• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

Veg from the fridge...too cold?

Boudicca

Warren Veteran
I keep my bunny veggies in the fridge and serve them straight up at meal times. My buns gorge themselves then flop out, sometimes stretching. I assumed that it was coz they had had a bink then over stuffed and were just chilling after their meal, but I was wondering could it be because the food is too cold for their tummies?! Should I allow the food to get nearer room temp first...although they might eat me instead while waiting :lol:

I always take mine out about an hour before I feed them so that it warms up a bit, for the same reasons you've raised really.
Mine are outdoor buns so I reckon they're cold enough without having a cold breakfast.
I guess wild rabbits eat cold food, but are themselves warmer 'cos of the energy they are burning foraging.

I've heard it can be bad for their tummies but I'm not sure so now when I heat their snugglesafes I take their veg out the fridge to stand at room temp, then I give it them at the same time as their snugglesafes.

Hmm I think an experiment is in order! I will try letting it warm up and see their reaction to it being warmer!

It isnt good for them to eat it straight from the fridge, i leave mine out for an hour before giving it to them

As i have 3 snugglesafes to heat... which takes abour 20 mins, i take the veggies out when i put the first snugglesafe in to heat :)

I wouldnt like to leave the veg out too long as spring green leaves go floppy if left out too long :?

i get the veg out of the fridge about 15mins before i give them BUT the water i rinse them in is ice cold most days so its like they are fresh from the fridge

i rince mine with warm water to heat them up a bit, then with colder water, and then dry, then there a nice temperature and my bun always loves them.

I keep the veggies in the fridge but, as I have to wash them to eliminate all the toxics, I wash then with warm water so the are not that cold.

Back