• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

Well I went and got her...............

Hello

After all the turmoil I felt 18 days ago. I have gone and got Honey.
For those of you that don't know about this, have a read of my previous thread.

http://forums.rabbitrehome.org.uk/showthread.php?t=157538

I thought she was going back to the breeder a couple of weeks ago, but discovered last week that she still hadn't gone.
She had been put in the back room as she has got eye problems (which the shop have been bathing daily) because they didn't want anyone to have her with the problem.
I went to see her on Thursday (mistake). She has grown so much, probably because she couldn't have any exercise and her eyes are really bad.

I felt so sorry for her.
The shop said she would definately be going back to the breeders TODAY (saturday), but couldn;t tell me what would happen to her after that.

Of course, I then had another sleepless night, not able to get her out of my mind. Same again all yesterday afternoon.
By 5.30pm last night I couldn;t bear it any longer. I had to go and get her.

So I did.

She is now at home, indoors after all ( i have put her in a metal run in our dining room) It's not ideal I know. About 5ft long, 4 ft wide and 2 ft high (approx), but it is so much bigger than she's had.
She will be able to run around our lounge in a few days time, but fo the moment I want her to settle.

I have booked her into the vets to see "auntie Billy" on Monday 6pm for a health check - eyes, teeth, weight, nails heart, etc.
She may well have her one of her jabs done at the same time.
In the next couple of months I will get her speyed(SP).

I know this situation is not ideal, but I HAD to save her.

Incidently, Eric and Ernie, will not be meeting her. Their routine will not change.
I am committed to doing the very best for them, as well as giving Honey a perfect home for as long as possible (hopefully forever) that's the plan.

I hope I haven't offended anyone by getting her, I know how much rescues are promoted on her, but in Honeys case, I really believe she needed rescuing.

I'm trying to download a video of her in her new home, but it's taking forever. So I'll do it later.

Sorry for the long post

JR xx

Last edited:
Awwww, well done. I was surprised that you never got her in your last thread. I too was torn like this with Homer, it took me 4 days to go and get him - we have never looked back.

What a lovely christmas present for you and her.:D

Edit - he is my only pet shop bun, other 3 have been rescues. He stole my heart as he looked just like the one we had lost and he licked me when I put my had to him - some things are just meant to be.

Last edited:
Don't feel bad about getting her and what people think at the end ofthe day a poorly bun as had a chance of a forever home and that is what is important:D

The thought of what the breeder may have done with her would have prompted me to do the same.
If the breeder really cared surely she would have collected her a long time ago?
I hope she settles well and her health check goes OK:D

Im so happy for you and i cant wait to see her grow and hear all about her progress!!! What great christmas news!! Sending lots of vibes for this gorgeous girl!! :love:

I agree with all the above - you did the right thing. :D So pleased for her that she'll have a loving home and for you that you won't have the heartache of always wondering 'what if I'd got her' if you'd left her in the shop.

Happy Xmas both of you!

shes a gorgeous bunny! Nobody should make you feel bad hun because youve saved a poor bun from uncertaintity and probably death! Well done you :wave:

Hello again:wave::wave:
Thank you for the lovely posts. I was so worried about letting you know.:oops::oops:

She is just as adorable and gentle as I first thought. In fact, more so.
She seems really happy and is always flopping and even though the run isn't huge, she has done a couple of binkys.
I just wish I had got her earlier. Maybe her eyes wouldn't have got so bad and she wouldn't be so plump. Will find out on Monday is she needs to go on a diet. I don't think she needs to eat less, just have more exercise (bit like me really)

I love her soooo much. She is even more ginger in colour - really orange with one little white front paw.
She is quite nervous when I go to get close, but once I'm there and stroke her, she allows me to pick her up and she snuggles into my chest and her little head goes under my arm.

She was so good overnight and was so good all day. She eats her hay and is doing well in her litter tray.

All I need to do now is find out the things i should know about little girlies!!!

Is there anything I need to be aware of?

By the way, Eric and Ernie are still my treasured little buns and their routine will not be changed. They know nothing of Honey.
I am changing my clothes before seeing them and washing my hands. Is this the correct thing to do? I don't want to upset them with her scent.

Anyway, thanks again and I will get the videos and photos on here when I go back to work on Monday and can get onto my laptop. (this is just the home one)

Have a good weekend everyone and thanks again for your support

I may be way off the mark here and someone who is more experienced than me might be able to help but could you try bonding her with Eric and Ernie and if it doesn't work keep her indoors?
I did consider doing this when Kay got a gorgeous little lionhead girlie in but we decided against it as she is a bit too feisty for my 2.
Just wondered if it was worth a try. Don't know what would happen if it didn't work - or are you happy having her inside?

I may be way off the mark here and someone who is more experienced than me might be able to help but could you try bonding her with Eric and Ernie and if it doesn't work keep her indoors?
I did consider doing this when Kay got a gorgeous little lionhead girlie in but we decided against it as she is a bit too feisty for my 2.
Just wondered if it was worth a try. Don't know what would happen if it didn't work - or are you happy having her inside?

Hello
I can't really bond her with the boys, as she has been indoors and they are outside in their shed. SO she can;t go out until the spring anyway.
The boys have only really just settled after a very long bond, so I think it may upset them having her in with them so soon. (she may well be good for them, but I'm not attempting it at the moment)
She will be seeing the vet tonight, so will ask when she can be speyed. I don't want to do anything until after then.

SO basically, we'll take one step at a time. Get her settled and healthy first.
Get her speyed and then in the spring, look at where she fits in with the boys and being an outside bun.

My boys were here first and I want them to be happy as well.

We will have lots more choices in the spring, so not making any decisions just yet.
Anyway, it's quite nice having cuddles with her, as the boys don;t really do the cuddling thing!! (That's for girls they say!!!)

She is sooooooo lovely though and hopefully will enjoy life at our house, as much as we enjoy having her!!!

I am so happy for you and for your lovely new bun
I think it's a lovely idea having her as a house bun and leaving the boys outside - my boys don't like being cuddled too much either.
I could just see her bossing them about though:lol:

Back