• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.
  • Please Note - Medical Advice

Please keep in mind that posts on this forum are from members of the public sharing personal opinions. It is not a replacement for qualified medical advice from a veterinarian. Many illnesses share similar symptoms but require different treatments. A medical exam is necessary for an accurate diagnosis, without which appropriate treatment cannot be given.

You should always consult your vet before following any suggestions for medication or treatment you have read about. The wrong treatment could make your rabbit worse or mean your vet is unable to give the correct treatment because of drug interactions. Even non prescription drugs can do harm if given inappropriately.

We are very grateful to members who take time to answer other members questions, but please do be clear in your replies that you are sharing personal experience and not giving instructions on what must be done.

Urgent Medical Advice: If you need, or think you might need, urgent medical advice you should contact a vet. If it is out of working hours phone your vet's normal number and there should be an answer phone message with instructions on what to do.

My bunnies weight

FudgeMallow

Mama Doe
I asked the vet yesterday what weight Fudge was and she is 2.15kg! She is a mini lop, fully grown but quite small (smaller than her mum and dad)

Is this an ok weight for a mini lop?

If shes a "proper" mini lop then thats a little bit heavy. Thats more a dwarf lop size. But if she doesn't look too round then its right for her frame! Its hard to define if a bun is the right weight based on their breed cos they vary so much!

Did the vet comment on if she was the right weight?

The vet said she was fine and not overweight!
She looks fine and isnt round! i can just feel her ribs and spine! She doesnt get fed much and gets lots of excercise!
What do you mean by 'proper' mini lop?

Sorry, I meant as in BRC breed standard Mini Lop - I think they quote the right weight is about 1.6kg for a "pedigree"/ show bunny. Obviously if bun isn't bred for showing etc then they don't always fall in these limits.

I've got two dwarf lops who weigh 2.2kg and 2.6 kg - its just their different breeding that makes them different sizes. My mini lop is just 1.7kg.

As long as their spine isn't too boney then they're ok.

My mini-lop is around 1.6-1.8kg so if she's a true mini-lop she's either tubby or larger than breed standard.

I wouldnt say she was fat or overweight! and she is quite small!
The vet said she was fine and if i wanted i could feed her a little more! (not going to she gets fed enough):D
I bought both parents from my pet shop and was told they are minis but ive never seen a dwarf lop so i couldnt compare!:?
I think i may have dwarf lops as i only have one overweight bun (he has problems) and the rest are.... i would say almost perfect!!:?
Who could you tell the diff between a mini and dwarf lop??

I wouldnt say she was fat or overweight! and she is quite small!
The vet said she was fine and if i wanted i could feed her a little more! (not going to she gets fed enough):D
I bought both parents from my pet shop and was told they are minis but ive never seen a dwarf lop so i couldnt compare!:?
I think i may have dwarf lops as i only have one overweight bun (he has problems) and the rest are.... i would say almost perfect!!:?
Who could you tell the diff between a mini and dwarf lop??

Mainly size. :wave:

Mini Lops have a bit more of a shorter face than a dwarf lop.... with more chubby cheeks! Mine is quite stocky around his shoulders where as the dwarfs are sleeker. Hard to say really without a comparison!

Try looking on the BRC website for pictures but remember they're the supermodels of the bunny world!!! Most buns are a mix of all sorts of genes so its hard to compare.

These are the best pics i have of her

Young fudge
mybabygirlfudgemallow-1.jpg

Young fudge
Picture012.jpg

Lastest pic (taken last night)
P261108_1646.jpg

Sorry bout the big photos!! i dont have one of her standing and she does have a big dewlap but not huge!
I a really good pic of her dad to compare him and i think i have one of her mum!!

I'm not even sure she's a pure-bred lop at all TBH, she's got quite an elongated nose.

Let me see if I can get a picture of Fiver on here.

ETA: This is Fiver and I'm not even sure he is 100% pure mini TBH.
moto_0224.jpg

and Lexie in my signature is a dwarf lop.

Last edited:
Maddie is the brown dwarf lop and Nibbler is the black Mini Lop in this thread sorry not got any photos to hand.

I'd say yours are more Dwarf lops than Minis cos of the long faces like Sooz says. Still cuties though!

Back