• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.
  • Please Note - Medical Advice

Please keep in mind that posts on this forum are from members of the public sharing personal opinions. It is not a replacement for qualified medical advice from a veterinarian. Many illnesses share similar symptoms but require different treatments. A medical exam is necessary for an accurate diagnosis, without which appropriate treatment cannot be given.

You should always consult your vet before following any suggestions for medication or treatment you have read about. The wrong treatment could make your rabbit worse or mean your vet is unable to give the correct treatment because of drug interactions. Even non prescription drugs can do harm if given inappropriately.

We are very grateful to members who take time to answer other members questions, but please do be clear in your replies that you are sharing personal experience and not giving instructions on what must be done.

Urgent Medical Advice: If you need, or think you might need, urgent medical advice you should contact a vet. If it is out of working hours phone your vet's normal number and there should be an answer phone message with instructions on what to do.

Hocks...

nina83

Warren Scout
What does a normal one look like???

Been cleaning my buns bum today who's got dental problems and noticed 2 pink round things on the bottom of her back feet, we clean her regularly however i've never noticed anything on the bottom of her feet before coz it's always too thickly covered in fur

Hi that definitely sounds like hocks which have healed are they right on the heal? is your bunny an indoor or outdoor bunny? my two got it from jumping down from one shelf to the other which was carpeted, I changed the carpet so that it had a thicker pile and problem was solved.

Thanks for the reply, she's an indoor bun and ive never noticed them before. Oooh do u think it could be a result of bathing her bum last week?? We did dry her but could this cause it? Should i do anything about them or just keep an eye on it? She doesnt seem distressed, is still bumbling about and causing mass destruction :lol: The carpets are umm carpets theyre sort of a wool woven thing i think, no option of changing them we in rented accommodation!

All rabbits have a little pink circle on their hocks, which can only be seen if you part the fur.

If it looks red and sore, or if there is no covering of fur, then it can mean the start of sore hocks.

Keeping the nails trimmed short, and dry non-abrasive bedding, can stop sore hocks developing

Back