• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

How long on hay alone

Hopper

Mama Doe
How long can a rabbit last on hay and water alone?

Ive been out to see a woman today who is struggling to care for her rabbit, she wanted to know about rescue options. She has admitted to just not having the time and alsokeeps forgetting to buy rabbit food, so has just been feeding hay and giving fresh water dailey. I am going to drop a bag of rabbit food off in a bit ive bought her and a cover ive managed to get as the hutch isnt covered at all. The rabbit itsself looks fine, she doesnt know if its a boy or a girl. Im just concerned with regards to the health side of only eating hay?

I will make the hutch more appropiate for weather and give the food. Ive left her my number and told her to think about things for the next day or 2 and let me know if she wants me to take the bunny or not. If I dont hear anything by friday i will go around again.

Rabbits can live fine on hay (and probably healthier too). Pellets are like supplements, just give them a bit of vitamins and minerals and a bit more protein and fats. But rabbits can live perfectly fine on a hay-only diet (preferably not a youngster though).

Rabbits can live fine on hay (and probably healthier too). Pellets are like supplements, just give them a bit of vitamins and minerals and a bit more protein and fats. But rabbits can live perfectly fine on a hay-only diet (preferably not a youngster though).

Yup - as long as they have no health problems:D

Even with no fresh veg??

Ohh so im worrying over nothing then? :oops: I went and put cover on hutch and a bowl of food in with extra bedding as she was only putting hay in for eating. I stuffed loads in the sleeping compartment. Told her I will phone her tomorrow anyway. The bunny only looks young, unless its a small one, has lopped ears. he said she hasnt had it long but couldnt actualy say how long at all, the hutch looks relativly new so im thinking maybe a few months. perhaps late summer early autumm?

I think they can as they'd only really eat grass and a few plants in the wild, i wouldn't do it with my buns as i think it'd be soooo boring.

No I wouldnt, infact id be concerned they wasnt getting enough, well thats what i thought anyway. I knew hay was main part of diet but thought also the pellets was a must.

Back