• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

"Tonight with Trevor" want to know HAVE YOU GOT BRITAINS MOST EXPENSIVE RABBIT????

"Tonight with Trevor" want to know HAVE YOU GOT BRITAINS MOST EXPENSIVE RABBIT????

I am a researcher working for ITV's "Tonight" programme - we are doing an investigation into the true cost of owning a pet throughout it's lifetime (the RSPCA want to create awareness in order to prevent people abandoning their pets)

We are also looking at how vets fees can vary greatly across the country - ie: it's a postcode lottery.

HAVE YOU GOT BRITAINS MOST EXPENSIVE RABBIT???? HAVE YOU SPENT THOUSANDS ON YOUR BUN IN VETS BILLS?

We want to know how much your bunny has cost you so far in it's lifetime - please feel free to start posting here or email me at harriet.gill@itv.com or call 0161 9521003.

Also to see how much vets prices vary can you post how much teeth trimming and VHD/Myxomatosis cost you at your Vet eg:

Vet Location: Worsley
Teeth Trimming: £50

Ive had my two Continential Giants since July and they have cost me over £1000.00 (so far). Their accomodation is a huge dog kennel and run convert, which was about £400.00. Both have been Vaccinated against Mixi & VHD which cost £25.00 each bun for both jabs, as part of a special offer. One had ear mites which cost over £100.00 for consultation and treatment. It costs me around £50.00 a month on food, and £20.00 a month on straw & hay. Location: Essex

Vet 1: (S11 postcode)
Molar burring with GA £60-£120
Incisor burring without GA £15
Myxi Jab £30
VHD Jab £30

Vet 2: (S10 postcode)
Molar burring with GA £90
Incisor Burring without GA -
Myxi Jab £15
VHD Jab £15

There is no way I am going to work out how much I have spent on my bunnies in the time I have been keeping them. I don't need heart failure this close to Christmas. :lol::lol::lol:

It's not unusual for documentary researchers to post on forums. The C4 Cutting Edge producer for 'Special Needs Pets' emailed me and posted on my forum. :)

Just sometimes when you read things you think what on earth??!! I'm a bit wary of most things like this.

Just sometimes when you read things you think what on earth??!! I'm a bit wary of most things like this.

At the end of the day, if it's a troll does it matter?

I think the chance to possibly help educate the British public on the most widely viewed media is worth the risk of it being a joke. :)

Give them a ring if they answer the phone with a hello you no there fake, if they say something with hello this is itv then there real :lol:

I'm hoping its not a troll I'm hoping its real. Would love people to see how rabbits should be cared for how much they may cost. And also where most of the sold in petshops buns come from too.

I've just googled her, if she is a troll she is seriously good at it because her name is all over the place 'missing fathers' 'i love saffron walden' etc. She is also in 'Linked In' a professional website. I'm guessing this is for real so if you're interested go for it. I might be if I lived in England. Poxy rabbits ;)

225€ new hutch
150€ new flooring
120€ sundry toys, loos and cleaning equipment
20€ travelling case
50€ a month in food bills (including hay for bedding, digging in)
20€ a month in toiletting (cotton bedding etc)
15€ per jab (4 a year between them)
130€ to have Huppie speyed
60€ to sort out Rambaldi's sore hocks (so far...)
40€ IKEA mattresses to help said sore hocks get better!

I have had Huppie 6 months and Rambaldi 3 - defo not animals for people who don't want to spend money!

Emma

Hiya,
The poster contacted me prior to posting :) If everyone could share their information on vets cost that would be great, perhaps highlighting the true costs of pet ownership will encourage people to think more before getting a pet.

Thanks!
Tamsin

TW1 postcode for vets
£22 myxi jab
£18 VHD jab

Hind leg amputation for my poorly bunny was nearly £200, in total i have spent over £700 on him with all his ops and treatment in the first 6 months of having him :shock:

Hiya,
The poster contacted me prior to posting :) If everyone could share their information on vets cost that would be great, perhaps highlighting the true costs of pet ownership will encourage people to think more before getting a pet.

Thanks!
Tamsin

Thanks for letting us know Tamsin:):):)

BD4 Postcode, cost of 2 bunnies:

Xrays, GA and Blood tests for excessive drinking/weeing in August + meds to treat:
£320

Regular dental burrs for 6 months, £8 a time x 8 = £64

Incisor Removal: £200

Neutering and full dental: £80

Housing(indoor): £40

Bedding £3 a week x 52 = £156

Food (pellets and greens) approx £100 a Year

Hay approx £60 a year

Insurance = £204 a year

Vaccs = £50

Nail Trimming = £30 a year.

Total: £1304

That's very scary!!!!!

BN9 postcode
Myxi jab £17.00

£130 accommodation x7 :shock:

£220 when Monty broke his back was xrayed, kept at emergency vet then PTS :cry:

£25.00 consult and teeth trim every 6 weeks for Smartie

£89.00 each time Bagel suffers with his tummy problems

£80.00 last time Lola was poorly

£50.00 for Flossy's last EC treatment and £20 every 3 months prior to that for Lapizole.

:shock::shock::shock:

Sorrel's molar burring - about £80 in leeds and similar in banbury

plus about £8 for antibiotics every few weeks and £17 for a jar of honey to disinfect her abcess. That is of course in addition to the usual food, housing, toys, vaccs, houseproofing etc.

She used to need her teeth burring every two months:shock::shock: but it's down to 3-4 months now.

Could you phone a rescue and see if they could give you records of vet costs to their rescued buns? they often take in buns who are already poorly, and it would be a useful bit of publicity for a good cause too. ;)

Last edited:
Well I have receipts that I can look at properly but roughly I have had buns year and half and spent about £3-4, 000 each on them just vet bills!
Not to mention food I mean cost of living keeps going up so now we spend about £3.00 per day just on greens and thats for 2 no wonder rescues can't manage.

Thanks very much for all this - keep it coming! I can assure you this is a real programme and will be airing early in the new year - so we need some bunnies to feature with owners who can confirm that keeping one is not cheap. Being a house rabbit owner myself i can empathise with this as my two year old dwarf lop -"Pumpkin" - cost us £200 last week in vets bills when she got bloat...

keep it coming!

can anyone beat the rabbit that has had a £1000 brain operation?

i have one house rabbit and 2 guinea pigs im about 30 quid a month on food hay etc and was 15 quid for myxi jag im up in scotland.... The pet shop diesnt tell u anywhere near enough info when u buy them... Ive spent about 50 quid on toys for honey to keep her entertained and i was 70 on cage for her!

Back