• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

Fudge has got vet on wed....

FudgeMallow

Mama Doe
I took Fudge to the vets this morning just for a check up before xmas and got her teeth checked as she has dental problems.
Her back teeth are quite long (not causing problems yet) but dont have any spurs! So she is going on wed (her 1st birthday) to get then filed (burred) under GA and i am so worried!:(:(

She has had it done twice before but im still worried! Skye had to get her teeth filed on friday due to not eating enough hay!

I have so many problems with my buns and its costing me a fortune! Its £60 everytime i get their teeth done and its becoming a strain as i only work weekends and have to run a car also!

Is there anyway to help keep her teeth filed for longer as its only been since end of October since her last dental!

She loves the oat, wheat and barley hay and readigrass from Hay experts which i order a bag of last monday which should come today!:?

Anything else i could try? she doesnt deserve this, she is such a good rabbit!

Please help?:(:(

As she is so young it sound as though she as a congenital malocclusion. Unfortunately if so it will be a case of her needing regular Dentals even if she eats hay/grass. It will be particularly important not to let her molars get too long to try to minimise the risk of tooth root elongation.
Has she had a Skull Xray to assess her teeth more thoroughly? That may give more information on the extent of her Dental problems and the general prognosis.

My vet never said anything about x-rays although he did say a way to cure is to find a vet that would take the cheek teeth out!! Deffo not getting done unless absolutly necessary!!!!

I have felt 2 bumps under her chin which the vet said were her teeth roots but he said there isnt any problem yet!
What are the bumps and should i be worried about this now?
My vet is really good but i am looking into a vet with more info on bunnies!

My mum said to me that i should get rid of my bunnies because of all the problems!! Why do people do this, i would NEVER get rid of my bunnies because of teeth problems! i would pay anything for them to have a good life!
It really upset me her saying this!:(

Since this is going to be a regular thing she will have to get done, how often should she be going to the vet for a check up and how can i make her more comfortable and life easier for her?

I feel im not going to have her as long due to this and was wondering if anyone is or has been through this how long was your bunny with you? How old did they live to! i need to know so i can ease my worry a bit!:(:(

Hello:wave:

I have had two dental buns. My first one was a cross french lop called Millie and like your bun she had congenital malocclusion and needed her teeth done at least every 6 months. She had a big problem with her tooth roots though and developed jaw abcesses as a result but with a lot of care and a very good vet she recovered from them and she lived until she was 6 years old.

My current dental bun Leo only started getting spurs when he was 2 years old. He has never liked hay though so that is probably why. He needs his teeth done every 8 weeks because he refuses to eat any kind of hay. He will nibble at readigrass but not enough to wear his teeth down. He is 4 and a half now and is doing ok. I don't take him for check ups because I can tell when his teeth are just starting to get a bit long. He has shown discomfort in his jaw and has had an x-ray to have a look at his tooth roots. They are starting to push through his jaw a bit so he is on long term metacam to manage the pain and zantac.

If you don't mind me asking what vet do you use? I go to Inglis and they are very good :)

Back