• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

Rabbit in a hamster cage......

Lspacehopper

Wise Old Thumper
We had a lady who is a carer and works for the council ask us if we'd be able to take in a rabbit that one of her 'clients' was keeping in a hamster cage.

We really haven't the room, but didn't feel we could refuse, and she brought it in today.

The people hid the cage from her when she visited, so they knew they were in the wrong. The cage was a step up from the Roddy hamster cage.
The rabbit is an agouti Netherland dwarf and he is absolutely gorgeous :love:

His claws looked like Freddy from nightmare on Elm Street and some have twisted and grown under. Not sure what he was being fed on, but there was no hay present. A visual check of his teeth seems okay, but we'll have a proper check at the vets. All things considered he looks good.

Apparently the family are always having dogs, cats and all sorts of animals appearing and then disappearing when they decide they can't cope. I have advised her to contact the RSPCA next time as they can then monitor the situation.

:cry:Sadly we also had an adult GP come into the sanctuary I volunteer at in a hamster cage! :cry: Sorry but some people should be banned from keeping any animals for life - stupid :censored: people! :evil:

Some people have no intelligence what so ever. Disgusting. At least they gave the animal up.

Rabswood

Sounds like it's actually the fault of the pet shops (again) :evil:. I am certain that I wouldn't hand over complete responsibility of an animal to someone with learning difficulties.

Anyone with common sense knows what is suitable for an animal, but some people don't actually have that sort of brain process. My son suffers with quite complicated and severe learning difficulties, and cannot understand things that you or I take for granted. Yes, he will act guilty and one could easily think that he is reacting like that because he knows what he's done is wrong, but it can also be because he isn't sure, or that his brain hasn't made the connection that it is wrong... and therefore he mustn't do it.

I'm not condoning this individuals keeping a rabbit in a hamster cage, I'm just saying they might not have understood, so please don't be so quick to jump on him/her. I think we should be pointing the finger at the irresponsible idiot that happily gave cats, rabbits, dogs and other animals to this person. :evil:

Sounds like it's actually the fault of the pet shops (again) :evil:. I am certain that I wouldn't hand over complete responsibility of an animal to someone with learning difficulties.

Anyone with common sense knows what is suitable for an animal, but some people don't actually have that sort of brain process. My son suffers with quite complicated and severe learning difficulties, and cannot understand things that you or I take for granted. Yes, he will act guilty and one could easily think that he is reacting like that because he knows what he's done is wrong, but it can also be because he isn't sure, or that his brain hasn't made the connection that it is wrong... and therefore he mustn't do it.

I'm not condoning this individuals keeping a rabbit in a hamster cage, I'm just saying they might not have understood, so please don't be so quick to jump on him/her. I think we should be pointing the finger at the irresponsible idiot that happily gave cats, rabbits, dogs and other animals to this person. :evil:

They knew it was wrong, hence the fact that they hid the rabbit from the carer when she was there for quite a period of time.

They keep on 'acquiring' animals and then they go because they can't cope with them.

I don't know where the rabbit came from originally, but the carer seems to think it ISN'T a pet shop so don't jump to conslusions. It's more likely to be someone they know who gave it to them.

They knew it was wrong, hence the fact that they hid the rabbit from the carer when she was there for quite a period of time.

They keep on 'acquiring' animals and then they go because they can't cope with them.

I don't know where the rabbit came from originally, but the carer seems to think it ISN'T a pet shop so don't jump to conslusions. It's more likely to be someone they know who gave it to them.

Sorry, didn't mean to offend! :oops:

If the person needs a carer, I would have thought they weren't able to care for an animal. The point I was trying to make is that the individual giving these pets to the person is to blame.

I really feel for the animals, no creature should endure that. What upset me was the comments about the person being sick and evil. There is always 2 sides to the story. Rather than jumping to conclusions, I was trying to prevent others from doing so.

Sorry, didn't mean to offend! :oops:

If the person needs a carer, I would have thought they weren't able to care for an animal. The point I was trying to make is that the individual giving these pets to the person is to blame.

I really feel for the animals, no creature should endure that. What upset me was the comments about the person being sick and evil. There is always 2 sides to the story. Rather than jumping to conclusions, I was trying to prevent others from doing so.

Nah...no need to apologise. I'm sorry that I was so sharp with my tone of reply. As a SM for PAH I just like people to know that there are many more places than pet shops out there letting rabbits go irresponsibley e.g, friends and farms etc.

Apparently the children are under a protection order or something, hence the carer visiting. The woman who worked for the council called herself a carer, so perhaps not her official title.

I understand your point of view, but these people knew what they doing with regards to hiding the accommodation of the rabbit. Had they really just had no understanding I would have had a level of sympathy. If the people/persons who gave them the rabbit knew that the people weren't suitable pet owners then, yes, they should also be villified.

Does this family live in Hyson green/ Radford area by any chance (or basford)??

God the poor thing being crammed into that cage like that :(

ETA, sorry read you dont know where its from. There is a family in the above areas that sound like just like this case. In the past ive removed numerous animals from them ,mainley rabbits and dogs and odd birds. rabbits were crammed in hamster cages and couldnt so much as turn there heads, cages stacked floor to ceiling. Dogs crammed into tiny home made boxed things and birds in small cages living in filth and no feathers!! We did get this stopped, was about 5 years ago and all the animals treated and rehomed. Im preying to god its not them again.

Last edited:
:censored::censored: Glad the bun is with you now.

Cookie was living in a plastic toy box with the lid on when I got her. The people she was with did let her out to run around the house though but I was like...a toy box:shock::shock:

Does this family live in Hyson green/ Radford area by any chance (or basford)??

God the poor thing being crammed into that cage like that :(

ETA, sorry read you dont know where its from. There is a family in the above areas that sound like just like this case. In the past ive removed numerous animals from them ,mainley rabbits and dogs and odd birds. rabbits were crammed in hamster cages and couldnt so much as turn there heads, cages stacked floor to ceiling. Dogs crammed into tiny home made boxed things and birds in small cages living in filth and no feathers!! We did get this stopped, was about 5 years ago and all the animals treated and rehomed. Im preying to god its not them again.

It'll be a family in Leicester as that's where I work. I did tell the lady that she needs to contact the RSPCA if she has future concerns. I told her that the RSPCA wouldn't prosecute, but they could remove the animals and then monitor the situation in case they persist in getting more.
Perhaps an official visit would work on their mentality?

Back