• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

my poor rabbit help please

kelly1982

New Kit
Hi everyone i have just joined this site to find some help, i found my 4yr old rabbit life less in his hutch about 2hrs ago, he is in a kind of paralised state he is trying to eat and drink . Not sure what to do does anyone have any ideas what could be wrong . Please help cant bear to tell the kids he has passed away
Thanks kelly

when the gut stops working, they cannot eat or poo on their own and will not survive unless he gets treatment from a vet now, not in the morning!

either that or he could have had a stroke :(

either way he needs to see a vet before the morning for certain, good luck. youre vets should have an out of hours service/

If he is actually paralysed then it does not sound like GI stasis, especially if he is trying to eat and drink. Besides, the internet is really not the place to be self diagnosing. The poor rabbit really needs veterinary treatment now. It could be anything from a spinal injury to a stroke. He is obviously in distress and personally I would have called the vet two hours ago when you first found him.
Rabbits go downhill very quickly and he could well be treated rather than waiting until the morning when he could possibly have passed away by then.

Please call your local vet and they can advise you further. good luck.

Could be floppy rabbit syndrome or paralysis from injury or EC.

Good luck at the vets and keep us informed

Agreed. This is exactly the state both Cassius and Callisto were in just before they passed away....we believe Calli's was linked to EC and Cassius's to a heart condition.

Best of luck :(

Hi all i know its early in the morning but thought id let you know that im back from vets , he said its maybe floppy rabbit syndrome or a brain problem he did say but cant remember the name . He has treated him for both and has kept him in over night i have to phone them in the morning thanks for all your help, i do hope he is ok i will let you know .
Kelly

Hi all i know its early in the morning but thought id let you know that im back from vets , he said its maybe floppy rabbit syndrome or a brain problem he did say but cant remember the name . He has treated him for both and has kept him in over night i have to phone them in the morning thanks for all your help, i do hope he is ok i will let you know .
Kelly

The brain condition was probably Encephalitozoon Cuniculi or EC which is a parasite that can affect the brain and Central Nervous System. Floppy Rabbit Syndrome is usually caused by either potassium OR selenium/Vitamin E deficiency...I've had bunnies with both and it's important to work out which one is the cause, if it is FRS, as it tends to reoccur.

These will be worth reading:
Rabbit Welfare Association E. Cuniculi Article

Floppy Rabbit Syndrome: Flopsy

Hi everyone just letting you know i have phoned the vet and hopper is doing fine he is eating and is on a drip for fluid , the vet said he is doing very well holding his own head and semms quite happy , they want to keep him in another night just to be sure he is ok but now im starting to worry about the cost they said last night it will be £120 , £80 just for looking at him because it was out of hrs and now he has to stay there longer :(

I know vets can be costly but its worth every penny if his live is saved.

I recently took my dog to the vets because his stomach swelled (what i didnt know is someone left the feed room open and he filled himself up) he just had really bad stomach ache from all the food. The vet gave him a scan just to make sure nothing was in his gut and that alone was £90, if i left him to just get over it, he would have been fine but you can never take chances, it just isnt worth it.

Hi everyone just letting you know i have phoned the vet and hopper is doing fine he is eating and is on a drip for fluid , the vet said he is doing very well holding his own head and semms quite happy , they want to keep him in another night just to be sure he is ok but now im starting to worry about the cost they said last night it will be £120 , £80 just for looking at him because it was out of hrs and now he has to stay there longer :(

the first night is the most expensive usually becausw you have the initial out of hours cost, it wont be the same every night.

if you only have one bunny its probably worth looking into insurance, i have four so its not worth it, but if you have one it tends to be usually.

I doubt he would have survived the night if you hadnt got him to the vet so well done, thats whats important :)

some vets allow payment plans it might be worth asking if hat i a concern, but some dont!

hope your bunny continues to get better!

the first night is the most expensive usually becausw you have the initial out of hours cost, it wont be the same every night.

if you only have one bunny its probably worth looking into insurance, i have four so its not worth it, but if you have one it tends to be usually.

I doubt he would have survived the night if you hadnt got him to the vet so well done, thats whats important :)

some vets allow payment plans it might be worth asking if hat i a concern, but some dont!

hope your bunny continues to get better!
:wave: Totally agree. Please keep us posted.

I cant stop thinking about him i couldnt sleep all night, i just feel like i want to go and see him , his life is worth every penny to me i dont want to sound like he is not worth it i suppose its just bad timing being so close to xmas and having 3 children its a costly time of year.

If you are on any benefits then you could always phone the RSPCA to see if they will help in anyway:D
Just hope your bunny comes through it and you find out what is wrong with him:)

Back