• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

EWWWWWWWWWWWWW, I'm sure I saw a flea!

Lauralou

Warren Veteran
On Carlton's head! I'm certain of it. He has a little crusty area on the top of his head between the ears. It's a vets visit, isn't it? :?

If this came from Arnie I'm charging my mother!!

:lol: try a flea comb, have soapy water ready to dunk it in in case you catch one. You can buy drop on flea treatments over the counter just make sure its suitable for rabbits, I forget which brand is but someone will know. Treating the dog is a good idea too if thats where you think they came from ;)

I gave him the once over with a flea comb and I couldn't see the darn thing. Doesn't help that he's black and has new hair coming through so even his skin is dark, ugh!

I got some serious foot flicks afterwards! :lol:

:lol: It might just have been the one but they can multiply quickly. I'd either treat him anyway or check him a few times a day and treat if you find one. Might be worth getting a pack ready or they are bound to turn up at Christmas when the shops are closed.

:lol: It might just have been the one but they can multiply quickly. I'd either treat him anyway or check him a few times a day and treat if you find one. Might be worth getting a pack ready or they are bound to turn up at Christmas when the shops are closed.

That's so true!

I'm sure he just scowled at me for calling him "leper bunny" :lol:

Laura.....just in case it was a flea get some house treatment and do the house........vacuum everywhere.........wash bedding in over 60 degrees. Where fleas are concerned, it's better safe than sorry!! The little buggars shed eggs and before you know it, you're infested!!

Carlton the flea bag lol ;)

ewwwwwwwwwwwwwww Carlton :shock::shock::shock:

i treat ralph for fleas because he goes to my moms house and cats always seem to have fleas, she has 2.. its a good chance youve bought a present back from your moms :shock:

pooor little flea just looking for a home for xmas :lol::lol::lol::lol::lol:

The best treatment for fleas is Advantage but unfortunately this is prescription only so if carlton hasn't been seen by the vet in the past few months he may need an appointment.

Laura.....just in case it was a flea get some house treatment and do the house........vacuum everywhere.........wash bedding in over 60 degrees. Where fleas are concerned, it's better safe than sorry!! The little buggars shed eggs and before you know it, you're infested!!

Carlton the flea bag lol ;)

I started all that as soon as I got up, bleurgh! Luckily this place is all laminate so there's no worry of carpet beasties.

Fleas make me feel so sick, ugly little things!

I've checked him over today and can't see anything but I'm taking no chances!

Fleas are very good at hiding in the cracks of laminate flooring by the skirting boards, so I would treat the house too just incase!

I use stronghold for the bunnies, but it's prescription only! (it's only licensed for cats and dogs).

I'm nuking everywhere! Dyson have a superb upholstery attatchment for sofas and things, I've just been going wild! :lol:

Of course fat bum is flopped out, fast asleep while I panic! :lol:

T'sk, little flea bag :lol:

I wouldn't take any chances either if I were you, ick, ick, ick! :lol::lol::lol:

Have a look through the fur, if you can see little black dots that look like dirt, that is flea poo :mrgreen: and if you wet a cotton wool ball and rub it on there, if its orange, its def flea poo :mrgreen:

Have fun :wave: :wave: :lol:

I thought fleas were species specific? So dog fleas won't live on rabbits, cats etc and vice versa? Though fleas may hop off one creature, sit on there for a while before moving on, so if you've just seen the one it might've been a stray catcihng a lift.
Ivermectin is what you use for little unwanted visitors in other small furries, like rats, mice and guinea pigs etc. and Beaphar do one you can buy in petshops for buns, not the Bob Martins one as that uses permethrins which bugs have got quite resistant to now.
Ivermectin supposedly stays in the body for 30 days (in rats anyway) so other than treating your carpet to stop any stray fleas jumping on and irritating him (or you!) you shouldn't really need to keep up a strict regime as any fleas that hop back on him should get a dose of the Ivermectin still, it'll last longer than their lifecycle.
What you can do is try rubbing a white bit of tissue on him, if dark red/browny bits come off there's a good chance he has fleas (cause you'll have rubbed off flea poo :lol:)

I thought fleas were species specific? So dog fleas won't live on rabbits, cats etc and vice versa? Though fleas may hop off one creature, sit on there for a while before moving on, so if you've just seen the one it might've been a stray catcihng a lift.
Ivermectin is what you use for little unwanted visitors in other small furries, like rats, mice and guinea pigs etc. and Beaphar do one you can buy in petshops for buns, not the Bob Martins one as that uses permethrins which bugs have got quite resistant to now.
Ivermectin supposedly stays in the body for 30 days (in rats anyway) so other than treating your carpet to stop any stray fleas jumping on and irritating him (or you!) you shouldn't really need to keep up a strict regime as any fleas that hop back on him should get a dose of the Ivermectin still, it'll last longer than their lifecycle.
What you can do is try rubbing a white bit of tissue on him, if dark red/browny bits come off there's a good chance he has fleas (cause you'll have rubbed off flea poo :lol:)

Nope, cats fleas arent fussy and will live on anything fury including rabbits and dogs!! dog fleas are quite fussy though so its rare to find a dog flea on a rabbit/cat! :)

I'm nuking everywhere! Dyson have a superb upholstery attatchment for sofas and things, I've just been going wild! :lol:

Of course fat bum is flopped out, fast asleep while I panic! :lol:

Make sure you spray inside the dyson and up the tubes and stuff!

My mucky pup has had them and it was a right ****** to get rid of them! I also got Advantage from the vets! About £17 for 4 doses - you're meant to do it again a month later as well.

Back