets have a contract with a pet crematorium for animals the owners want the ashes of - if you get offered 'token' ashes, don't use them as you could be getting the ashes of any animal back. Good crems do one animal in the incinerator at a time when they are going back to their owner. The pets that the owners don't have the ashes back of are cremated together and scattered in the garden of remembrance. I think it's illegal for them to be disposed of in any other manner, i.e. in landfill.

Thanks for that, I will call them tomorrow to double check they will do him individually, I would assume that is why it is so much more expensive to have them back, as they cremate individually.

A lock of fur is a lovely idea, if not too late I will ask if they can snip a little off for me.

I think I am doing the right thing, but it still doesn't seem possible. Didn't think I would have to make a decision like this for a long time :cry:

i had buster cremated and i feel happy for doing it but tbh you may nto eb in your house forever but the bun will eb with you regardless i bury and cremate mine but i know that they go on so it doesnt matter if you move house or not

Back