• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.
  • Please Note - Medical Advice

Please keep in mind that posts on this forum are from members of the public sharing personal opinions. It is not a replacement for qualified medical advice from a veterinarian. Many illnesses share similar symptoms but require different treatments. A medical exam is necessary for an accurate diagnosis, without which appropriate treatment cannot be given.

You should always consult your vet before following any suggestions for medication or treatment you have read about. The wrong treatment could make your rabbit worse or mean your vet is unable to give the correct treatment because of drug interactions. Even non prescription drugs can do harm if given inappropriately.

We are very grateful to members who take time to answer other members questions, but please do be clear in your replies that you are sharing personal experience and not giving instructions on what must be done.

Urgent Medical Advice: If you need, or think you might need, urgent medical advice you should contact a vet. If it is out of working hours phone your vet's normal number and there should be an answer phone message with instructions on what to do.

another question re seperating

jenny s

Mama Doe
my two bunnies are 10 weeks old tomorrow and im starting to think about seperating them. when i do i will split the shed down the middle so they still have loads of room and can see each other. i will book the male to be done as soon as he drops and the female in the warmer spring i think. when the time comes should he be on his own for 4 weeks after op or longer? then should the intros be relativly straight forward. also can they have a teddy each as abit of company to cuddle to at night.

thanks jenny

I would chat to your vet. Our vet will neuter when the girls reach a kilogram which usually means boys and girls can be done together which is the best solution if possible. If not he needs to be kept away for 6-8 weeks & you really ought to have a slight separation between the two just in case as rumour would have it that they can mate if just separated by one layer of mesh. If you're having to wait that length of time it is probably best to keep them apart until she is spayed as it will cut down on any hormonal agression towards him and will also enable you to keep a closer eye on her when she is spayed.

thanks for the reply.

i feel so guilty seperating them as they snuggle so well together. at the moment he weighs around 5 lbs and she is around 6lbs so maybe i will leave them longer so they can both be done together. can they still have playtime out together if i keep a very very good eye on them?:D

just checked and if the vet would do her at a kilo she could be done now:shock: but she is only 10 weeks. would she be ok to be done in a couple of months time?

Last edited:
Umm, rabbits can be fertile from 10 weeks!! You need to seperate them now or have them both done at 12 weeks.

Tamsin

my vet said they could be done at 16 weeks so still have 6 weeks yet. i have been told they are slower than normal rabbits as they are conti's is this right

my vet said they could be done at 16 weeks so still have 6 weeks yet. i have been told they are slower than normal rabbits as they are conti's is this right

I was told that too :? They mature slower. Ronnie was neutered at 20 weeks as thats when he got all his 'bits' :)

I wouldnt let them play together, you dont want babies especially as theyre brother and sister. Id divide the shed with 2 layers of weld mesh, with an inch or so inbetween :) Would need to be full height too as they can jump high!! :lol: The divide thing might not work as hormones will be flying around :? You may have to seperate totally or use wood down the centre of the shed :?

It may seem cruel splitting them but you have to be cruel to be kind :) xXx

thanks becky

i will get some weld mesh and attatch it floor to celing. i supose for a few short months of being crule in the long term im being kind:D as i dont want babies. he can always hump a teddy in the mean time :D

thanks becky

i will get some weld mesh and attatch it floor to celing. i supose for a few short months of being crule in the long term im being kind:D as i dont want babies. he can always hump a teddy in the mean time :D

:lol::lol: Ronnie has a teddy... i'll see if i can find a pic of him with it. Ive never seen him hump it, he just lies on it :love: xXx

EDT: Here he is with his ted... :love::love:

100_0693.jpg

Last edited:
sorry, didn't read the 10 weeks bit...if your vet wont spay until 16 weeks then yes you should separate them now Conti's do mature slower on average than a nethie say but it isn't worth the risk.

Back