• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.
  • Please Note - Medical Advice

Please keep in mind that posts on this forum are from members of the public sharing personal opinions. It is not a replacement for qualified medical advice from a veterinarian. Many illnesses share similar symptoms but require different treatments. A medical exam is necessary for an accurate diagnosis, without which appropriate treatment cannot be given.

You should always consult your vet before following any suggestions for medication or treatment you have read about. The wrong treatment could make your rabbit worse or mean your vet is unable to give the correct treatment because of drug interactions. Even non prescription drugs can do harm if given inappropriately.

We are very grateful to members who take time to answer other members questions, but please do be clear in your replies that you are sharing personal experience and not giving instructions on what must be done.

Urgent Medical Advice: If you need, or think you might need, urgent medical advice you should contact a vet. If it is out of working hours phone your vet's normal number and there should be an answer phone message with instructions on what to do.

My bun has a heart murmur

natandfluffs

Alpha Buck
My bun has just been to the vet for his VHD jab. When the vet checked him over he asked me if anyone had ever told me he has a heart murmur. He was seen a couple of weeks ago by my favourite vet for his myxi, who didn't say anything about it then- in fact he was declared a wonderfully healthy 11 year old!

My understanding is that while the incidence of heart disease in rabbits is low, it's pretty common if they're over 10. The vet mentioned a drug that is used in cats and dogs that they can use in rabbits, though its effect in buns isn't really proven. I have no idea what to do... Fluffs has never had to take medicine and I am wary of stressing him out for something that isn't really proven, but on the flip side want to do anything that might help.

It's not affecting his quality of life at the moment. Once he's settled I'll have a look at his breathing.

Has anyone any experience of this? What helped/didn't?

Thanks x

I don't have any experience with buns with heart murmur's but I have one, so does my daughter and the last German Shepherd we had had one as well. It depends on which type of murmur it is and what grade (grade 1 is the least serious) As far as I know, they usually cause no problems but if you are run down or have an anesthetic they (vet/doctor) usually keep a closer eye on you than normal. I don't know if that helped any :D

Thanks... it is helpful. And hopeful.

It wasn't graded so not sure how severe, but the vet said 'significant'. Which could mean anything from moderate to severe I'd guess. :( He says the main thing is not to stress him.

I think maybe I need to ask if there is anything more he can tell me.

I'm also slightly concerned that it wasn't picked up a couple of weeks ago by my brilliant vet, and this assumed there was something wrong with one of my other ones when she didn't leg it at her myxy jab (she reacts by freezing rather than running). I guess what I'm doing is hoping that its not as bad as the vet is making out.

Anyone else got any experience? Should I change anything dramatically? :?

My bunny was diagnosed with a severe heart murmur just a month or so before he died. The vet said it was only a matter of time before he left us and didn't recommend any medication for it as it wouldn't have helped. I think by the sounds of it your bunny's is not as bad
Helen xx

Thanks, this is quite reassuring... reading that link it could have been a false positive, though of course I can't be sure. His breathing rate is normal which from what the vet said should mean it's not too severe.

I'm just watching him dig in his cushion and drag it across the floor... he looks so happy and well, so if he has a heart murmur while it isn't affecting him we'll just carry on as usual I think!

Yep I agree totally. At least I did when I get over the shock/panic mode and started thinking rationally. It's probably unhealthy how much that bun means to me!! :oops:

our dog developed a heart murmour about 2 years ago, ive been told what to look out for in him that could mean its worsened and will need treatment, but so far hes as fit and healthly and bouncy as hes always been... i wouldnt panic yet :D

When I saw a different vet recently, he told me that TJ had a murmur. Then he changed his mind and said he was breathing so hard he mistook it. I just took him back to my own vet to have another listen and she has said he is fine.

As your bun is 11, it hasn't caused him too much problem. Sorry you are worried. `

Back