• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

Dealing with that rabbit 'smell'.

Sooz

Wise Old Thumper
Since it's been brought to my attention that the rabbit room is a bit, erm, stinky, I'm a little paranoid about the smell.

A lot of my wedding stuff is stored in the room including my dress in a breathable garment bag and I am worried that the scent will start to seep into the fabric. There isn't anywhere else safe to keep it due to the cats (they are not allowed in the rabbit room, we keep te door shut which probably dosn't help with the smell).

The buns are cleaned out every other day and use a litter tray which is done daily, they are bedded on towels and fleece which is changed weekly.

What else can I do?

What do you use for litter?
I used carefresh and switched to megazorb and it absorbs the smell great!
I never smell anything in my room anymore!:D

I honestly dont know other than ensure the room is ventilated to get some fresh air in.

How many rabbits are in there?

Two poorly ones in a dog crate.

I use cat wood pellets for the litter tray and the funny thing is, the litter tray dosn't really smell that much :?.

I normally have the window slightly open but as we have no heating that isn't an option at the moment, the cold is aggravating Lexie's pasteurella as it is. I'm wondering about burning some lightly scented candles or something?

The Tap-A-Drop Odour Remover

Tap-O-drop Odour remover

Nilodor Tap-A-Drop in the UK and Continental Europe. Used as a room freshener, one drop tapped on a tissue, placed out of reach of pets and away from the cage, neutralises odours for up to 24 hours. You can also add one drop to the cleaning water, it has proven especially good for cleaning wooden accessories that can soak up urine. This product doesn't mask odours, it neutralises them. It is safe to use around pets. Nilodor can also be used to neutralise odours around the house or in the car, such as cooking, paint and smoke smells. One drop goes a long way!

Available in minty fresh Spring Mint or mild floral Red Clover Tea and now in Baby Powder fragrance.

Could be worth a try

The Tap-A-Drop Odour Remover

Tap-O-drop Odour remover

Nilodor Tap-A-Drop in the UK and Continental Europe. Used as a room freshener, one drop tapped on a tissue, placed out of reach of pets and away from the cage, neutralises odours for up to 24 hours. You can also add one drop to the cleaning water, it has proven especially good for cleaning wooden accessories that can soak up urine. This product doesn't mask odours, it neutralises them. It is safe to use around pets. Nilodor can also be used to neutralise odours around the house or in the car, such as cooking, paint and smoke smells. One drop goes a long way!

Available in minty fresh Spring Mint or mild floral Red Clover Tea and now in Baby Powder fragrance.

Could be worth a try

Sounds good Jill, any idea where I can buy it from? :)

It's possibly the carpets absorbing the smell. My bun room has got 6 buns living in there and is only cleaned out twice a week (3 times max), but it doesn't smell (as far as I know!) because I've got lino down on the floor which is easily wiped clean

I have one bun in the lounge, and I don't notice any smell. Mind you, if the kids have unplugged my plug-in air freshener thingy to charge their DS or Mobile etc, I notice the smell straight away.

I keep a Glade plug-in wotsit on the lowest setting on the other side of the room.

Of course, there is the ratty smell solution - keep a shallow open dish of bicarb near the source of the smell - it absorbs the smell. Just give it a little shake to reactivate it when it stops working. That keeps ALL smells from our very smelly old ratty at bay! HTH :wave:

It's possibly the carpets absorbing the smell. My bun room has got 6 buns living in there and is only cleaned out twice a week (3 times max), but it doesn't smell (as far as I know!) because I've got lino down on the floor which is easily wiped clean

I've been using neutradol on the carpet weekly too, I wonder whether borrowing a steam cleaner might do some good?

I would lay lino if I could (would make cleaning much easier) but unfortunatley it's not an option for the time being.

I can't open the window until we have some heating again :(

Do you just put the bicarb powder in a tray and leave it or do you have to do anything else with it?

Could I also sprinkle it onto the carpet, leave it a couple of hours and hoover it up to get the odours out?

I've just bought some "1001 No Vac Carpet Freshener" - thats supposed to neutralise the odours (rather than mask them) - but i'd say giving the carpet a clean is a good idea anyway, then use something like shake-n-vac to keep it fresh? Neutradol stuff is good as its not scented. I've got a few of their gel thingies too which absord the smells.

Hope your wedding dress will be ok too!!

tap o drop is great.
i used to use it when i had my ratties, it lasted for ages but has not long run out now :(
i got mine from rat warehouse its great stuff.

try antibac febreeze on your carpets at night or when the buns are not in that room,and the good old airfresheners,
i didnt notice any smells when i was last at yours:)

I can't open the window until we have some heating again :(

Do you just put the bicarb powder in a tray and leave it or do you have to do anything else with it?

Could I also sprinkle it onto the carpet, leave it a couple of hours and hoover it up to get the odours out?

either of those will do...it just soaks in the smell from whatever is around it...air, carpet etc. I've not actually tried it myself :oops: but it's quite widely recommended.

Bicarb works brilliantly on carpet. I wouldn't use anything like shake n vac as it's not good round pets. All the chemicals in air fresheners can't be good for a sick bunny anyway.

You could also get one of these http://www.jmldirect.com/Fresh-Air-Globe-PF2550/. They make the air lovely and fresh with just water (you don't have to use the essences they sell) but they are about £40. Buy a few air fresheners/neutralizers and it will pay for itself in a few months.

my advice is a steam cleaner...this is one like my old one and as powerful as my new one which is over £60 but i got for £50 a few years back..had i seen the one in the book id have got that one..i lvoed my old one it was brill and a doddle to use....

heres the yellow one..and oyu have 3 months interest free to pay it off;)

http://www.fashionworld.co.uk/productcache/FW/BO7058/GK139HX.html.gz

hmm have you thought about an electric heater to help them with warmth with their condition? a small convector one or a panel one near their cage.crate?

we had one of these when bif and oscar were in a dog crate as the floor is freezing even with the heating on!!

this is what we first had and it was soooo cheap to run!
http://www.fashionworld.co.uk/productcache/FW/BO7058/AK940HX.html.gz

then we had a bigger one with timer but it got bunnied and the cord was to short for me to adapt..my own fault i left it out turned off to the side of the room and bif didnt like the cord hitting her in the face:oops:

cost a little more to run but has the advantage of the timer..which is a huge help!
http://www.fashionworld.co.uk/productcache/FW/BO7058/GF197HX.html.gz

i think id have bene better off with two of these round the dog crate..not right against the bars but almost....would have bene so useful!
http://www.fashionworld.co.uk/productcache/FW/BO7058/AK939HX.html.gz

i need to steam clean my curtains..too huge to wash by hand or in my washing machine!
also steam clean the furniture..it gets rid of so much pong its unbelievable!! i have a "steam mop" my daughter bought..it saves dragging the big steam cleaner out everyday and it needs some more pads but is excellent and you can top it up as you go along! special glider and pads for carpets..floor setting for tiles etc.you can even steam your beds mattress!!

http://www.pitchwell.com/Shop/pc/viewPrd.asp?idproduct=50

or from here

heres a list of places and prices
http://www.ciao.co.uk/Home_Tek_HT824_Steam_MOP__6653882

it maybe the best choice as it literally takes up the space of a broom!! and you can use it daily or every few days or once a week. very easy to use very very handy. id thoroughly recommend it for speed of use too;)

Back