• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

First real bunny problem

sunnibunny

Alpha Buck
Hi guys,
Today my bunny went into the vets for her to check up on her sneezing. We got now a powder to use after the baytril only helped alleviate her sneezing.
While she was in the vets, I asked them to check her teeth and apparently she has spurring in her back teeth. She is still a young bunny, so I am a bit worried that she is already having problems. Anyway, on monday she is going under anesthetic and her back teeth will be grinded down and set right.
Im a bit nervous, as this is my first real medical problem with my bunny requiring anesthetic! Hope she will be ok.

My Eric had it done while he had his neuter done.
He had a check up last month and the vet said he should be fine for a while.

Yours should be fine. Try not to worry - Easier said than done I know.

Good Luck for Monday.

By the way, my vet said she won't put Eric out next time he needs his teeth doing. They will gas him slightly to calm him down!!!:shock::shock:

Not sure if that's a normal procedure, but Will have to see.
I guess it's better than putting him under GA

Thanks for your support. I was just wondering, why does this spurring come about? Is it genetic or the diet? What can I do to stop it ever occuring again, as I hear that m bunny will now have to have treatment for rest of her lifetime. Also i hear that outdoor bunnies donty get it as they graze all day. Is this true?
Thanks for all your help, I really appreciate you guys.
xx

Hiya basically if rabbits naturally chew grass etc then that action assists the bottom teeth. I had a rabbit where every 6 weeks I was taking her back to the vets to get her teeth done. I changed her diet by reducing the pellets increasing the hay and greens she now goes for months last time was 6 months so think I have almost got it under control now. Try that and just watch signs for spurs on teeth ie loss of apetite/change behaviour/grinding and loose stools. Hopefully this will help although some rabbits are just born with bad teeth x

Thanks for your support. I was just wondering, why does this spurring come about? Is it genetic or the diet? What can I do to stop it ever occuring again, as I hear that m bunny will now have to have treatment for rest of her lifetime. Also i hear that outdoor bunnies donty get it as they graze all day. Is this true?
Thanks for all your help, I really appreciate you guys.
xx
It can be genetic but a good diet will help keep tooth spurs at bay.

If you make sure she eats tons of hay, the grinding action needed to eat the hay stops the spurs forming. So don't think you're being cruel when you minimise the pellets, you'll be doing her a favour.

Plus put the hay in the hutch little and often - there's something about fresh smelling new hay to a bun that makes them want to nibble it (bit like fresh bread to us :lol: ).

As for the treatment for the rest of her life - this depends. My Totti bun (coming up to 7 years old) is prone to spurs on his back teeth and needs a dental approximately once a year.

Hi
thank you for all your help. She has gone into vets today for her dental.I was such a sap this morning, I was crying with worry that she may have bad reactions to the GA.:oops:
Im hoping all the problems will get fixed and then start her on a hay diet. However, my bunny is not a hay eater. She eats it, but only the best bits she likes at the time.I dont want to be cruel, that when i reduce her nuggets and then she does not eat a lot of hay that she goes hungry?!?!!

my rabbits get 1 shot glass of pellets per rabbit to eat and have hay and fresh grass adn sticks available all day and night to munch. they have a high fibre pellet as this can make a difference over 16% is good really. also they have leaves and dark greens in the evening to give them variety if your rabbit only likes some bits of the hay could you cut her some fresh grass or try a sample pack from the hay experts i know my bunnys are fussy they only eat the hay from local pet shop@(comes direct from a farm) so it might be you havent foudn the right hay yet also little and often of hay by that i mean put a small handful in and keep topping it up during the day as that way its fresher so tastier you can also buy hay cakes hay tunnels etc with encourages them to gnaw and eat more fiber !xx

YAY! PHEW! Our first GA at the vets has gone well and to procedure. She is fine! OH is picking her up now, I wont get to see her til after work! :oops:
Just bought also the taster selelction of hay at the hay experts. Hopeuflly this will perk up her interest in hay!

She may feel more able to eat hay if her mouth feels more comfortable.
My bunnies just love farm/horsey hay in bales, the more stalky it is the more they love it.
Someone just posted about hay cakes too on here, I think they would help from a dietary point of view, I dont know if they would have the same effect as usual hay on the teeth too?
Bunnies are little piggies and they will eat pellets over hay if they are always available. All my buns have some pellets in the morning which they eat usually within an hour sometimes less (minutes!! :lol:) for the rest of the day they eat hay and then have veggies for tea along with more hay for overnight. I think most people here have a kind of variation along those lines.
Obviously if your bun is having too much pellets you will need to cut down gradually else she will get a bit of a shock!
How much pellets do you give her a day?
I hope she recovers well from the GA and wont need dentals too often x x

I give her 20-25 grams of pets at home junior/dwarf nugget brand. As thats what it states on the bag. The dental was quite expensive, was £80. I was expecting approximately that amount, but I must admit, that was the top range of the price scale i expected!

I give her 20-25 grams of pets at home junior/dwarf nugget brand. As thats what it states on the bag. The dental was quite expensive, was £80. I was expecting approximately that amount, but I must admit, that was the top range of the price scale i expected!

Hmmm that doesnt seem to much at all :? I hope she likes a hay in her taster pack. Mine like the Herbal Excel Forage is it? Or is it Excel herbage? :oops: :roll: I cant remember!

Hmmm that doesnt seem to much at all :? I hope she likes a hay in her taster pack. Mine like the Herbal Excel Forage is it? Or is it Excel herbage? :oops: :roll: I cant remember!

She has Timothy Hay AND the Excel super forage! She is not that interested in either! Hoping her appetitite will change, if she finds it easier to eat after her dental.
Bunny is now at home, she has full access of the house. When OH let her out, she quickly sauntered back into her cage and has stayed there. This is unusual for her, as she loves to be out and about, rather than in her cage. Will keep an eye on her though. May be groggy from GA. Got a check up appointment on christmas eve morn......merry christmas bunny!:oops:

She'll still be a bit groggy from the anaesthetic so I wouldn't worry too much. give her pellets today and tomorrow then start on the strict hay regime after that. It feels cruel when they look at you with those big pleading eyes but it's for their own good :)

Back