• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

Do you think they know?

Lil_Luci

Mama Doe
We obviously all know buns need hay, but do you think they do? Like humans can make themselves eat something they dont like if it will do them good, or we take supliments to make up for it. Buns obviously need hay for their guts and their teeth, but not all buns seem keen on eating it. Do you think they realise they need to eat it? and if so, does some hay just taste so bad they can't bring themselves to force it down? Gizmo has never been a massive hay eater, although he is very good with the excel forage stuff. he'll eat it if i stuff it in toilet roll tubes too. Not sure if he realises its for his own good though!

Sorry about the random post, have got a headache from crying and am waiting for my puffy eyes to go down before i go to sleep! dont wanna wake up with a puffy face :lol:

I don't think they do to be honest. I think they learn to eat hay from their mothers behaviour and part of it is a natural instinct. I'm sure if they had the option they'd eat nothing but treats :lol:

I dunno... But my Barney-boy had always gone through cycles of really liking hay, to suddenly going off it entirely, meaning I had to do a mad scramble about to find him a new kind to tempt him back into eating it... His teeth are fine, had the vet check them, and they were pronounced as perfect as they could be... So he was just randomly being picky... But each time he did this, he'd often time it with him starting to moult, and he really needed his hay at those times. So he'd have GI stasis episodes. The last one was really bad, I sat up all night with him until he was eating again. Since that time, he's discovered an absolute love for hay. :shock: Not new hay, same hay as always - just now he treats it like I'm giving him the bestest stuff in the whole wide world. Plus, he drinks waaaay more water now than he used to. He honestly used to hardly drink at all. So now he keeps himself full of hay, and hydrated... and he's not had any GI stasis scare for a long while. *touches wood* ^^'

I'm not sure if he actually KNOWS hay specifically is good for him, but it's honestly almost as if last time an alien invaded his little body, or he realised he needed to drink and eat more hay in order to stay healthy.

... but then again, I'm a bunny-mummy who believes her Barney-bunny is extremely intelligent at the best of times. :p

Back