• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

giant rabbit

kelly1

Warren Scout
Hello everyone,im pretty new to the forum,i have been reading thru the post for a couple of days and think that you lot are so helpfull and kind.

Me and my chap are getting a giant english conti in the new year,could someone tell me what they are like to have as pets.i have kept normal lop rabbits all my life so know abit about rabbits,but i wanted to know about giant rabbits.The woman in the pet shop i was talking to said they are alot more laid back than normal rabbits and will come and lie with u when u watch telly and things like that,and are genrally more laid back,is this right,is there anything else i need to know.Forgot to say that it will be n indoor bun.thanks for any help.

Hello everyone,im pretty new to the forum,i have been reading thru the post for a couple of days and think that you lot are so helpfull and kind.

Me and my chap are getting a giant english conti in the new year,could someone tell me what they are like to have as pets.i have kept normal lop rabbits all my life so know abit about rabbits,but i wanted to know about giant rabbits.The woman in the pet shop i was talking to said they are alot more laid back than normal rabbits and will come and lie with u when u watch telly and things like that,and are genrally more laid back,is this right,is there anything else i need to know.Forgot to say that it will be n indoor bun.thanks for any help.
you might be more interested in taking in a rescue giant.. you will already know teh size it will be fully grown and it wil lcost you a lot less as vaccs adn neuter will be done. they need a lot of space if in the house need to be free raneg with an area they can use as their base. you will need to litter train your rabbit as with any other they tend to live less time than the smaller breeds and can be prone to hock issues but in saying that various breeds are. they become very big and so are very difficult to pick up and this should ideally not be done if posible. how about a french lop? they are large breeds and very affectionate, if from a breeder you need to find out the generations of at least 4 previous to them to ensure against helath issues... a pet shop will not alwasy do this and you may find congenitive problems xx

First of all i would say search nearby rescues for the simple fact, they will have its history as well as it will be neutered and vacs which will save you money.

I have a conti giant who lives in my converted attic, he is a lovely bun, very friendly and yes he does come lay down with you. He does the most amazing binkies and LOVES food and hay! He does live with a girl bun and has slightly changed, as in, not as loving towards me. But least he has her :)

There a great breed, although im pretty sure mine isnt pure, as hes not as big as others.

:wave:

well I'm thinking a bale of hay a week? very minimal pellets as you don't want them putting on weight as their joints and hocks can't take it, but a bundle of hay as big as their body twice a day must surely be a bale a week - not sure but someone on here must know :)

For a litter tray I'd use an underbed storage box too - the larger ones that wilkinsons sell :)

Hiya, gotta agree to the first reply. Not to put a downer on things, but even the best petshop will struggle to keep tabs on the health of a particular 'line' of rabbits from their breeders (if they're one of the decent ones that goes to a private breeder rather than a mass 'supplier'), due to the nature of their business - they sell their rabbits to whoever comes in and seems suitable, and may never hear back on whether the rabbit got ill or died from something that might be inherited.
Although a rescue won't know much about the rabbit's parents or siblings, they may have dealt with other rabbits in the area to get a rough idea of whether there are any particular problems, say with rabbits from a particular petshop. Also, since it's their "job" to deal with looking after rabbits, they tend to know a lot more than most petshop staff, who's job is to sell products above animals (since the animals don't make them much money). They may notice something out of the ordinary with a bun, or get a thorough healthcheck to predict whether the rabbit might be prone to problems like bad teeth or sore hocks. Also, most rabbits in rescues are already spayed/neutered and vaccinated- aside from the fact that you'll save money this way, it means you get to avoid the 'joys' of a hormonal rabbit - the destruction, behavioural issues, smell (unneutered males stink!), etc.
The rescue owner will also have an idea of the rabbits temperament, and will know whether it's suited as an indoor bunny or not - not all bunnies thrive by living indoors. They'll also be able to help you find the nice cuddly, soppy bunny you're after - not all breeds follow their stereotypes, and a naughty giant has the potential to cause a lot of trouble!
Also, you'll be doing a great thing by helping out a homeless animal :D

cheers for the help peeps,we are going go get one from a breeder or rescue center as i feel pet shops dont handle them enough and i want a friendly bun and not one that runs away everytime you try and stroke it,also i would prefer to give a bun a loving home from a rescue centre as i feel i would be helping out by taking one off there hands and giving it home.do giants chew leads and cables like other smaller ones somethimes do?

Any rabbit will chew wires, given chance.
I agree with Elve, oscar and jasmine eat tonnes and tonnes of hay!!

I also use the under bed storage boxes for litter trays! :D

awww shes just melted by heart,what a cutie,think i will get my chap to give them a ring and check it out,is it ok to have a large dog basket for them to sleep in as this is what the pet shop woman said,sorry to ask so many questions but i want to know everything before we get on so i do everythin right.

Mine used to have a large basket, a wicker one, but they kept peeing in it :evil:

But yes thats fine.

Is he/she going to be a housebun? :D

Mine used to have a large basket, a wicker one, but they kept peeing in it :evil:

But yes thats fine.

Is he/she going to be a housebun? :D

Bella had a large wicker basket that she kept peeing in too! it now makes up part of her fort on the balcony!

She has a large dog crate that she uses as her litter tray. it's 'lined' with cardboard as well so it's like a giant box she can play in too!

most rabbit tunnels etc aren't big enough for giants, so Bella has this
DSC00309.jpg

Bella is very laid back, and loves laying on the sofa or on your feet :love:

though bigger bunny means bigger naughtiness!!!

Hiya, and welcome. I have 2 Conti Giants. They both live outside in a convert do kennel and run, which is HUUUGGGE, just like they are. They eat copius amounts of food, and if they decide they are still hungry, i get my trouser legs eatten too. I love my girls to bits. They are very laid back, but beware getting them to the vet is no easy job!

most rabbit tunnels etc aren't big enough for giants, so Bella has this
DSC00309.jpg

Bella is very laid back, and loves laying on the sofa or on your feet :love:

though bigger bunny means bigger naughtiness!!![/QUOTE]

Lola, that set up is fab, where did you buy it. My girls need something like that for xmas im thinking :D

Lola, that set up is fab, where did you buy it. My girls need something like that for xmas im thinking :D

i got it from Woolworths a couple of months ago - it was about £15. but they have things very similar in argos.

http://www.argos.co.uk/static/Product/catalogId/1500001151/partNumber/3667134.htm

http://www.argos.co.uk/static/Product/catalogId/1500001151/partNumber/3672071.htm

http://www.argos.co.uk/static/Produ...|Playhouses+and+activity+centres|10198237.htm

i think i'll be getting some more tunnels ready for outside when summer comes!!

Me and my chap are getting a giant english conti in the new year.

Theres no such breed of rabbit is it a english lop , British Giant or contiental giant?
With giants they can have alot of expensive health problems that and a short life span 4yrs - 5yrs tops, compared to smaller breed i wouldnt recomend you getting one unless you are sure you have the finacial back up for one.
If you do get one diffro get it insured!
look in vets to see how much it is to get neutured!
Health probs you can get
hip displacia
water in thier lungs
spinal probs
ear infections
these are only a few please please research them before getting one from either rescue or breeder (Dont go to a PET SHOP)
my friend is a breeder has 64 contis and is always with the vets!

Please consider very carefully for you dont want to have to take it to a rescue or breeder becoz you cant look after it any more!

i got it from Woolworths a couple of months ago - it was about £15. but they have things very similar in argos.

http://www.argos.co.uk/static/Product/catalogId/1500001151/partNumber/3667134.htm

http://www.argos.co.uk/static/Product/catalogId/1500001151/partNumber/3672071.htm

http://www.argos.co.uk/static/Produ...|Playhouses+and+activity+centres|10198237.htm

i think i'll be getting some more tunnels ready for outside when summer comes!!

Thanks! The first one is fab, and will definatly be making a quick and silent purchase on Saturday, as long as i loose the OH in the shopping centre! LOL.

I have both a conti giant and a french lop :) My conti giant is more like a dog to be honest, he is the most loving bunny ever! I wouldnt change him for the world :love: hes like a baby :oops:

He sleeps in a blastic dog basket with blankets in and uses the bottom of a small indoor g.pig cage as his litter tray. He sleeps on the bottom of our bed every night too!

He does chew wires given half the chance!! Hes cost us a small fortune in laptop chargers :roll: :lol:

I was told they dont live as long as normal bunnies :( The nurse at the vet said to me if i get him to live to 4-5 years i'll be very lucky :(

He does get through probably a majority of a bale of hay a week! And also has a massive bowl of veg every evening, he eats us out of house and home :lol: If he isnt fed enough and if he doesnt have enough pellets he starts on the wallpaper :roll:

Hope your not too house proud :roll: I used to be very house proud before Ronnie arrived, now hes here everything is a tip :lol::roll:

Let us know when you get your bunny :D I also advise getting a rescue bun if its possible :) As for the pet shop buns not being very friendly etc, remember its best not to be picking up/carrying round a giant bunny as it can break their backs :( Ronnie always comes to us to sit on our laps etc, we never carry him round :)

I do think theyre different to normal bunnies but in a good way :) xXx

Back