• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

Very hard to say no to unwanted rabbits.

MissMinnie

Mama Doe
I am really upset now! My sister in law just texted me because she knows someone who wants to get rid of their rabbit. I hate being asked because I have got two pairs (all RSCPA) and I can comfortably afford these and don't want anymore. I am gutted now. People don't realise how upsetting it is to be asked and not be able to help. I really don't know how rescues cope. I am scared to tell anyone about my rabbits because they just think you are a soft touch for any unwanted rabbits (and there are so many). I am so upset now because I have deleted the text and won't even be able to ask any questions. Week before Christmas and unwanted. Going to ask my husband to have a word with her and not ask me in future.

Last edited:
Thats why we can be accused of not caring, as we have to develop a shell to stop us being upset by every animal we can't take in when asked. there is no easy way, you just more used to being able to say no over time.

I sympathise with that. A work colleague has recently had a baby and has asked me to take her 2 "temporarily until her son is a bit older" (yeah, right). I can't take them on temporarily - once i got attached, they would have to stay, and also I have enough already. It's soooo hard. I think she will hang onto them though. She seemed to be saying that she wanted them to be homed where they would have more human contact, which is why she asked me... but it's hard to say no.
You have to be fair to yourself as well as the bunnies... and if you haven't got room for any more, perhaps it's not fair to say yes. Good luck with this.
Bobbin

It's dreadful....people ask just as though they are getting rid of a piece of furniture or junk!!! I know that you can jeopodise the care of your own animals if you take on too many but I still feel guilty.

Yeah, but because they have no feelings for them thats why there is no guilt on their part, only on yours. I also say to myself I cannot be responsible for other peopes screw ups, I can only do my best.

I know how you feel.

I've had a few people contact me regarding unwanted buns, there still here :roll:

May have to change my number :shock:

Thanks for the replies. What I am angry at is that people ask you because they know that you love rabbits, but what they fail to realise is how much it plays on your mind and upsets you! They are quite ignorant of your feeling! You really feel obliged and its hard to say no because you want all animals to be loved like your own are.

Thanks for the replies. What I am angry at is that people ask you because they know that you love rabbits, but what they fail to realise is how much it plays on your mind and upsets you! They are quite ignorant of your feeling! You really feel obliged and its hard to say no because you want all animals to be loved like your own are.

I know, they sort of use you as they know how much you love your buns x

Yes they do and I am angry!!! They think that one more is no trouble but it is expensive to look after them properly. Also you never really know what you are taking on. My poor friend rescue two males who turned out to be male and female, but the damage was done. Why do rabbits get such a raw deal? Its so unfair.

Yes they do and I am angry!!! They think that one more is no trouble but it is expensive to look after them properly. Also you never really know what you are taking on. My poor friend rescue two males who turned out to be male and female, but the damage was done. Why do rabbits get such a raw deal? Its so unfair.

Sadly it happens.
Least there in a better place now though.

Could you not take the bun on and rehome him/her or seek help from a rescue :)

I would get attached the minute I saw it and rescues are just so snowed under. Its all so sad. Once you start taking them in where does it stop?

I got put in a similar position. A school friend of my daughter asked us to take her 2 rabbits - 1 male and 1 heavily pregnant female. I was going to get them, but was advised on here not to move the doe. They weren't being looked after by the 14yr old :evil: Our local rescue was full but I managed to arrange to have the male here for a few days until they had space. Now I'm going to theirs every day, to feed and clean the doe and kitts. The lazy little :censored: can't even feed them for 1 day. Hopefully they're going to the rescue on Monday.
I'm starting to feel like they're "extracting the urine" - they asked if I wanted their budgie the other day (I've got 4 cockatiels) :evil:

Very sad. I am devoted to my pets. Why are people so thoughtless? Are rabbits not worthy of being looked after properly?

I got put in a similar position. A school friend of my daughter asked us to take her 2 rabbits - 1 male and 1 heavily pregnant female. I was going to get them, but was advised on here not to move the doe. They weren't being looked after by the 14yr old :evil: Our local rescue was full but I managed to arrange to have the male here for a few days until they had space. Now I'm going to theirs every day, to feed and clean the doe and kitts. The lazy little :censored: can't even feed them for 1 day. Hopefully they're going to the rescue on Monday.
I'm starting to feel like they're "extracting the urine" - they asked if I wanted their budgie the other day (I've got 4 cockatiels) :evil:

Oh dear. Wise move not moving her though.
Good luck.

Oh dear. Wise move not moving her though.
Good luck.

They're 4 wks on Sunday! There's 3 - I'm not experienced enough to sex them though. They're doing great and I've been handling them so they're quite confident - of course the girl's interested (slightly) in them now :evil: She ain't keeping them though - her Mum's already signed the paperwork for them to go into rescue :D

They're 4 wks on Sunday! There's 3 - I'm not experienced enough to sex them though. They're doing great and I've been handling them so they're quite confident - of course the girl's interested (slightly) in them now :evil: She ain't keeping them though - her Mum's already signed the paperwork for them to go into rescue :D

Wise move on getting the paperwork signed.
Mum and babies going to the rescue? And the male?

Wise move on getting the paperwork signed.
Mum and babies going to the rescue? And the male?

The male's already at the rescue and been neutered. Mum and all 3 babies are hopefully going on Monday - the rescue woman is going to see them on Monday again. She's taking the hutches too :D

Back