• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

Nettles in hay??

lotsofsmoggies

Mama Doe
Apart from the ouch and pain from when you put your hand into the hay bag any reason why rabbits shouldn't have dried nettles?

Nesbit will dive into the tray and pull out the dried stalks to eat straight away and if anything the hay eaten goes up. So is it good for them? Its from farm shop brought bales.

Ive read on several food lists that nettles are ok for bunnies! I don't get how it doesn't sting their little mouths though! Just had a look on my pack of naturals Herb Garden and it also contains nettle so should be safe :D

Are they nettles or thistles? Nettles are not too bad when they are dried, and the bunnies love them. But I recently had a bag of hay with thistles in it, and I could only handle it with gloves on. The bunnies didn't seem to mind, but I was still worried that they might get a little spike stuck in their nose or tongue, so I tried to remove the thistle bits.

Think it is a mixture of them both as I have the leaves from nettles and the flowers from thistles. And what looks like dried stalk from cow parsley too as well as nettle/ thistle stalks.

If all these extras are good I'm glad. Just when you put your hand in and it getting prickles all over you do think is this actually good?

Think it is a mixture of them both as I have the leaves from nettles and the flowers from thistles. And what looks like dried stalk from cow parsley too as well as nettle/ thistle stalks.

If all these extras are good I'm glad. Just when you put your hand in and it getting prickles all over you do think is this actually good?

Yeah, and some of these prickles are so small and stay in your skin forever. Very annoying.

My lot love nettles, they have fresh in summer and dried in winter. I have been stung a few times from the fresh ones, when I forget they are in their mix.:lol:

Back