• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.
  • Please Note - Medical Advice

Please keep in mind that posts on this forum are from members of the public sharing personal opinions. It is not a replacement for qualified medical advice from a veterinarian. Many illnesses share similar symptoms but require different treatments. A medical exam is necessary for an accurate diagnosis, without which appropriate treatment cannot be given.

You should always consult your vet before following any suggestions for medication or treatment you have read about. The wrong treatment could make your rabbit worse or mean your vet is unable to give the correct treatment because of drug interactions. Even non prescription drugs can do harm if given inappropriately.

We are very grateful to members who take time to answer other members questions, but please do be clear in your replies that you are sharing personal experience and not giving instructions on what must be done.

Urgent Medical Advice: If you need, or think you might need, urgent medical advice you should contact a vet. If it is out of working hours phone your vet's normal number and there should be an answer phone message with instructions on what to do.

Bunny with a wet chin, chest and legs

hi everyone,
This is my first post so go easy on me.

my 3 year old rabbit benji (dwarf lop) has had teeth problems since the day i got him, mainly because he will not chew anything apart from his food, this causes his teeth to grow quite long and about every 8 weeks he has to go to the vet to get them cut back.
3 weeks ago the vet put him under sedation to cut his front teeth and to file down his back teeth.
The problem now is that he has a constantly wet chin, chest and paws.
He is eating very well with no signs of any illness.
Has anyone seen this with other rabbits as he has never had the wet chin etc before.
I do not know what to do at the moment, does he maybe need an x-ray or is there potentially other problems with him. The vet did not mention if he had any other problems.

Thanks
kirsty

The wet chin is caused by drooling of saliva, the drooling is caused by teeth problem. that means either your vet missing something, or his filing isn't done right. it's also possible there are hidden teeth growing in the wrong direction that can only be view by X-ray around the head when the bun is in deep sedation.

Is it possible that he either 1. had some sopft tissue lacerations or ulceration to his cheeks and mouth due to his teeth or 2. that the vets accidentally cut his mouth during the procedure?

Does he have any pain relief after his dental (I'm assuming this is molar work and not incisoral so forgive me if I'm way off the mark)?

Thanks for the replys.
Benji had his incisors clipped and his molars filed down.
We have been using the same vet since we got benji and i hope that if they had cut the inside of his mouth or he needed pain killers after his procedure then we would have been told.
Benji is going back to the vet tomorrow as his incidors have grown very long in 3 weeks and need clipping again.
We will ask the vet again to check his mouth for more teeth problems.

thanks
kirsty

It might be worth asking the Vet about having Benji's Incisors (front teeth) removed as they are growing so quickly. I would also advise getting a skull Xray taken to assess the tooth roots. Tooth root elongation occurs in advanced Dental disease which is what you may well now be dealing with.
Tooth clipping can cause problems if the tooth enamel cracks. Bacteria can get into the roots causing abscessation. Does Benji have a lumpy jawline?
Tooth root elongation can cause pain. This may present as excessive salivation, selective feeding, runny eyes, snotty nose etc.

Back