• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

Size of wife for Giant bun?

lotsofsmoggies

Mama Doe
Harry has one furry plum :D once we have two they will be going in the new year and it will be mission suitable wife.

Harry is a british giant and I want to know what sort of 'size' could a wife be? Of course being big rules out nethie dwarf, don't want him to squash her. :lol: Any size guides? I can't wait for him to be neutered as he spends all his time outside with buns in the runs, Bless him.

To be honest, if bonding goes well and is done correctly, size shouldnt matter at all.

Its more characteristics than size..

Good luck though :)

Hi :wave:

I have a giant female (British Giant x French Lop) bonded with a medium-ish dwarf male. Both were originally paired with a bun their own size but after their other halves passed away, thought I'd give it a go bonding them and they love each other to bits now :)

If you have the space I'd probably go for a larger bun - my situation was different as I had two lonely buns so made sense to bond them. However as long as they get on, then I don't think size matters that much.

My conti giant is with Jasmine erm she is some sort of cross bred.

I also have a French lop with an English.

:D

My conti, Bigwig, lived very happily with a mini lop until she passed away in the summer. The difference in size was not an issue at all. His current girlfriend, Louise, is slightly bigger but not much - they bonded very quickly. He has always been an extremely gentle bun and I trusted him completely (still supervised carefully in the beginning of course) :D

Size can matter
Even though he will be neutered he may want to dominate and so mount..so if you have a much smaller bun..or a finely boned one such as some dutches or English can be..it could result in broken bones:(
Same goes for putting him with a much older female who may have thinner bone density due to age
Same as putting a bun with a guinea really

So look for a large girlie..(will keep you in mind as all the Christmas cast offs come in!!)

Thank you Jill, :wave: a large girlie please. :D

He is already bigger than Peppa around 3kg in the weigh in arms method. :shock: He's only 16/17 weeks. Keep thinking that isn't enough and feed him lots of veg and pellets. :oops:

I had a conti female with a wild bunny who isn't very big and they were inseperable:D until i lost the female to a anourism about a month ago:cry:

I have a big frenchie with a tiny nethie (the frenchie is the female)
Whilst there has never been any aggression between them I worry that she may jump down on to the top of him accidently as she's a bit dopey - luckily he's very sprightly!!

They were the first rabbits I ever bonded, and they were the only two I had at that time, but if I could choose I'd go for a more evenly matched pair just to take some of the worry away.

My main worry would be when spring fever kicks in - if they do start to bicker you want to feel that one couldn't totally dominate the other because they're bigger.

Back