• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

pet plan and GI stasis

Deelove

Wise Old Thumper
I used to have Molly and Faline insured and had claimed for Faline for GI stasis. About 6 months ago I cancelled it as I felt it wasn't fair just my two being insured and not all 7.

However now I'm back down to two I want to re insure but I'm wondering whether petplan will let me with Faline and if they'll still cover stasis.

Anyone know the ins and outs of existing conditions, though stasis isn't really a condition is it?

Hi - yes Gi stasis and all related treatment - xray, metaclop, metacam etc is covered x

I used to have Molly and Faline insured and had claimed for Faline for GI stasis. About 6 months ago I cancelled it as I felt it wasn't fair just my two being insured and not all 7.

However now I'm back down to two I want to re insure but I'm wondering whether petplan will let me with Faline and if they'll still cover stasis.

Anyone know the ins and outs of existing conditions, though stasis isn't really a condition is it?

Hi - yes Gi stasis and all related treatment - xray, metaclop, metacam etc is covered x

Do you know if it's still covered if you've claimed for it before, or is it then classed as an existing illness. Claimed for £130 for her for it previously.

So far as I am aware Petplan don't load you against reccurent illnesses while under cover - not sure what happens if cover is broken. They ask if bun has ever had treatment for illness etc - so guess the preminum may be a little higher - I pay about £9 a month for each of my buns x

Do you know if it's still covered if you've claimed for it before, or is it then classed as an existing illness. Claimed for £130 for her for it previously.

PS my excess is £50 per bun - but well worth it as I recently had a claim for two buns fighting that came in at just over £560 :shock::shock:

i think youll have to phone them to be sure.. even tho my vet said they have no idea what causes stasis at any one time, being an insurance company i reakon they would prob not cover for it even if the cause of the possible next stasis would be different :roll::evil:

Im sure because hes had it, and you cancelled the insurnce, you'd fall under the new rule... and if they have had something they won't cover that.
if that makes any sense x

Petplan can be a bit funny about existing conditions, although as you say GI stasis isn't really a recurring condition is it. Petplan have put exclusions on one of my rabbits insurance as he already had dental disease when I got him I did try and claim but they refused to pay out and then slapped on the exclusions. I was thinking of cancelling his policy but decided not too in case I need to claim if he gets any other illness. I would certainly check with them before re-insuring.

I insured Katy with Petplan 2 months ago (Homey was too old - 5 :roll:) and I told them about the blockage she had last Christmas Day. They told me she would not be covered for anything GI related for 12 months and if she hadn't suffered another occurance the vet just contacts them and she will then be covered.

Back