• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

Vet suggested Yearly Vaccinations?

Sparkle x

Wise Old Thumper
Last time we was at the Vets (recently changed) we spoke about Vacs as alot are due in January.

They suggested yearly Vacs instead of 6monthly of Myxi, as there hasnt been any outbreaks or cases here, reported ones anyways. We recently moved here around 4months ago.

What do you think? I always thought 6monthly? Surely they cant refuse?

im in a low risk area and my vet always says see you in a year.... i still book an appointment every six months :lol::lol:

my vet also says a year but mine are house rabbits. I do do it yearly but start it in mid march to try and get maximum coverage over the summer.

im in a low risk area and my vet always says see you in a year.... i still book an appointment every six months :lol::lol:

Yeah they said we are low risk :?
Hmm, doesnt help that the OH heard this...

Does the Vaccine ware off after 6months?
Whens the peak times for Myxi is it July-Aug?

my vet also says a year but mine are house rabbits. I do do it yearly but start it in mid march to try and get maximum coverage over the summer.

I have house buns and outside...I always thought 6monthly, but...

I have about 10 due in new year Myxi and some VHD...

What would you do? Get them done and then proceed every 6months?

my vet said the best time to get them done is March so that the best reistance is built up for the summer months... i personally have read its effective for 6 months so vets advice or not im not willing to take the risk (and with pearl the adoption form said 6 monthly too and i signed my agreement)

my vet said the best time to get them done is March so that the best reistance is built up for the summer months... i personally have read its effective for 6 months so vets advice or not im not willing to take the risk (and with pearl the adoption form said 6 monthly too and i signed my agreement)

Ah right.
Brillant thanks.
My forms state 6monthly in high risk areas.

Gosh i dont know.
Im thinking 6monthly to be safe.
:)

I must admit I used to do my yearly when we only had 3 as that was our vets advice at the time. Now though they recommend 6 mthly & even though ours are all inside for winter, we still have em done - it would be my luck that if I didn't we'd end up with a myxi outbreak :cry:

Do you think your vet would give you a discount now you've got so many buns? Ours thankfully give us 20% discount which helps us a great deal - it might be worth asking. If you don't ask you don't get :D

I must admit I used to do my yearly when we only had 3 as that was our vets advice at the time. Now though they recommend 6 mthly & even though ours are all inside for winter, we still have em done - it would be my luck that if I didn't we'd end up with a myxi outbreak :cry:

Do you think your vet would give you a discount now you've got so many buns? Ours thankfully give us 20% discount which helps us a great deal - it might be worth asking. If you don't ask you don't get :D

The old Vets used to give us a discount.

I will ask at the new Vets!

Hows the bond going Denise?

The old Vets used to give us a discount.

I will ask at the new Vets!

Hows the bond going Denise?

You defo need to ask for a discount - you'll be like us I'm sure & be their best customer, so they need to look after you! :D

The bond is going well still thanks - all buns in the 6 seem relatively happy. A bit of chasing now again but nothing agressive or anything - think I'm still in shock :shock::shock::shock:

Also tonight I've tried Benji, Bracken, Ruby & Harry together - currently they're all settled in a pen together upstairs & touch wood seem to be ok.

Next step bond both groups into a group of 10 maybe???? Ok maybe not, that would push me over the edge :lol::lol::lol:

You defo need to ask for a discount - you'll be like us I'm sure & be their best customer, so they need to look after you! :D

The bond is going well still thanks - all buns in the 6 seem relatively happy. A bit of chasing now again but nothing agressive or anything - think I'm still in shock :shock::shock::shock:

Also tonight I've tried Benji, Bracken, Ruby & Harry together - currently they're all settled in a pen together upstairs & touch wood seem to be ok.

Next step bond both groups into a group of 10 maybe???? Ok maybe not, that would push me over the edge :lol::lol::lol:

Brillant News!!!

I moved the newly bonded foursome to the Playhouse all is okay!

They sit as a group but eat in pairs!

Lopsy and Bo, Amstel and Cotton, which is fair enough.

So please, the house is quiet without Amstel lol

I'd love to bond ALL mine together!!

Brillant News!!!

I moved the newly bonded foursome to the Playhouse all is okay!

They sit as a group but eat in pairs!

Lopsy and Bo, Amstel and Cotton, which is fair enough.

So please, the house is quiet without Amstel lol

I'd love to bond ALL mine together!!

That's brilliant news - I saw your post earlier about Amstel digging in the hay, bless he must be in his element!!! :D New friends, a new home & everything a bunny needs :D

Can't see me getting much sleep tonight though - bet it won't be too long before all bunnies start charging round in the loft! :lol::lol: Oh well it'll be worth it :D

My vet said yearly as he's indoor and we're in a low risk area. I'd rather have it every 6 months but while it's just him I think mam would prefer to just do it yearly while we've just got him

That's brilliant news - I saw your post earlier about Amstel digging in the hay, bless he must be in his element!!! :D New friends, a new home & everything a bunny needs :D

Can't see me getting much sleep tonight though - bet it won't be too long before all bunnies start charging round in the loft! :lol::lol: Oh well it'll be worth it :D

Hahah i know how you feel!

Ooo it was so funny when he was digging. Could see him looking at me asif to say Ah HA i can do it!!!

Hiya i would say your high risk as you have a dog and cat that could easy bring fleas back from a walk, i learnt the hard way:(

We now have ours done every 6 months. When we did do it yearly we had them vaccinated in May as they need the best cover around Setember time.

To be honest even though vacs cost £1000 every year we think it still works out cheaper to vaccinate 6 monthly than to risk our buns getting myxi and having to pay out for treatment for them. Even having a bun PTS costs more than a vaccination, so we feel it is cost effective to get it done every 6 months :)

Anybody else's vaccinations gone up in price recently? I had 5 buns myxi jabs done yesterday and was charged just over £15 each....used to be about £12. :(

Anybody else's vaccinations gone up in price recently? I had 5 buns myxi jabs done yesterday and was charged just over £15 each....used to be about £12. :(

Yup - my normal vet charges £15, so I use a different one for jabs

I was having mine done 6 monthly at one point, but now I get everyone done April/early May cos that's when they will be outside more:D Mainly cos of cost:oops:

Both my vets surgeries now recommend twice yearly and book them in as such on the computers.

There is a myxi outbreak in the wild population around here at the moment I was informed by a farmhand earlier this week....so I wouldn't rely on the seasons to tell you when they are at risk.

Last edited:
Back