• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

mxy jabs - a money making scheme??

weeble

We have just had a new girl start at work whos auntie is a rabbit breeder :censored:. I have been very polite to her about it and diplomatically for me kept my mouth shut! ( I think there will be a lot of tounge biting in future) However she came in this morning and told me that her aunties vet has told her that mxy and vhd jabs are all a money making scheme and dont provide any protection! I just smiled politely and got on with my work. There is NO WAY THAT I WOULD NOT vac mine but I'm just interested what other peoples thoughts are on this?

Last edited:
They are definately NOT a money making scheme in my humble opinion. It is the difference between a bun surviving or dying a horrible death if they are unfortunate enough to contract myxi.

most vets do make a lot of money out of vacs..be it for rabbits, dogs or cats....
but they do give protection so don't let the uneducated put you off..
did you ask if her breeding was a money making scheme?:(

I don't know why so many people are keen to believe things they hear off a friend rather than professional vetinary advice but I've heard things like that many times too :?

most vets do make a lot of money out of vacs..be it for rabbits, dogs or cats....
but they do give protection so don't let the uneducated put you off..
did you ask if her breeding was a money making scheme?:(
No I'm being quiet and keeping my thoughts to myself on the subject - its not something I can do anything about as they are not her rabbits and I have to work with her :( Mine will still be getting their mxy and panacur twice a year, their vhd and other such luxury items (sarcastic tone)

When the RWA were fighting to get a VHD Vac licenced a breeder told an RWA member that 'vaccines are pointless as they offer little, if any protection'.
A few months later he lost his entire 'stock' to VHD.......................

I would rather get mine done, that way at least if they get myxi they have a better chance of getting well again and won't have to suffer a painful, horrible death and also my heart can stay clear that I did my best to prevent it.

I believe they are money making schemes where dogs and cats are involved. I do however feel they are worthwhile for rabbits.

I was told that it is pretty pointless because its a bit like the flu jab it might protect against one strain, but not all! Mine are and always will be vaccinated, even if it is for just one strain, I would never forgive myself if they caught something I could have at least tried to prevent!

a rabbit without the myxi vaccination will not survive myxi. a rabbit who catches it when under protection from the vaccination has a good chance with a good vet of pulling through. why take away thier chance?
i find this attitude very frustrating tho i did myself consider stopping givingt he vhd vaccine once i found out how it is made, i still struggle to think about it but i do vaccinate the vhd as well as myxi as i dont feel i can risk my bunnys x

I believe they are money making schemes where dogs and cats are involved. I do however feel they are worthwhile for rabbits.

I totally agree. about the cat and dog vaccinations, but even then, I would NEVER not have the first course of vaccinations. The big difference with rabbits is not all things you vaccinate against are created equal. With something like distemper the virus doesn't mutate rapidly and once a dog is vaccinated as a puppy, it's probably going to be immune for between 3 years to life against that particular disease. Not so with Myxi or VHD which is like when you vaccinate against Leptospirosis or Kennel Cough. Because they mutate quickly or are bacterial rather than viral, the immunity period is much shorter than something like distemper. And unlike kennel cough, they are often a death sentence for an unvaccinated rabbit.

The reason that rabbit breeder thinks vaccinations are a money making scheme is having to protect their breeding stock would eat into the profits of their money making scheme. Resposible breeders of any animals that properly care for them seldom make money in the long run.

Gosh :( How do you keep your cool?! Id have flew off the handle! :oops::roll: My mother in law has exactly the same opinions and it makes me so angry!

All my bunnies and the dogs vaccinations are up to date and it'd never be any different for my pets xXx

a rabbit without the myxi vaccination will not survive myxi. a rabbit who catches it when under protection from the vaccination has a good chance

Absolutely - the evidence speaks for itself...plenty of unvaccinated buns die of myxi...not many vaccinated ones do.

In any case, whether we like the methodology or not, the efficacy of vaccinations has to be tested and proved scientifically before they can be licensed for use.

I also had a conversation with someone last week who doesn't provide her bun with hay or straw because of the risk of myxi...and then went on to rant about how she did that when her vet wrote to her to say she should get her bun vaccinated every 6 months instead of annually. I put her right...but how on earth do you counter someone who says that their bun is 8, they don't feed it hay, in fact they feed it mashed potato and weetabix, and it's never had a dental problem and never been ill :?

Absolutely - the evidence speaks for itself...plenty of unvaccinated buns die of myxi...not many vaccinated ones do.

In any case, whether we like the methodology or not, the efficacy of vaccinations has to be tested and proved scientifically before they can be licensed for use.

I also had a conversation with someone last week who doesn't provide her bun with hay or straw because of the risk of myxi...and then went on to rant about how she did that when her vet wrote to her to say she should get her bun vaccinated every 6 months instead of annually. I put her right...but how on earth do you counter someone who says that their bun is 8, they don't feed it hay, in fact they feed it mashed potato and weetabix, and it's never had a dental problem and never been ill :?

Tell me about it !!
Neighbours Bunny (called 'Bunny') Lived to 13. Unspayed til developing a pyo' at 10, no Dental problems despite being a Nethie who only ate stale white bread, cabbage, rubbish mix and whatever she could find in the garden she lived free range in 24/7.............................:?

Gosh :( How do you keep your cool?! Id have flew off the handle! :oops::roll: My mother in law has exactly the same opinions and it makes me so angry!

All my bunnies and the dogs vaccinations are up to date and it'd never be any different for my pets xXx

Becky, I use this for my dogs http://www.ainsworths.com/site/category.aspx?CategoryId=49

If a dog comes into rescue I have no choice but to vaccinate, but if I was buying a puppy I would use this method. Many dogs that are predisposed get very ill due to overvaccination and I would never risk it with any dog of mine.

I agree that the vaccines seem pretty expensive. I dont know how much it costs to produce them but Im sure theres extra added on top but I would still vaccinate my rabbits cos I would never forgive myself if they got a disease that I could have prevented.

I agree with this. My dogs have their puppy jabs and then they're titre tested thereafter. So far, none of my dogs has ever needed a booster as they've retained immunity for life! My 15 year old dog hadn't had a jab for about 10 years!

However, as myxi is everywhere, I believe it's necessary to protect the bunsters plus the chances of recovery from myxi is slim.

?

i was referring to the fact that vhd is made from a live infected rabbits liveer tissue not the general pre testing of a vaccine before useage.

Back