• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.
  • Please Note - Medical Advice

Please keep in mind that posts on this forum are from members of the public sharing personal opinions. It is not a replacement for qualified medical advice from a veterinarian. Many illnesses share similar symptoms but require different treatments. A medical exam is necessary for an accurate diagnosis, without which appropriate treatment cannot be given.

You should always consult your vet before following any suggestions for medication or treatment you have read about. The wrong treatment could make your rabbit worse or mean your vet is unable to give the correct treatment because of drug interactions. Even non prescription drugs can do harm if given inappropriately.

We are very grateful to members who take time to answer other members questions, but please do be clear in your replies that you are sharing personal experience and not giving instructions on what must be done.

Urgent Medical Advice: If you need, or think you might need, urgent medical advice you should contact a vet. If it is out of working hours phone your vet's normal number and there should be an answer phone message with instructions on what to do.

Please help

Jenefina

Mama Doe
My baby Pye has stopped eating again, its happened in the past but he's been fine for so long.

I've given him a 1ml dose of infacol, unfortunately the other ml ended up over the both of us. I have a carton of pineapple juice in th cupboard but you guys only talk about freshly squeezed. is it worth giving him this?

Sorry for short post but ina a mild panic now

is he pooing?

has he seen a vet?

if hes seen a vet try seringe feeding him mushy pellets and if this doesnt work get him back to the vet asap.

hope hes ok hun xx

I tried chasing him round the room, read somewhere its best to keep him moving and noticed one pooh that had some fur in but thats all he done since he's been out as far as i can tell

So he was eating at 4 pm.

Does he have a history of not eating and if so, what has the Vet said is the cause of this?

Not sure about the pinapple juice but think a little diluted with water would be OK. Try laying him on his back on your knee and giving him a tummy rub.

You could also pm jacks jane and sooz who are very knowledgable and might have some suggestion.

Good luck to the little one.

Rabswood

Last edited:
So he was eating at 4 pm.

Does he have a history of not eating and if so, what has the Vet said is the cause of this?

The vets have not really said exactly why, i think it was mainly wind, there were no blockages or anything. its happened quite a few times, strangely he always picks up about 4 in the morning but it kills me every time thinking what if.

he only has a small amount of burgess, a bit of carrot and spring greens with his hay and redigrass. i cut everything else out of his diet in case i was causing it and he's been fine for months now. he's had nothing strange and nothing i know that has stressed him out

The vets have not really said exactly why, i think it was mainly wind, there were no blockages or anything. its happened quite a few times, strangely he always picks up about 4 in the morning but it kills me every time thinking what if.

he only has a small amount of burgess, a bit of carrot and spring greens with his hay and redigrass. i cut everything else out of his diet in case i was causing it and he's been fine for months now. he's had nothing strange and nothing i know that has stressed him out
My buns don't have a problem with Readigrass but I vaguely remember some people on here who find it gives their buns bloat.

So, armed with this info, I would cut out the Readigrass and spring greens for a while and carry on making him run around.

p.s. I take it then that the Vet ruled out teeth problems?

My buns don't have a problem with Readigrass but I vaguely remember some people on here who find it gives their buns bloat.

So, armed with this info, I would cut out the Readigrass and spring greens for a while and carry on making him run around.

p.s. I take it then that the Vet ruled out teeth problems?

he has his teeth checked every 6 month when he goes for his boosters and they always say they're fine (he has nethie in him so i always get them checked)

god i wish i'd known about the grass, will take it out of the hutch

he's gone into hiding but will get him out and start chasing again

It's a fine line between getting him moving and stressing him out.

What's his absolute favourite treat? I'd throw in some fresh hay - mine go nuts for it when it's fresh

Just found some metacam from his last bout in July, it sys shelf life is 6 months after opening, do i risk giving him some? i can see he's in pain and he's getting really upset with me chasing him round the flat

Thanks for helping, feeling very scared and useless right now

It maybe be worth phoning your vet as none of us on here can tell you whether or not to try the metacam because it is a perscription medication only:D
Good luck and hope your bun is better soon:D

I would leave him be for a while to calm down. How do you know he's in pain? (sorry for so many questions, but that's the best way we can try and work out what's best for him).

It's a fine line between getting him moving and stressing him out.

What's his absolute favourite treat? I'd throw in some fresh hay - mine go nuts for it when it's fresh

I'm going leave him be for a bit, give him another ml of infacol and then surround him with food, problem is keeping his greedy girldfriend from eating it all which happened last time

I'm going leave him be for a bit, give him another ml of infacol and then surround him with food, problem is keeping his greedy girldfriend from eating it all which happened last time
If you really need to see if he's eating or not, you'll have to take greedy guts out the way - it won't hurt for a while.

we have two poops, thats good right

She's already in a huff cos he's getting all the attention
:) Poops are good. Let him have the freedom and the food and pick her up and give her loads of cuddles - you can monitor his food intake then.

ok so in two and a half hours we've had 6 normal size poops and a little wee. does that means its not stasis? his tummy gives off the occasional loud gurgle. sorry for posting all this, haven't had the internet for over a year so last few times, even with vets its felt like wining it

Back