• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.
  • Please Note - Medical Advice

Please keep in mind that posts on this forum are from members of the public sharing personal opinions. It is not a replacement for qualified medical advice from a veterinarian. Many illnesses share similar symptoms but require different treatments. A medical exam is necessary for an accurate diagnosis, without which appropriate treatment cannot be given.

You should always consult your vet before following any suggestions for medication or treatment you have read about. The wrong treatment could make your rabbit worse or mean your vet is unable to give the correct treatment because of drug interactions. Even non prescription drugs can do harm if given inappropriately.

We are very grateful to members who take time to answer other members questions, but please do be clear in your replies that you are sharing personal experience and not giving instructions on what must be done.

Urgent Medical Advice: If you need, or think you might need, urgent medical advice you should contact a vet. If it is out of working hours phone your vet's normal number and there should be an answer phone message with instructions on what to do.

advice on castration aftercare

Vegan_Bunny

Warren Veteran
hello. Fiver is booked in tomorrow morning for a castration eek!!

I'm really worried over it although i know im probably bein over protective. Can anyone offer any advice on anything i may need afterwards. He has a one level indoor cage with a hammock in it. Should i take down the hammock so he doesn't jump into it?

I'm only experienced in rats being castrated and i know he needs R&R but im not sure for how long.

Also if he can have veg afterwards or if he needs a break from veg o_O

r&r for few days. mine got done last yr and he lives outside so i brought him in for 2days but he was his usual self the next day. i was told to feed him -which i did but only half the amount.of veg. o and kept an eye that he had gone to toilet. plus the usual after care of keeping check on wound. hope this helps

hi

firstly dont worry!! Its a simple op and the vet nurses will be keeping an eye on him after the op.

He will prob come home after 4pm to start with. I would remove the hammock for a week until wound heals properly and cant split. what do you use in his toilet? If its shavings or megasorb i was rec not to use it in case it sticks. I used puppy training pads from morrisons or any supermarket!! Food and water as usual, although he may not want to eat his pellets so try parsley or whatever his fave thing is to get him started. Keep an eye on his wees and poos to make sure hes going to the toilet.

He may be quieter than normal so just keep him warm and comfy. You may have to take him back to vet for tummy movement jab and painkiller following day and they will check the wound.

hope this helps xx

Casey was kept inside over night as he is an outdoor bun. However he was hopping around and showing signs of boredom I put him back outside nearly straight away. He was much happier with his usual routine. I just checked his stiches everyday and made sure he had as much pellet food as he wanted the first couple of days. One of the best bits of advice I was given was to feed him as much of his favourite food (ss pellets) the day before and leading up to the op to aid speedy recovery. I have to say though rabbit castrations are very straight forward, especially compared to other small animals.
I hope it all goes well for you.

i will still worry bout my baby! lol :)

Right ok, sounds like the usual thing :) i just know rabbits are more suseptible to shock and tummy probs han most animals. so i worry :( He has cardboard shreds and hay in his litter box. He likes to eat his hay and poo lol. Should i move the hay? I think the cardboards bits will be ok and wont stick :)

Both my boys were aloud to stay in the house for a couple of days. There eating habbits werent normal at first and they drank loads of water.

kd2002.jpg

And they both got collars to wear :(
it was such a wee shame for them but it did mean they couldnt get to their stitches. Sammy got done first and we took the collar off him when we were about and put it back on at night. Sometimes you couldnt tell if they were cleaning or pulling at their stitches.
The collar did get into a mess:roll: I dont think all vets give them collars.

Both my boys were aloud to stay in the house for a couple of days. There eating habbits werent normal at first and they drank loads of water.

kd2002.jpg

And they both got collars to wear :(
it was such a wee shame for them but it did mean they couldnt get to their stitches. Sammy got done first and we took the collar off him when we were about and put it back on at night. Sometimes you couldnt tell if they were cleaning or pulling at their stitches.
The collar did get into a mess:roll: I dont think all vets give them collars.

Bless them! Awww i think Fiver would die if he got a collar haha. Are there any common complications that can happen? I do worry and id never forgive myself if something bad happened :(

I have given him lots of cabbage, celery and carrot today as a treat lol. His poor plumbs!! hopefully though he will stop having an unnatural attraction to my slippers :lol:

Bless them! Awww i think Fiver would die if he got a collar haha. Are there any common complications that can happen? I do worry and id never forgive myself if something bad happened :(

I have given him lots of cabbage, celery and carrot today as a treat lol. His poor plumbs!! hopefully though he will stop having an unnatural attraction to my slippers :lol:

:lol::lol: Bless him!

I wouldnt give him hay to sit on hun as it could affect his wound :) Id use something like vet bed and put the hay up in a hay rack :) apart from that everything sounds ok :)

Theres very few things that can go wrong hun, the most common problem ive had with foster buns is them undoing the stitches :evil: So a collar is adviseable :)

Aslong as hes wee/pooing/eating/drinking ok there will be no need to worry :)

Will be thinking of him xXx

Personally I wouldn't suggest a collar unless he continually chews at his wound. I would just use the shout 'oi' and provide distraction as far as possible. Collars make it difficult for them to eat and drink (including reaching round to eat their caecatrophs) and this is so vital after the op, for bunnies far more than for other animals as their guts can shut down so quickly. It is also very stressful for them as they are prey animals and get very stressed if they can't see all around them.

When you pick him up, check that he has had some painkiller and just leave him quietly for the evening. I would provide a bowl as well as a bottle, as buns recovering from GA tend to find it easier to lap from a bowl, and would provide normal food. As far as possible I'd use a hay rack, as hay on the floor could stick into his wound. He is bound to feel a little groggy but should have really perked up by the morning.

PS Yes after a few weeks he will probably fall out of love with your slippers. My bunny Fluffybunny used to hump my Winnie-the-Pooh slippers prior to his 'op' :lol:

Thanx very much :) i will make sure to clean out his litter tray while he's at the vets and put his hay in a rack. I will miss him so much while he's there! No anoying fur ball under my feet constantly grunting at me and tryin to hump my foot. Or scavanging for food. Or chewing wires.. hmm maybe it will be nice and peacful lol! No i will miss him dearly! i'll be waitin for 3pm when i can usually ring and check (at least its been that time with the rats)

*breathes* He'll be fine.. I'll give him extreme love tonight haha. It'll be his first time on a bus bless him lol :) i wonder what he'll make of it.

My OH wont be able to whinge at me to get him done now (she doesn't like him pooing everywhere, humping various legs and occasionally spraying) i couldn't care-less lol! Get this over and done with and hopefull no more operations!

What a bad christmas present! i bet he'd have preferred good old fasioned coal :lol:

Hows Fiver after the op? Im sure hes ok but a bit grumpy after what youve had done to him!! My vet didnt use stitches on Tyler, they used a glue instead so no need for collar or risk of self stitch removal.

Sending him a big bunny hug anyway...

Thankyou :) I think Fiver has only got stitches on the inside. I requested a cone just in case and have caught him obsessivly licking his wound. I put the collar on so he wouldn't make himself sore but he freaked out bless him. He just tried his hardest to get it off and it looked like he's gunna end up hurting himself more with the cone on than without :s

What i do? Leave it off or put it on and just see if he gets used to it.

is he any calmer with the collar now? I wouldnt think licking would harm him-dogs lick wounds to help heal but dont know if its the same for buns.

Hows the drinking and eating? Id take collar off if he hasnt drunk or eaten anything. maybe let him roam the house and he may relax.

i have left the collar off as he hated it sooo much lol. He has drank but isn't too interested in his pellets, which he usually goesinsane for :? I gave him a bit of cabbage and he ismunching that but dont want to give him too much veg. He hasn't really touched his hay either but that may be coz he's not used to having it up in a rack.

He's been sleeping most of the time and just resting, he wanted to be out at first but now he seems fine just relazing. I will check his poorly bits soon to see if they are ok and that he hasn't been worrying them.

:) any advice is still welcome.

xx

I need some advice soonish. I know it's late. But i've noticed that Fiver's eye is really really sore :( He can't open it and he's growling at me so it's obviously painful. Does anybody know why this might be? I noticed a little bit of goo on his eye whe i brought him home but presumed it was the cream they use to hydrate their eyes when they are under aneasthetic.

Is this something i should be worried about, his other eye seems perfectly ok it's just the one :(

They have to put some eye drop on the eye due to the surgery. I can't remember the name but it's part of the surgery.

You can put some "natural tear drop" to comfort his eye if you like. I use it some what often as I have dry eye due to LASIK Surgery. I go w/ the brand name Allergan, and the product is called Celluvisc. But any natural tear drop is fine. Do call your vet tomorrow and tell them the situation.

As to the open wound, when my bridge bun Goofball had her surgery, there was the stitched wound. Although it's internally stitched, I put a big patch of non-sterile
pad on it. They are about 4 in. x 3 in.

I then put non-stick "green" painter tape around the pad, wrap around her fur on all for corners (cross diagonal). They are non stick, as long
as you remove them once a day, it doesn't stick to her skin, not to mention I warp it around her fur.

The method works perfectly. The pad is so large, she can't dig thru the pad and touch the wound. And if 1 pad is not large enough, get a
2nd one. A big box of 100 is only like $15.

Now, supposedly, they said the wound needs to breathe, but it will still sealed w/ the pad and prevent you a case of infection.

His wound seems ok this morning although ut's difficult to tell as he just flails everytime i try to take a look :S

Hos eye is less red but still seems sore and he does close it now and again. Seems to be better though.

What exactly is it? Is it just from being under aneasthetic?

He seems perfectly ok in himself, apart from very grumpy lmao. He is currently chewin me. o_O he doesn't seem too interested in his food so im gunna give him some veg as i know he does eat this :) I think he's being picky. I'm goin to keep an eye on his eye (lol) i don't want to bother the vet over something that will go away by itself and it seems to be gettin better :)

I dont know about the eye but i would call the vet even if you only speak to the nurses.

It took a few days for Ty to start eating properly but as long as hes pooing and eating bits. Is he weeing ok?

Yes he is weeing and pooing ok. Also his eye has improved loads :) Still a bit red but he's not closing it in pain anymore. He's also eaten hay, veg and some pellets too :)

He must be happy as he has been binkying (although rather gingerly)

Back