• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

Ruby update - very bad news - time to say goodbye :-(

HS

Wise Old Thumper
Ruby hurt her leg on Saturday. We were a bit puzzled as to how it happened, as we were both with her, and although she pulled on the bars between her and Pippin, it didn't seem enough for the damage she did.

http://forums.rabbitrehome.org.uk/showthread.php?t=159063

I've been back to the vet this morning, who could feel something amiss now that the swelling has gone down, so Ruby had some x-rays done.

Vet has just called to say it's actually a tumour. This also explains Ruby's weight loss recently and her aggression towards Pippin when they met (only through the bars though).

Not quite sure where to go with this. The vet has suggested front leg amputation but was concerned at how quickly Ruby went under with the anaesthetic, and how slowly she was coming round.

She also suspects that it may be quite an aggressive tumour due to Ruby's weight loss over the last few weeks.

I don't know what to do? My poor girl - I've been in bits for the last hour. She so loves to binky and run and jump and at the moment she is stuck in a pen in the garage.

Does anyone have any experience of this? The vet called it osteo...... (not mylitis, but couldn't quite catch what she said)

Last edited:
Osteosarcoma? As in cancer of the bone?
I have no experience I am afraid, though I believe a few other members do...Jason (happyhopping) for one.

I'm sorry :(

Are you confident in your vet? If not then could you possibly get a second opinion? If your vet is a good bunny vet though I would take their advice :?

That might be it. I'm picking Ruby up in half an hour and will ask the vet then.

Oh my, I am so very very sorry Helen :cry: Poor angel, I am so sad to hear this :cry: Sending massive big cuddles to your girl xxx

Oh dear :cry:

Jason's (HappyHopping) late Goofball had an amputation due to Osteosarcoma. Jason also used Homeopathic treatments.

I guess treatment options would depend on if the cancer had spread elsewhere. I would not consider amputation without first trying to establish the extent of the disease.

I am so sorry the news is not good :cry:

Oh no Helen I'm so sorry, what an awful shock :( Did the vet just x-ray the leg or did she have a look at the rest of her body as well?

Hope Ruby is ok xxx

Awww im so sorry.I think if she was mine before i decied to operate id get them to xray the rest of her body to see if had had spread.they did this with George and then operated once they knew everywhere else was clear
Im thinking of you and ruby x

I agree with Bluebunny and Jacks-Jane. Fingers crossed that it's not spread and an amputation (and maybe a bit of chemotherapy) will have her back to full health a.s.a.p.

So sorry the news was not good. I too would have the X-ray done before any amputation. I hope that Ruby will be OK.

Jason (Happyhopping) used blackberries to help with the recovery of Goofball. I'm sure he'll be on soon.

I'm so sorry to read this Helen.I would also try and find out how far the cancer has spread before making a decision on what to do for the best for Ruby.Fingers crossed for you and Ruby

i would get her leg amputated to stop it spreading and she hsoudl be happyer tbh without cancer and i would wnat to try evrything before any other desisions

We are saying goodbye to Ruby tomorrow. It has been a very tough decision to make, but we are convinced it is the right one for her.
I'm in bits actually, but we have to be strong for our girl.

Oh no :cry: I'm terribly sorry. But I'm sure you've made the right decision,especially if she's in pain. :cry: Give her lots of nose rubs from me.

Back